Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:57:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690580
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 771
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: East Africa Rifles  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: East Africa Rifles
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 01:42:36 PM »
LOL, I knew when I saw you had posted that the words "politically correct" would be in your post somewhere. You are getting predictable, my friend.  ;)

I have no problem reading books by people who held typical opinions of their time. It doesn't make steam come out of my ears (Except for John Buchan - he can go jump in a lake!). So I shall happily accept your recommendation and get this book. Thank you.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 01:48:21 PM »
concerning specific KAR figures pre WW1...i find the most accurate being a one from a defunct or , otherwise, difficult to purchase , company called FALCON in USA...i mean not the one that is also distributed in UK by Caliver Books...it was another one which listed a line of very interesting colonials incuding Germans, italians, Moros ecc...among them a unique KAR casting in the appearance of pre WW1 with right pouches and tall fez..i should have some of them and , try to post a pict, when ill have time to find it in my cellar

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 01:53:07 PM »
LOL, I knew when I saw you had posted that the words "politically correct" would be in your post somewhere. You are getting predictable, my friend.  ;)

Plinke i'm very pleased  to suggest a book to such an expert like you  ;)..i appreciate your amusing remark but i can assure you that this book will make you curl your hair...even if you have a strong stomach :D :D :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 02:05:20 PM »
Just had a rummage through my enormous Darkest Africa lead mountain. I have both figures. They are definitely Foundry.

Take another look on the Foundry site. The saluting one comes with DAO92 Sikh and Askari NCOs, and the other one comes with DAO97 Askari Mountain Gun.

Thanks a bunch!

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 02:10:14 PM »
Falcon figures are a mixed bag of correctness concerning the Germans though. There German east Afrika askaris are in shorts..wrong..they also make ,what they call SW afrika askaris ..well they did not technically have any there.But if you file down the fez they make great askari;s for Togoland and Kamerun.Otherwise I love their SW Afrika stuff..I think Caliver books carries them under Matchlock Miniatures title.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 02:18:03 PM »
Jurgen..in fact i was referring to another FALCON miniatures label...they made practically  every period in both 15mm and 25/28mm ..it's not the same FALCON miniatures to which you're referring which is better known..
The FALCON miniatures to which i refereed, owned by a guy whose name is something like Kai...is based in USA and had a nice Colonial range of figures sold individually of which i owned some...among them a very nice Italian Askari Penne di falco cavalry, a moro warrior, a kneeling DWA Schutztruppe, some abbyssinians and a rare Italian Askari of the firts type (about 1887)...and an historically correct KAR askari

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 02:26:34 PM »
..I have seen your pictures once ..but I never had the pleasure to see these miniatures..he never made the convention circuit,at Historicon..too bad .I would love to add to my Italians.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 02:35:16 PM »
i can could find his mail adress...he used to answer but then nothing ..
i also discovered he sold some items (including colonials) on ebay..but for me it's impossible to sustain postage from USA
and finally, somebody on this or another blog, told us two yeas ago that he had a stand at a US wargame Convention called " The Siege of Augusta"

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 01:04:58 AM »
Thanx Ital wars..I'll keep a eye out on E-Bay