Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:11:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686468
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: This Is Not A Test Koyote  (Read 68026 times)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
This Is Not A Test Koyote
« on: September 28, 2017, 11:40:05 PM »
Over the last few months I've been kind of obsessed with the post-apocalypse tabletop wargame, This Is Not A Test. It's been out for a couple of years now, so it's probably old news to most of you.  However, if you aren't familiar with the game, you should go to World's End Publishing and check it out.  If you want to watch it played, Guerilla Games has posted quite a few video battle reports.

As I did with Frostgrave and SAGA, I started painting terrain before turning my brush onto my warband.  For me, aesthetics are an important part of tabletop wargaming, and playing with painted terrain is more important than playing with a painted warband.  

Here's what I've put together so far.

The ruined buildings are kits from Pegasus Hobbies.  I originally assembled this terrain for 40K, but shortly after the release 7th Edition they went into storage boxes, primered but unpainted. I haven't played 40K since.  My adventures in post-apocalypse Seattle (that's where our TNT campaign takes place), gave me the excuse to finish painting ruins.

The mat is made by Urbanmatz.  It's the same mousepad-like material as F.A.T. mats, but the backing is a bit thinner, so it's easier to roll up and transport.

After a few games I realized that the table doesn't have enough areas that completely block line of sight, so I started Operation Block LOS, and I boarded up some of the windows.  

Many of you will recognize the barricades and abandoned cars from the tabletop game, The Walking Dead.  I Kickstarted it, but still haven't played it.  At least I am getting some use out of TWD scenery boosters.  

The 'piles of junk' are sold by Crooked Dice Games Design Studio.

To further the goal of Operation Block LOS, I have since added to my board some sheet metal barricades, which are also made by Crooked Dice.  I also have 4 of Crooked Dice scrap walls, but I haven't painted them yet.

Each Crooked Dice barricade set includes two long barricades and one short barricade.  I bought two sets, so I had six barricades to work with.  The horizontal leg of the supports are short, so the barricades are a bit wobbly.  I fixed this by mounting the barricades  on styrene bases.  

By matching each short barricade with a long barricade, I was able to create two longer barricades.  The two remaining long barricades were mounted on separate bases, giving me four barricades in total.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:01:26 AM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: This Is Not A Test Koyote
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 11:51:25 PM »
I've also done some work on some scenario and hazard specific markers.

For the zombie nests are corpse pile counters made by a local guy for a Malifaux event.  I added some grasping hands and bones to jazz-em-up some. I have only three of corpse counters, so I made two more 'zombie nests' from Toad King Castings' bone debris piles and more Mantic Games' zombie bits.  

The zombies pictured in the photo are TWD walkers. I have a bunch, and they come in very hand for the Pest Control scenario.

I also put together some Dormant Ordnance markers.

Here's everything painted.

More later...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:58:10 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 11:56:49 PM »
My most recent addition is Warsenal's Dark Age Scrounger Outpost.

I outsourced the painting of my outpost to a friend who is pretty handy with an air brush and weathering pigments.  I am very pleased with the result. 

The next step is to put it on a textured styrene base and add some jersey barriers that will form sections of outer walls.  Once finished, it will make great fortification for the Little Slice of Heaven scenario.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 04:24:07 PM »
My first TNT warband is Tribals,  In TNT Tribals aren't necessarily the decedents of Native American tribes, but I'm going to go that route. This gives me an opportunity to use some of Conquest Miniatures' Woodland Indian models that I have long admired, but have never had a practical use for.  It has also given me an opportunity to use West Wind Productions' Crow Dog Soldiers.

My Tribal warband is part of the Salish Nation, a confederation of native people from the Pacific Northwest who have come together to take back the territory that was stolen from their ancestors.  Recognizing the difficulty of this task, their tolerance of the use of modern weapons is greater than one would expect from people whose core tenet is a rejection Pre-Fall technology.

Below is what my Tribals look like, more or less, after 6 games. During the End of Sequence that followed game 3, I drew the 'Can We Keep It' card and added 3 Wild Mutants to my warband.  These mutants are represented as feral children with hidden mutations (2 have electric aura and 1 has caustic blood).  

Left to right, back to front:

Max (Bounty Hunter), Crazy Jack (Tribal Scout), Brother Coyote (Great Shaman), War Bringer (War Bringer), Black Cloud (War Bringer)
Broken Toes (Tribal Warrior), Breaks Bows (Tribal Warrior), Hawk (Tribal), Yazzie (Tribal)
Short Tooth (Warbeast), Blue Dog (Warbeast), Lynx (Wild Mutant), Ocelot (Wild Mutant), Bobcat (Wild Mutant)

Max is a Crooked Dice mini.  The model's head is a wee bit too small, so I increased its size with some GS.  

My Great Shaman, Brother Coyote, is the Magua model from Conquest Miniatures' Last of the Mohicans set.  The coyote on his base was made by Wargames Foundry.

Broken Toes and Breaks Bows are Conquest Miniatures' Iroquois Warriors.  I replaced the models' muskets with knives and replaced their Iroquois hair with GS hair that better matches the rest of the warband.

Hawk and Yazzie are Brigade Games minis.  Hawk's teeny-tiny smg has been replace with a rifle from a Reaper Miniatures' weapon sprue.

Short Tooth and Blue Dog are Wyrd's Guild Hounds.  Lynx, Ocelot, and Bobcat are Wyrd's Stolen minis.  They are armed with weapons from a Reaper Miniatures' weapon sprue.

Crazy Jack, Warbringer, and Black Cloud are from West Wind's Crow Dog Soldiers kit.  Adding a missile launcher to the model that I'm using as Black Cloud took some doing.  I replaced the model's shotgun with a Reaper Miniature's bazooka and added part of a rocket propelled grenade bit that I bought from Anvil Industry.  Also, this model's face was a bit malformed (bad cast), so I performed reconstructive surgery with GS.  I think it turned out pretty good.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:08:35 PM by Koyote »

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 04:32:49 PM »
Well done board/terrain and the warband is coming along nicely. I need to pickup some barricades from CD.

-A
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 05:33:29 PM »
Well done board/terrain and the warband is coming along nicely. I need to pickup some barricades from CD.
Thanks. 

Crooked Dice sells some great stuff.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 05:35:08 PM »
Wow, really nice stuff.  I'm excited to see your first game on that table!  8)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 06:01:04 PM »
My second warband, The Children of the Wasteland, are mutant cultists who proselytize with bullets, shrapnel, and flame.

I love, love, love the Frostgrave/North Star cultist kit. I've already used the kit to make a Frostgrave warband, but I still have plenty of models left on the sprue.  My Mutant warband's gimmick is that they are a militant, pro-mutant sect, but they use the hoods and masks to conceal their mutations.  As such, I will be playing a mutant warband with models that have few outward signs of mutation.  Physical mutations must be shown on the models, and I intend to comply with these rules, but same doesn't hold true for hidden mutations, so the bulk of my warband can be straight off the sprue.

Fortunately for me, a forward thinking designer at North Star expanded the uses for the cultist kit by creating a sci-fi cultist accessory kit that includes firearms, hi-tech weapons, and even a chainsword.  Perfect!

Finding a mini for my mutant cultists' leader was easy.  A while back I bought the King of Ghouls model from Imbrian Arts.  I had no immediate use for the mini, but it was just too damn cool to pass up.  Since the mini is closer in scale to 32mm 'heroic' than it is to 28mm 'pulp,' my Omega Mutant will have the Big physical mutation.  Armed with a heavy melee weapon, he'll be hacking into foes with strength 9 attacks.  

Pictured below is Cardinal Corvus, an Omega Mutant with the Big mutation and a heavy melee weapon.  Next is Sister Ovis, a Mutant Emissary.  She counts-as being armed with a shotgun and bayonet.  Lastly, Brother Ick and Brother Ack, are Feral Mutants with the Spikes mutation. They are armed with natural weapons.

Next we have Brother Ferrum (Mutant), Brother Ignis (Mutant Gunner), Brother Crepitus (Mutant Gunner), and Brother Ne (Mutant).

After a few games I earned enough barter script to upgrade Brother Crepitus' weapon to a missile launcher.  The RPG Launcher and extra grenades are made by Anvil Industry.  The arms are a bit big for the Frostgrave plastics, which are 28mm Pulp scale, but the guy is a mutant, so what do you expect?  :)

With an eye to the future, I converted a Necromunda Redemptionist Deacon into a Mondo.  The arms come from the Frostgrave barbarian sprue. Models with the Large rule are supposed to be 8' tall, so to add some height to the model, I snipped off its little feet and added some boots from a plastic GW Guardsman.  The arms and axe come from the Frostgrave Barbarian sprue.

I plan to use the Redemptionist model picture below as an Alpha Mutant equipped with an assault rifle, bayonet, and molotov cocktails.  The other cultist will be a Rank and File mutant armed with an assault rifle (another Anvil Industry weapon).

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 06:28:42 PM by Koyote »

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 06:50:07 PM »
Awesome set up!  Your terrain rocks and the warbands are coming along nicely.  I really like those crow  dog models.

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 07:00:34 PM »
Love what you've done with the sheet metal barricades and the female Cultist leader!
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline joshuaslater

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 08:16:17 PM »
Stunning work!  I wish I lived next door and could game with you!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 09:21:31 PM »
Oh-ya, I forgot to post these.

I'm going to use these TWD Scenery Booster supply counters to mark the objective scenery pieces in the Snipe Hunt scenario.  

After their last scenario, my cultist mutants drew the Wrecked Robot card from the Wasteland Deck, and were rewarded with a free Depend-o-Bot, which is also pictured below.  The model is sold by the creators of TNT.  The end of its barrel was a bit malformed, so I replaced with a short length of aluminum tubing.  

I call the robot IG176/2, or IG-88 for short.  

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 07:43:37 PM »
Thanks for posting. The stuff looks amazing!  :o :o
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 07:58:26 PM »
I've been thinking of ways to break up my VERY grey board.  A friend suggested adding some foliage.  In TNT it's been at least a century since the Great Fall, so it's easy to imagine nature breaking through the concrete to retake the ruins of Seattle.

Below is a before and after shot.  I assembled the trees for a different board, so the aren't based for this board.  If I elect to add trees, they will be a bit taller and a little more numerous.  And my future post-apoc forest would probably be a mix of deciduous and coniferous trees.

So what do you think, trees or no trees?

These photos have convinced me to put my jersey barriers on styrene bases. As present, they blend in a bit too well.

I suppose I could break up the grey buildings by adding to the walls areas of green moss or perhaps some ivy.  

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:45:18 PM by Koyote »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 08:07:49 PM »
Trees, absolutely. Check out videos of people visiting Chernobyl for some inspiration of how quickly nature reclaims urban areas.