Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:13:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: This Is Not A Test Koyote  (Read 68063 times)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: This Is Not A Test Koyote
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2019, 06:56:55 PM »
I've made a few more changes to the map. 

One of the changes is Devil's Shoal.

In my mind, you can't have Innsmouth without a Devil's Reef Shoal.  As luck would have it, there is an underwater shoal in the area depicted on the map.  In the early 1900s the 100 foot high Denny Hill dominated the north end of what was at the time, Seattle's business district.  It is described as taking up the area of 60 city blocks.  Property owners wanted to extend 1st and 2nd avenues northward and make more land available for business.  So, between 1908 and 1932 two Denny Regrade projects used sluicing, power shovels, and conveyors to remove the hill and flatten the land that would eventually become the Belltown neighborhood.  All of that dirt and rock was loaded onto "self-tipping" barges and dumped into Elliot Bay.  Eventually the giant mound of relocated earth formed a massive shoal.  When the shoal had risen to the point where it damaged a passing ship, dredgers were used to flatten the shoal's high points.

In my version of post-apocalypse Seattle, the massive shoal has mysteriously risen to the point where it breaches the bay's surface during low tide.  On nights of the full moon, strange creatures can be glimpsed on the shoal, cavorting about, hooting and hollering at the night sky.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 03:50:25 PM by Koyote »

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #211 on: May 17, 2019, 04:02:23 PM »
Going to sound like a broken record but man, you really don't know how to post anything that's not top notch do you?   :o lol
Love that your renegade reclaimers have a (at least initially) sympathetic background - being essentially the victims of the (in my mind) more aggressive prototypical RR faction, like the Brotherhood Outcasts from Fallout 3.
Those thornberry bushes turned out great as well and seem like wonderfully cheap and low-effort but great-looking LOS-blockers/scatter terrain. Great stuff!  :-*
Thank you for the kind words.

The Renegade Reclaimer player used the name Knights Machina in our last campaign, so I tried to devise a (somewhat) plausible reason for that name. Also, since the 3 players in the campaign are the "heroes" of the story, I felt it best to humanize their individual factions.

The bushes will add more to my TNT board than just color.  I've long been a proponent of using lots of terrain in my tabletop games, particularly terrain that completely blocks LOS.  It's disheartening to have your warband or army shot to pieces before it even makes it half way across the board.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #212 on: May 19, 2019, 05:35:08 PM »
Two more mutant cultists ready to bring death to the unbelievers.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #213 on: May 23, 2019, 02:59:38 PM »
I've started work on the various critters the players will encounter during the campaign.

This first batch are Rad Dogs.  Before you ask, no these are not dogs from the 1980s. Instead, they are packs of wild dogs who, in desperation, have fed on the flesh of Rad Zombies and have become afflicted, to a limited degree, by the Rad Zombies' radiation sickness.   Like Rad Zombies, over time a Rad Dogs flesh will begin to rot and sluff off, but unlike their once human counter-parts, Rad Dogs retain much of their former intelligence and vitality.  Eventually their interest in breeding, grooming, and other social behavior completely disappears and is replaced by an all encompassing hunger.

These models are Dread Wolves minis from the Old West skirmish game, The Curse of the Dead Man's Hand. I have many more critters and human antagonists to paint, so I employed some very basic techniques on these models.  The next batch of 6 Rad Dogs will include some color variation.

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
« Reply #214 on: May 23, 2019, 05:14:54 PM »
Great job. Not seen those wolves before. May need to see if I can find some. They've got a perfect 'starved wasteland' look about them.
Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2019, 05:25:25 AM »
I've added another critter to my menagerie of 'Rad' creatures.  Apparently, wild dogs are not the only predators who, if desperate enough, will feast upon the flesh of Rad Zombies.

This model is another mini from the Old West skirmish game, The Curse of the Dead Man's Hand.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2019, 01:47:26 PM »
I've seen that mini in the LGS, couldn't find a reason to get it. Now I know I need it!

Lovely painting.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #219 on: May 27, 2019, 06:28:00 PM »
I've painted more unpleasantness for the campaign.  These ugly critters will serve as some form of mutant tick.  With a body mass two to three times that of a grown man, lord knows what sort of creatures these enormous ticks find in the wastes to regularly feed upon (maybe they too are part of the Rad Zombie food chain), but if a wastelander comes blundering by, they have no compunction about adding some variety to their diet.

The models are Hell Mites, made by Heresy Miniatures.  It is my impression that Heresy Miniatures is a fairly small operation, but they have a lot of fun sculpts and they've always given me excellent customer service, so they have my recommendation.

I want to start the campaign in June, but I still have quite a few models in need of paint.  To prepare for campaign's first scenario, I need to paint 6 more Rad Dogs and 3 'special' Rad Zombies.  The overall aim of the campaign is to hunt down and kill the Off Worlders (space Nazis), so added to my painting queue are 9 Nazi minis made by Pulp Figures and a few other assorted bad guys.

Offline Iv.An.

• Bookworm
  • Andrey Iv
« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2019, 10:36:24 AM »
The Putin model was roughly the same height as other man-sized models.  The real Putin is only 5'6", so to 'cut the model down to size' I snipped off his boots, removed the top of each boot, and then reattached the feet to the bottom of the model's trouser legs.  Putin's left hand is pointing, so it was a simple conversion to put a pistol in it.  I could have rotated the hand, but I decided to leave it as is.  Putin is shootin' gangsta-style.

That's not right, he's wearing heels. Ask Google: пынеходы  ;D

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #221 on: June 05, 2019, 02:05:39 PM »
I love your cultists and critters. I've not seen those wolves and bears before, they're pretty badass looking enemies! Totally agree with you on the Heresy minus recommendation too, I've got loads of their stuff and it's always great quality. I just need to get round to painting it!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #222 on: June 12, 2019, 06:58:59 PM »
More bad guys for my Dog Days of Summer TNT narrative campaign.   I have another 9 or so Space Nazi models lined up on my paint bench, waiting for paint.

The first are three are crewmen who fell victim to rad zombies and were abandoned by their fellows. 

These minis are German Zombie Bombs from West Wind Productions' Secrets of the Third Reich model line.  Like most of West Wind's stuff, they were poorly cast, but I bought them at a deep discount from a seller of eBay, so I can't complain too much.

These next two are members of Cyborg Hitler's elite bodyguard.   

These minis are Scouring Gestapo Guards from Pulp Figures' Weird Menace model line.  These wonderful sculpts are well cast and their simple, cartoony features were pleasure to paint.  Pulp Figures is one of my favorite manufacturers.

Whats crazy about Pulp Figures is its fixed US prices and how much it charges for shipping.  The company is located in British Columbia, the province directly above my home state, Washington.  Nevertheless, if I order directly from Pulp Figures they will charge me $18.40 US to ship each pack of 4-5 minis -no combined shipping.  Crazy.  Each figure pack costs a fixed $17 US, so shipped, each set of 4-5 minis costs $35.40.

Rather than pay $70 for two packs of 4-5 minis (GW prices), I ordered the same minis from North Star Military Figures in the UK.  Including VAT and shipping, I purchased both packs for $30 in total.

Why order from the actual manufacturer that is 225 miles away when I can get the same models at half price from a retailer that is 4,621 miles away? 

Oh, and thank you Brexiteers.  I continue to appreciate the favorable exchange rate.  The pound dropped a bit lower than it is right now in 2017 and 2018, but according to the chart I Googled, before those dates it hasn't been this low since 1985.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 04:53:11 PM by Koyote »

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
« Reply #223 on: June 12, 2019, 10:30:37 PM »
Lovely crisp paint jobs.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #224 on: June 17, 2019, 06:15:28 AM »

I've finished another two members of Cyborg Hitler's bodyguard.  Below is a group pic of the four completed models.

Below is a WIP shot of some more "very fine people": the saucer's Master-at-Arms, the commander of Cyborg Hitler's bodyguard, the saucer's surgeon, and a crewman with a heavy weapon.