Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:15:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Hive and the Flame  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
The Hive and the Flame
« on: September 27, 2017, 11:43:53 AM »
Hello

Has anyone tried this The Sword and the Flame mod?

http://hivequeenandcountry.com/the-hive-and-the-flame/

I have not tried The Sword and the Flame, so I don't know how that work either. But both seems interesting, but I would like to know more.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The Hive and the Flame
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 05:27:52 PM »
Sword and the Flame is a great game!
If the mod is using the same engine it should be fun.
, ,

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 06:45:47 PM »
Well I think it is more an add on than mod, I just couldn't come up with the word when I posted before  lol

So it is pretty sure it is the same basic rules.

I hope this add on has good steamtech rules and such, but I think it is hard to find info about it. It seems it is mainly for Brits vs Aliens of some sort, but I was hoping it would make for a good game of Colonial force vs other Colonial force too.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:13:38 PM »
Yes, it's good fun. I think Terry has brought it to Colonial barracks every year, running several games each day. IIRC it's a supplement and requires the TSATF rules to play.

The basic setup is "Plucky Brits vs. giant bug invasion". I have a copy at home, but haven't pulled it out for a while. I'll try to pull it out tonight if you have any questions.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 11:12:33 PM »
Yes, it's good fun. I think Terry has brought it to Colonial barracks every year, running several games each day. IIRC it's a supplement and requires the TSATF rules to play.

The basic setup is "Plucky Brits vs. giant bug invasion". I have a copy at home, but haven't pulled it out for a while. I'll try to pull it out tonight if you have any questions.

Yeah, is there rules for steamtech like steamtanks, walkers, automatons and such weird stuff? Also would it be possible to play it, say Brits vs Germans or similar?

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 12:46:44 PM »
Have never played, though I bought to see if I could adapt some to other settings.

From the copy I got from Wargame Vault, including typo of own name: 'Playing The Flame and the Hive(sic) requires the ownership of the original The Sword and the Flame rules'. Somewhere else I saw mentioned the Eight Hundred whatever?

The game is very much focused on the self-inflicted bug infestation in the UK. I should think you could do hummie on hummie, but you'd either have to put same on same, or some work to create different forces, as far as I can tell.

Terry puts a fair amount of posting on TMP. Also, I gather he'll talk your ear off if you contact him direct.  ;)

Doug

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 07:58:05 PM »
Yeah, is there rules for steamtech like steamtanks, walkers, automatons and such weird stuff? Also would it be possible to play it, say Brits vs Germans or similar?

A quick skim shows rules for designing your own tanks, airships, etc.

The human forces only include the British. You can probably use the TSATF stats as-is with the vehicle rules to get a more generic VSF game.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 09:28:44 PM »
That all sound pretty good.

Also we previosly experimented with our own take on Starship Troopers (Steamship Troopers), where we fought Brits vs Starship Troopers bugs, I guess this might be an option again for us.

:D

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 04:13:56 PM »
By the way, Terry's recently had a Kickstarter for the RPG he's doing in world. Only thing really multi-national is a book of aerial craft.

I've not heard of him working on anything particular for Hive and Flame, as I've assumed he's focused on completing the RPG work.

But, you're right about his vision sounding, to me, similar to SST.

Doug

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 01:55:16 PM »
There is very informative, lively and gentlemanly Yahoo group on all things Hive Queen and Country (and more).  I've learned an awful lot by being a member.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Hivequeen/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJma2xjM29jBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5NTA5NjU1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA1OTA4MARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzE1MDY3MjgxNTQ-

There is a source book for Venus - exotic terrain, ferocious animals, warring nations and Terror Birds!

The website is http://hivequeenandcountry.com/
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline tsofian

• Schoolboy
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 03:14:22 PM »
Hello, I'm Terry Sofian the main designer of the Hive, Queen and Country Universe, of which The Hive and the Flame is but one part.

One of the books funded by the Kickstarter is a ground machines books. Like the Air Machines one it contains numerous (around 100) designs for the fighting machines of many nations. With this and the Hive and the Flame it would be possible to fight humans against humans. I'm also thinking of doing some War of the Worlds tripods as a free download, for classic Wellsian Martian/Earthman fighting!

We do keep the weird stuff to a minimum, since we are more Victorian Science Fiction than Steampunk, but we do have walkers. I'll be happy to answer any questions!

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 03:33:59 PM »
That sounds exactly like what we have been looking for.

I will give it a try when I have the money.

We always aimed for mostly colonial troops, with few weird characters and a bit steamtech, like a tank or two and such  :D

Offline tsofian

• Schoolboy
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 11:51:48 PM »
Arun my cowriter's Shapeways store has a number of very cool 3D printed machines from out VSF world! This will give a good idea of the types of vehicles we are envisioning

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/objects?section=HQC+15mm+Ground+Vehicles&s=0

Also the President Class land battleship!