Forum > Post-Apocalyptic Tales

This Is Not A Test Koyote

(1/70) > >>

Koyote:
Over the last few months I've been kind of obsessed with the post-apocalypse tabletop wargame, This Is Not A Test. It's been out for a couple of years now, so it's probably old news to most of you.  However, if you aren't familiar with the game, you should go to World's End Publishing and check it out.  If you want to watch it played, Guerilla Games has posted quite a few video battle reports.

As I did with Frostgrave and SAGA, I started painting terrain before turning my brush onto my warband.  For me, aesthetics are an important part of tabletop wargaming, and playing with painted terrain is more important than playing with a painted warband.  

Here's what I've put together so far.

The ruined buildings are kits from Pegasus Hobbies.  I originally assembled this terrain for 40K, but shortly after the release 7th Edition they went into storage boxes, primered but unpainted. I haven't played 40K since.  My adventures in post-apocalypse Seattle (that's where our TNT campaign takes place), gave me the excuse to finish painting ruins.

The mat is made by Urbanmatz.  It's the same mousepad-like material as F.A.T. mats, but the backing is a bit thinner, so it's easier to roll up and transport.

After a few games I realized that the table doesn't have enough areas that completely block line of sight, so I started Operation Block LOS, and I boarded up some of the windows.  

Many of you will recognize the barricades and abandoned cars from the tabletop game, The Walking Dead.  I Kickstarted it, but still haven't played it.  At least I am getting some use out of TWD scenery boosters.  

The 'piles of junk' are sold by Crooked Dice Games Design Studio.

To further the goal of Operation Block LOS, I have since added to my board some sheet metal barricades, which are also made by Crooked Dice.  I also have 4 of Crooked Dice scrap walls, but I haven't painted them yet.

Each Crooked Dice barricade set includes two long barricades and one short barricade.  I bought two sets, so I had six barricades to work with.  The horizontal leg of the supports are short, so the barricades are a bit wobbly.  I fixed this by mounting the barricades  on styrene bases.  

By matching each short barricade with a long barricade, I was able to create two longer barricades.  The two remaining long barricades were mounted on separate bases, giving me four barricades in total.

Koyote:
I've also done some work on some scenario and hazard specific markers.

For the zombie nests are corpse pile counters made by a local guy for a Malifaux event.  I added some grasping hands and bones to jazz-em-up some. I have only three of corpse counters, so I made two more 'zombie nests' from Toad King Castings' bone debris piles and more Mantic Games' zombie bits.  

The zombies pictured in the photo are TWD walkers. I have a bunch, and they come in very hand for the Pest Control scenario.

I also put together some Dormant Ordnance markers.

Here's everything painted.

More later...

Koyote:
My most recent addition is Warsenal's Dark Age Scrounger Outpost.

I outsourced the painting of my outpost to a friend who is pretty handy with an air brush and weathering pigments.  I am very pleased with the result. 

The next step is to put it on a textured styrene base and add some jersey barriers that will form sections of outer walls.  Once finished, it will make great fortification for the Little Slice of Heaven scenario.

Koyote:
My first TNT warband is Tribals,  In TNT Tribals aren't necessarily the decedents of Native American tribes, but I'm going to go that route. This gives me an opportunity to use some of Conquest Miniatures' Woodland Indian models that I have long admired, but have never had a practical use for.  It has also given me an opportunity to use West Wind Productions' Crow Dog Soldiers.

My Tribal warband is part of the Salish Nation, a confederation of native people from the Pacific Northwest who have come together to take back the territory that was stolen from their ancestors.  Recognizing the difficulty of this task, their tolerance of the use of modern weapons is greater than one would expect from people whose core tenet is a rejection Pre-Fall technology.

Below is what my Tribals look like, more or less, after 6 games. During the End of Sequence that followed game 3, I drew the 'Can We Keep It' card and added 3 Wild Mutants to my warband.  These mutants are represented as feral children with hidden mutations (2 have electric aura and 1 has caustic blood).  

Left to right, back to front:

Max (Bounty Hunter), Crazy Jack (Tribal Scout), Brother Coyote (Great Shaman), War Bringer (War Bringer), Black Cloud (War Bringer)
Broken Toes (Tribal Warrior), Breaks Bows (Tribal Warrior), Hawk (Tribal), Yazzie (Tribal)
Short Tooth (Warbeast), Blue Dog (Warbeast), Lynx (Wild Mutant), Ocelot (Wild Mutant), Bobcat (Wild Mutant)

Max is a Crooked Dice mini.  The model's head is a wee bit too small, so I increased its size with some GS.  

My Great Shaman, Brother Coyote, is the Magua model from Conquest Miniatures' Last of the Mohicans set.  The coyote on his base was made by Wargames Foundry.

Broken Toes and Breaks Bows are Conquest Miniatures' Iroquois Warriors.  I replaced the models' muskets with knives and replaced their Iroquois hair with GS hair that better matches the rest of the warband.

Hawk and Yazzie are Brigade Games minis.  Hawk's teeny-tiny smg has been replace with a rifle from a Reaper Miniatures' weapon sprue.

Short Tooth and Blue Dog are Wyrd's Guild Hounds.  Lynx, Ocelot, and Bobcat are Wyrd's Stolen minis.  They are armed with weapons from a Reaper Miniatures' weapon sprue.

Crazy Jack, Warbringer, and Black Cloud are from West Wind's Crow Dog Soldiers kit.  Adding a missile launcher to the model that I'm using as Black Cloud took some doing.  I replaced the model's shotgun with a Reaper Miniature's bazooka and added part of a rocket propelled grenade bit that I bought from Anvil Industry.  Also, this model's face was a bit malformed (bad cast), so I performed reconstructive surgery with GS.  I think it turned out pretty good.

audrey:
Well done board/terrain and the warband is coming along nicely. I need to pickup some barricades from CD.

-A

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version