Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:07:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686579
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Diablo Jon does 20mm Ancients (I've actually finished a project)  (Read 6218 times)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Re: Diablo Jon does 20mm Ancients
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 06:43:37 AM »
Another unit finished this time Cappadocian light cavalry for my western successor army. As usual 20mm metal Newline miniatures. I'm hoping to have both armies finished by new year that means a unit of Greek heavy cavalry and two units of eastern Phalanx  to go in 3 weeks  :?

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 03:08:30 PM »
You're churning these out at a scary pace.  :o
So, no doubt you'll get the two armies finished in time. If you field 'em in anger, don't forget to take some more pictures. Good luck anyway!

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »
You're churning these out at a scary pace.  :o
So, no doubt you'll get the two armies finished in time. If you field 'em in anger, don't forget to take some more pictures. Good luck anyway!

Thanks its those pesky pikemen that always seem to take the time and the next batch are local levy types in median dress so extra patterns on the trousers.. :?.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »
I clicked on this thread thinking it needed some support for 20mm. I am happy that support isn't alone. Nice painting and basing.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 08:50:20 PM »
I clicked on this thread thinking it needed some support for 20mm. I am happy that support isn't alone. Nice painting and basing.

Cheers appreciate it  :)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 08:52:31 PM »
Second part of the western light cavalry “Division” this time Tarantine cavalry who have “come up with him from the sea”. Although originally from the Greek Italian city of Tarantum the term increasingly came to mean skirmishing, shielded, light cavalry during the Hellenistic era . These miniatures are Newline Designs Greek light cavalry with added shields and cut down spears to represent Javelins.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2017, 09:00:25 AM »
Great painting. :-* :-* :-*
Where are the shield transfers from?

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2017, 06:15:43 PM »
Both light cavalries are neat paintjobs, very nice! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2017, 08:31:11 PM »
Both light cavalries are neat paintjobs, very nice! Cheers!

Great painting. :-* :-* :-*
Where are the shield transfers from?

Thanks guys. The shield transfers are Little Big Man Studios hoplite shields, designed for HaT 1/72 apparently, but they fit Newline shields pretty well.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2017, 11:00:43 AM »
Thanks Jon.
I need some for my carthaginians and celtiberians. :)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2017, 06:44:38 AM »
 A couple more updates. The commander of the Western light cavalry "Division" is finished so heres a shot of the whole group

and I have completed my Greek heavy cavalry for my Western successor army (as usual 20mm Newline Designs)

that leaves me with two Eastern pike (already started) units to finish to this project by the end of the year deadline I set myself. Whether I can do that with Christmas on the way waits to be seen and then of course I couldn't resist Newline's Christmas sale  >:D

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2018, 09:20:49 AM »
So with the festivities over I got to take some pictures of my latest unit. Pikemen for my Eastern successors using Newline's Seleucid pike miniatures. I've gone for a more colourful "Persian" look for these guys over the more dour Western pike.

Just one more pike unit to go to finish the two original armies as I planned them. I have more stuff to add but, after many months of painting pretty much 20mm ancients, I'm going to have a bit of a break and cut lose on a 28mm Fantasy project I've been planning one the last pike unit is finished.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 07:21:17 PM »
finally finished the two armies

Ok I know an army is never finished but I did finish off the last eastern pike block for my 20mm Successor armies meaning both armies are complete to the original target I set myself  when I started this project last year. So here they are on full parade

First up The Army of Korragos (Western successor) as detailed here

https://jonsotherwargamesblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/30/the-army-of-korragos-western-successor/

and secondly The Army of Karanos (eastern successor) as detailed here

https://jonsotherwargamesblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/23/the-army-of-karanos-eastern-successor/

I will certainly re-visit these armies at some point (though as you might have noticed I’m on a fantasy gaming fix at the moment) I already have some extra units for both armies in the lead pile to increase the pike blocks and add extra light infantry and heavy cavalry.

The Eastern army’s Indian allies could be expanded into an army in their own right (in fact I already have a load of Newline Indians to do just that) or could be morphed into a Seleucid or Pontic army  with a few extra units. The Parthian Division could also be expanded into an army.

The Western army could be morphed into Alexander’s army or a historical early successor army (can I say Pyrrhus ). While the Greek division could be expanded into army for late hoplite warfare.

For now though I’m just going to bask in the glory of actually finishing one of my projects.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
Re: Diablo Jon does 20mm Ancients (I've actually finished a project)
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 07:31:35 PM »
Very well done. :-* :-*
I wish i was disciplined like you.
Too much projects and none finished. o_o

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Re: Diablo Jon does 20mm Ancients (I've actually finished a project)
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2018, 04:25:57 AM »
Very well done. :-* :-*
I wish i was disciplined like you.
Too much projects and none finished. o_o

thanks

I'm not that disciplined I just hide all the unfished stuff in shame  :'( the fight agianst "ooh look new and shineeeeyyy..." is a daily battle in my wargames room ;)