Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:07:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690445
  • Total Topics: 118331
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Congo: The bao-bao berries  (Read 1007 times)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Congo: The bao-bao berries
« on: October 03, 2017, 11:09:26 AM »
This is one of the two scenarios published in Wargames Illustrated a while back, and it's a good one.
The white men, led by the botanist, are trying to locate (and pick) the fabled bao-bao berries which have interesting medical properties.
The bao-bao, to whom the berries are sacred, are not very happy about the white men stripping their bushes of berries.
The white men win by picking the berries and escaping with as many as possible, the bao-bao win by killing the intruders and preserving as many berries as they can. They can also eat the berries to send them into a frenzy.
The scenario starts at night, and the explorers used its cover to get picking, filling baskets which were carried away by the bearers.
Then the fun started. One unit of bao-bao ate the berries and became frenzied. The witch doctor started his rituals, involving much breaking of wind.
A goriila was disturbed and charged a group of tribal archers. The white men split up and tried to escape. The scouts were aided by a thick mist, but the advernturers were ambushed by a leopard and the final survivor then succumbed to the terrors of the jungle (single figure with 4 stress). The botanist narrowly escaped with his life and a few berries. The witch doctor overdid his ritual and had to leave the field.
Counting up the points, it ended up as a narrow victory for the bao-bao by 2 points. Had the white men not sacrificed one of their bearers when they didn't need to, it would have been a draw. If the adventurers had escaped, they would have won.
Another great game.
The botanist inspects the bushes to see if they bear the fabled berries, but the bao-bao are not happy.

The witch doctor casts a spell as the drums beat out a rhythm and the pygmies lurk in the long grass

The adventurers are ambushed by a leopard

Offline Captain Reid

• Bookworm
    • Cerro Manteca, 1811
Re: Congo: The bao-bao berries
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 06:20:10 PM »

Excellent.

I love the way Congo builds up every scenario with a narrative.
The Saindoux Campaign of 1757, my French and Indian War blog
Cerro Manteca, 1811, my Peninsular War blog
my Congo blog