Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:35:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1st Chechen War in 28mm Kickstarter - Part 2 Announced  (Read 12835 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 1st Chechen War in 28mm Kickstarter
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2018, 12:22:45 PM »
Empress / Kickstarter Chechen / Wargames Factory/ SASM / Kickstarter Chechen / Eureka

The notable difference between the other ranges, other than the slightly larger guns, is the barrel size. Though they aren't Warhammer bad. :P

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2018, 03:56:19 PM »
Thanks.

The SASM  does seem to tower over the others. The Kickstarter ones looks similar in proportions to the others.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2018, 05:20:34 PM »
Not really. They're a smidge bigger, its just that particular one who's on his tip toes (its not a great pose), and his base is a bit taller than the others. Meanwhile Eureka's are smaller by about the same amount to the others. This one may illustrate the difference in sizes a bit better, though again, the SASM models aren't as hunched over.

* SASM are the rear pair - Spectre in the front.

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2018, 01:05:23 AM »
Still not got mine
UK based and one of first in the Kickstarter

:?

Offline steve501

• Librarian
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »
My all in arrived last week lovely models they are a bit smaller than Red Star/Empress Chechen war figures of which I was hoping to match but going to keep them seperate now. Really looking forward to hopefully see a 2nd wave especially Spetsnaz/Recce figures fingers crossed

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2018, 09:06:18 AM »
I take it that the second Kickstarter is a while off? With what came in the Kickstarter I'm short a few things for running games of Spectre (mostly AKs), and would rather have squads planned out first before painting anything.

Similarly a indicator of a release date for Special Artisan Services Ukrainian range would be good. Those are more likely to be released before another Kickstarter is fulfilled I suppose. 

The Chechens are distinctively Chechen, in that its a bit difficult to plan out a force of them with half the guys from the current Kickstarter having RPGs (which isn't really practical for systems where hand grenades are considered OP - Spectre). :(

Offline The_Wanderer

• Bookworm
    • My 15th Century Swiss Blog
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2018, 03:58:12 PM »
Very pleased with the models, but I've never ventured into the realm of moderns before. I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a good set of rules to try?

Thanks  :)
15th Century Swiss Blog: http://hrothgarswiss.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2018, 04:43:31 PM »
Very pleased with the models, but I've never ventured into the realm of moderns before. I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a good set of rules to try?

Thanks  :)
This is a good place to start.
http://hntdaab.co.uk/blog/wargaming/great-big-modern-wargaming-rules-comparison-complete-edition/

Of the modern modern games I own, probably Spectre followed by Skirmish Sangin. Osprey's Black Ops has a slightly different feel. Operation Squad: Modern War has only limited options and no vehicles.

Of course, you could use 7TV2 if you wanted, what with all the military based television out now.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:47:10 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline ChargeDog

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2018, 05:19:13 PM »
(which isn't really practical for systems where hand grenades are considered OP - Spectre). :(

Let me tell you about Skirmish Sangin's hand grenades - a device that has on multiple occasions splashed the thrower's team thanks to the massive damage zone.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:21:20 PM by ChargeDog »

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2018, 11:20:39 AM »

For more generic gaming you could try Chain Reaction by 2 Hour Wargames - it’s free so a test would be harmless and the rules encourage tinkering to your own tastes.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2018, 04:19:21 PM »
I am not using Spectre for my set, more likely to go for force on force and/or No End in Sight

Offline The_Wanderer

• Bookworm
    • My 15th Century Swiss Blog
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2018, 09:41:56 AM »
Thanks guys - looks like there's some good rulesets out there  :D

Has anyone got any good resources for painting? For example any books or websites that would be a decent reference for uniforms/camo etc.? I'm generally used to WW2 models so, as I say, modern stuff isn't something I've tackled before.

Cheers  :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2018, 02:27:51 PM »
Thanks guys - looks like there's some good rulesets out there  :D

I have  Pinterest page and also one from the sculp
Has anyone got any good resources for painting? For example any books or websites that would be a decent reference for uniforms/camo etc.? I'm generally used to WW2 models so, as I say, modern stuff isn't something I've tackled before.

Cheers  :)

I have some links on Pinterest and also there is a painting guide In  how to book. There is also an I sorry on IN ON and paramilitary units. Will link them when home. I know once the minis are on general sale painting guides are being produced too

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2018, 05:19:08 PM »
Those running the Kickstarter have a painting guide in the works currently. I believe its covering the models painted in a variety of schemes specific to that particular conflict, along with (the Russians at least) being instead painted as the Ukrainian Azov Battalion (when they were still a National Defence Battalion and not part of the Army) circa the early part of the war in that state.

*edit: oh and looking at Tiny Terrain Model's Facebook page they're painting up the Chechens as bank robbers for a more modern period too.

I was going to do my Russian VDV up as Ukrainian paratroopers (like the 1% of them who didn't defect) and pair them up with some airborne transports from HLBS possible (or Humvees). Mixed in with SASM's moderns by Igor they should be able to be brought up to a more modern setting (at least "modern" in that they're wearing decade old gear).

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2018, 01:45:57 PM »
For a bit of reference

Osprey on Paramilitary units https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russian-Security-Paramilitary-Forces-since/dp/1780961057

My pintrest page which has lots of bits and bobs for inspiration https://www.pinterest.co.uk/karllowthian/chechen-war/

this painting guide book is good to get an idea of the types of camo. I picked up a copy for this but lots of other good stuff in it too https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=v-qZBgAAQBAJ&pg=PA285-IA4&lpg=PA285-IA4&dq=wargame+painting+chechens&source=bl&ots=sy89ZpaEQE&sig=dIwEkZ4Le1RNamuGKgDK9MIlscc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0vbf4i4XaAhXG6xQKHX6LDgIQ6AEITzAI#v=onepage&q=wargame%20painting%20chechens&f=false

This site has some good info , an extreme collection of Russian uniforms, page upon page of it, god knows where the bloke keeps it all ;D www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5774882

Good old camopedia is good resource too http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=Russia

If you are looking at the history of the war(s) Osprey do a book on them but not much in the way of images for painting.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russias-Chechnya-1994-2009-Essential-Histories/dp/1782002774

a must have for scenario inspiration https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fangs-Lone-Wolf-Russian-Chechen-1994-2009/dp/1909384771
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:50:54 PM by Lowtardog »