Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:31:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686556
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Monster Manual project  (Read 34314 times)

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Monster Manual project
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2018, 10:09:12 AM »
I'm astonished I don't have a rust monster.
In May Wizkids will release one in their unpainted line of minis.

Grimm

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2018, 07:54:40 AM »
In May Wizkids will release one in their unpainted line of minis.

Grimm

I'll have to be on the lookout!

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2018, 07:57:14 AM »
Ahhh, finally an episode with some proper miniatures so I don't feel guilty posting to this thread. This Shrieker comes from Otherworld Miniatures and was hastily painted before the podcast released. I'm pretty happy with it, though!

I'm also going to put up a pic of some skellingtons once I get it uploaded.

You can listen to the episode here: http://monsterman.libsyn.com/episode-57-shrieker-to-slithering-tracker

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2018, 10:29:04 AM »
A new episode features both the Snake, Giant and the Spectre!

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/episode-58-slug-giant-to-sphinx

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2018, 08:01:30 AM »
I haven't updated this thread recently because I have been out of town, but episodes have still been coming out. Here's what I have:

Episode 59 covered a bunch of animals including the spider!

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/episode-59-spider-to-stag-giant

A special episode dealt with trolls -- I included a couple of troll images to show either variation or scale creep, depending on your perspective!

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/special-episode-trolls

And finally today's episode features, inter alia, the stirge -- with stirges courtesy of Otherworld Miniatures and hasty paint jobs by me!

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/episode-60-stirge-to-sylph

Whew!

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2018, 08:54:16 AM »
A few new updates: I have added a Tick, Giant to the collection. I could have done more with the patterning -- ticks actually can have quite interesting markings -- but on the other hand, giant tick.

And for today's episode, I was at a loss for what to use until I remembered that a friend had given me all his old miniatures and that they included some GW Lizardmen, which make OK troglodytes:

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/episode-63-triton-to-turtle

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #156 on: April 20, 2018, 05:59:19 PM »
Yikes, that tick somehow makes me think of a bloated facehugger  o_o
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2018, 05:43:41 AM »
Yikes, that tick somehow makes me think of a bloated facehugger  o_o

Yep, that is a nasty looking critter. Shudder.

Edit: Where did you get that grey/black troll with the white hair a few posts back? A beautifully painted miniature that brings out the power of these creatures. I would like to try to get hold of one of those. Great podcast on trolls btw.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:26:42 AM by Little Odo »
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2018, 10:47:04 AM »
Yep, that is a nasty looking critter. Shudder.

Edit: Where did you get that grey/black troll with the white hair a few posts back? A beautifully painted miniature that brings out the power of these creatures. I would like to try to get hold of one of those. Great podcast on trolls btw.
Looks like one of the old Julie Guthrie Trolls from Grenadier. Mirliton is selling them, albeit only in a set with 15mm Goblins.
sanity is for cowards

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #159 on: April 21, 2018, 11:22:05 AM »
Looks like one of the old Julie Guthrie Trolls from Grenadier. Mirliton is selling them, albeit only in a set with 15mm Goblins.

I believe that's right, although I got it second hand.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2018, 08:11:43 AM »
As we get close to the end of the book, we're getting a lot of one-monster chapters. Fortunately, there's a lot to talk about with the vampire!

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/episode-65-vampire

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2018, 11:41:18 AM »
These last few episodes have been tremendous. I think the troll special is the best of the lot - really good stuff.

Have you read Hrolf Kraki's Saga? There's a troll in there that's a sort of winged beast - much like a dragon.

"

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2018, 08:30:17 AM »
These last few episodes have been tremendous. I think the troll special is the best of the lot - really good stuff.

Have you read Hrolf Kraki's Saga? There's a troll in there that's a sort of winged beast - much like a dragon.

Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying the show. I have read Hrolf Kraki's Saga, but not in ages. I think that's a good example of "troll" really just meaning "monster" in a lot of sources, which of course is what we've already observed about "goblin" and "bugbear" and so on.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2018, 08:41:43 AM »
Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying the show. I have read Hrolf Kraki's Saga, but not in ages. I think that's a good example of "troll" really just meaning "monster" in a lot of sources, which of course is what we've already observed about "goblin" and "bugbear" and so on.

Yes, indeed. I think there's also some suggestion (I may have gleaned this from Shippey's The Shadow-Walkers, among other places, and from conversation with a Norwegian friend) that "troll" is often as much an adjective as a noun, meaning something like "uncanny" or "eldritch". So the "troll-women" of the Eddas aren't necessarily what we'd think of as trolls (big monsters) but perhaps something more like "uncanny women" or "fairy women" or "sorcerous women". Of course, every translation renders it as "troll women", but there may be a false friend (in the translation sense) at play.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2018, 06:39:33 AM »
Yes, indeed. I think there's also some suggestion (I may have gleaned this from Shippey's The Shadow-Walkers, among other places, and from conversation with a Norwegian friend) that "troll" is often as much an adjective as a noun, meaning something like "uncanny" or "eldritch". So the "troll-women" of the Eddas aren't necessarily what we'd think of as trolls (big monsters) but perhaps something more like "uncanny women" or "fairy women" or "sorcerous women". Of course, every translation renders it as "troll women", but there may be a false friend (in the translation sense) at play.

Yeah, some people have argued that "troll" is sometimes used to mean something like "witch" -- I like your suggestion of "uncanny." I think that's very appropriate.

It is interesting how often female trolls appear, too. I would say that it's to do with Norse society's rigid-but-vulnerable gender roles, especially when you consider troll insults, but then there's the thing of weapons often being named after troll women. It's all a bit murky, isn't it?

Not speaking of trolls at all, but I guess speaking of things that are unclear, yesterday saw the arrival of a special episode requested by a Patreon backer. This one's about mimics! I didn't have a model of a mimic to use for the photo ...

... or DID I?!

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/special-episode-mimics

Man, I am running out of models as we get to the end of the book. I do have both a Wolf and a Wight, and a Wraith, so that's OK. I definitely don't own a Xorn. Should be OK for a Zombie, which just means I gotta paint a yeti promptly.