Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:20:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Monster Manual project  (Read 34521 times)

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
Re: Monster Manual project
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2018, 09:08:12 AM »
I'm back! There was no miniature for Tuesday's episode, but have this one for today's, which features the Purple Worm. I also have some jellyfish I should get out to do a Portuguese Man o' War, comma, Giant, photo when I get the chance.

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/episode-49-pixie-to-purple-worm

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2018, 10:20:03 AM »
Good stuff!

Have you read Ishiguro's The Buried Giant? There's a rather terrifying pixie attack in that.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2018, 10:31:00 AM »
Good stuff!

Have you read Ishiguro's The Buried Giant? There's a rather terrifying pixie attack in that.

I have! I wasn't thrilled by it, but I did think that in places he did a good job of making otherwise well-worn fantasy or fairy-tale tropes interesting.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2018, 10:47:09 AM »
I have! I wasn't thrilled by it, but I did think that in places he did a good job of making otherwise well-worn fantasy or fairy-tale tropes interesting.

Yeah, I enjoyed it but wasn't immediately thrilled by it either. But I do find that it's a book that sticks in your head, and I plan to reread it soon. There are certain visual flashes - like the ogres with the leashed dragon - that are marvellous.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2018, 12:00:41 PM »
It's episode 50! This one's a listener mailbag special, covering lots of questions. Plus: the malevolent Quasit, which is basically an Imp with a different alignment, but hey.

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/episode-50-listener-mail-and-quasit

This little guy is a Reaper Bones model, and before you ask, yes, he's supposed to look like Mike Wazowski. He's not actually meant to be a Quasit, but I reckon one little demon is pretty much as good as another. The guy with the staff is an old Grenadier model, one of the first minis I ever owned when I was a kid. The stone with the carvings on it is a terrain piece for Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago.

Offline otherworld

• Librarian
    • Otherworld Miniatures
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2018, 04:03:58 PM »
(Cough)...Ral Partha...(cough)
Otherworld Miniatures Webstore - http://www.otherworldminiatures.co.uk

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2018, 10:35:53 PM »
(Cough)...Ral Partha...(cough)

My bad. I could have sworn! I guess when I see those thick oval bases I always think Grenadier.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2018, 11:05:12 PM »
I think he was one of those Ral Partha three stage characters in this case a cleric

anyway not trying to derail the thread cool Quasit by the way.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2018, 08:34:13 AM »
I think he was one of those Ral Partha three stage characters in this case a cleric

anyway not trying to derail the thread cool Quasit by the way.

Yeah, he was. A version of him (which isn't this one, but a plastic figure) also came with one of the introductory D&D board games. I got him out of the "tin bin," a big box of cheap loose figures that used to sit at the end of the counter in my local games shop when I was in high school. I loved that thing. I remembered the figure, just not the manufacturer.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2018, 09:06:37 AM »
Anyway, there's a special episode today, thanks to the generosity of the show's Patreon supporters! It's about unicorns.

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/special-episode-unicorns

I got this unicorn as a generous gift on this here forum, and I believe it is in fact from Grenadier, or at least that's what I was told. The tail had snapped off, so I replaced it with a plastic plume or tail or something from the bits box.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2018, 09:49:42 AM »
Honestly, the star of today's episode is the rakshasa, but I don't have a rakshasa model, so the rat, giant (Sumatran) it is!

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/episode-51-rakshasa-to-rat-giant-sumatran

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2018, 04:48:50 PM »
Just wanted to say I've been enjoying the podcasts, but haven't picked any up for a while, off to go catch up.

Chris

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2018, 08:13:56 PM »
Another great episode! I can 'lend' the thread a genuine rakshasa miniature: this old Grenadier one:

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2018, 10:55:29 AM »
Another great episode! I can 'lend' the thread a genuine rakshasa miniature: this old Grenadier one:

Nice! I do have a cool elephant man around somewhere, although his spear broke; I keep meaning to fix him since there's a species of elephant-headed humanoids in Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2018, 11:19:13 AM »
D&D rakshasa's are probably not that easy to find. There are probably a few cat people type miniatures around making it easy enough to find a humanoid tiger man but then his hands need to stuck on upside down  o_o

looks like Ral partha did one back in the day