Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:35:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690722
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yakhchal  (Read 1924 times)

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Yakhchal
« on: September 30, 2017, 04:43:35 AM »
In my continuing quest to have the most quirky terrain in the BOB I recently started constructing a Yakhchal. Yakhchals are Persian/Central Asian ice houses that preserve ice through the hot months. They work through a combination of design, specialized plaster facing, and catching wind. I first became aware of these buildings after Juergen Olk first posted a Central Asian Yakhchal on the BOB Facebook page. I believe that this example is from modern day Turkmenistan.

I started with a layered cork core.

Then I cut and modeled the door and drilled in dowels for the supporting structure (maybe a little more than required in after sight)

This was followed with the requisite plaster overcoat

Finally the paint.

I still need to construct a door and am thinking of one more dry brushed layer to lighten it up a bit. Still, I am pleased with the general ambiance. The Dogmeat General's section of the Back of Beyond is an arid, desolate slice of the world  lol  I am also leery of posting the completed project as it may catch the attention of the Beast of Bukhara and his "agricultural advisors" as he seems a man in search of a cold drink  lol lol

Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
Re: Yakhchal
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 03:48:10 AM »
That looks much bigger than I expected it to be. How tall is it?
A.Nik-

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 06:45:55 AM »
Alcide,
The Yakhchal is about 7 inches/17 cm tall.
LB

Offline SaltBrushBill

• Student
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 09:19:08 AM »
I don't know how many people watched the BBC4 biographical film on Gertrude Bell, but it contained some superb contemporary newsreel footage from the Middle East for anyone wanting to see how buildings and people of that area in the early 1920's should look.   It was also fascinating for background information on events in the southern Ottoman Empire and later Iraq etc.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 09:50:12 AM »
Nice one Lon, imaginative and well executed.  Are you hoping this dog meat general is Winalot then?

( UK dog food brand )
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 10:03:39 AM »
Interesting build of an unusual subject.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 07:39:07 PM »
I love it //the cork works so well..now you have a Objective for a Game...

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 09:01:11 PM »
Thanks folks and thank you for explaining Svennn. I would never have understood the reference   :D
Lon

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 07:52:18 AM »
Cool idea!

(sorry...)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 08:42:22 AM »
Most impressive! If I had one criticism it would be that the plaster rendering was too patchy. This was no doubt because it was difficult to fill between the projecting timbers. I modelled a similar building in 15mm, using expanded polysterene as the core. In this case it was to represent 50 foot high dovecotes from Lower Egypt. This is a lower more modern version spotted in a book on world architecture.

My versions were based on drawings of settlements in Lower Egypt done by Napoleon's savants and published in the Description de L'Egypte. They are shown towering over the single and double storey mud brick and adobe houses. The drawings can now be viewed online http://descegy.bibalex.org/ Napoleon in Egypt fans please note... ;)
I found it much easier to sculpt the 'cone' first and then drill holes for the projecting timbers to be glued in (matchsticks in my case). These represented the perches in front of the small apertures for the doves to enter the building).
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 10:12:08 AM »
A very interesting build. It adds quite a bit of flavor. Well done.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 11:38:02 AM »
I couldn't agree more. With every period I game I try and recreate a piece of unusual and idiosyncratic scenery to add flavour to the table. In desert regions, vantage points could be scarce, so quite often scouts and artillery spotters used old ruins etc. from which to conduct operations.
Well done!