Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:25:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: TNT Participation Game - Canberra (Australia) Sunday, 12 November 2017  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
Hello all,

This year Canberra will again host Little Wars at the Lanyon Viking Club. A number of participation games will be on offer including one using TNT. The game we'll offer is based on the 'Skull Deep in the Dead' scenario but have some other things going on such as random encounters and locations to search for special items of varying degrees of use.

We are currently constructing terrain and painting miniatures. the centrepiece will be the Kraken Petrol Station from Knights of Dice.

The game is described as follows:

Game Name: Only you can stop the Rad Zombies

Game System: This is Not a Test (post-Apocalypse skirmish rules)

Game Description:

New Hope was one of the most successful settlements in the wasteland, what was left of the Earth after the Great Atomic War. Success brings its own perils and when New Hope attracted the attention of a local warlord things started to get rough. What no-one could predict was that in the fighting the mineshafts under the areas would be exposed and, over the century since the missiles flew, the folk who sought shelter inside and their descendants have mutated into ravenous radioactive zombies.

You and your closest friends have volunteered to hold off the glowing cannibal horde while the citizens of New Hope evacuate. The longer you fight your rearguard the more successful your mission. Can you hold off the rad zombies long enough for the good folk of New Hope to escape without ending up on the menu?

Each session is anticipated to take approximately an hour to play. This game will pit players against increasing hordes of rad zombies. Players must hold off the zombies for as long as possible before escaping the table. The This is Not a Test rules are an straightforward and fun set of post-apocalyptic skirmish rules which offer interesting gameplay and challenging decisions.

If you're in the area we'd love to meet you and hope you'd be interested in trying our participation games.

I'll post post-event photos later.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
Re: TNT Participation Game - Canberra (Australia) Sunday, 12 November 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 11:11:06 AM »
Just under a week out and most of our ducks are in a semblance of a row.

Participants will have six different characters to choose from and there will be plenty of random events to keep things moving along.

Biggest thing yet to do at this stage is age and 'dirty up' the Knights of Dice Petrol Station I finished painting tonight. Should have time.

LAFers in the area are most welcome to stop by for a game and a chat.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 10:32:43 AM »
Well, managed to get the petrol station dirtied up and weathered using a variety of inks, washes and diluted air brush paints:

Then did some dry brushing and weathering powder and finally stuck some plants (model railway stuff as well as static grass and tufts) around the place where they wouldn't get in the way of the miniatures:

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 10:38:44 AM »
While I was at it I even go a couple of dumpsters (also from Knights of Dice) done in similar style:

I tried using rusting pigment powder but by and large wasn't satisfied with the outcome.

I also did up some weathered shelves from a really cheap set of architectural models:

These were done just with a coat of VGC Neutral Grey and them foam stippling with Vallejo Panzer Colours dark rust and then light rust on top. To finish off I did something similar with Vallejo air colour gun metal except instead of dabbing I would, on occasion drag it across the surface of the model to try to simulate the effect of something being scraped across the shelf.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 10:55:31 AM »
As to the game itself. Well, it went pretty well. We ran three games on the day and each game played out differently.

The first game was a festival of ones as the players found themselves hampered by minimal activations and then jammed or malfunctioning (one character had a plasma rifle) weapons.  They were quickly overwhelmed and swamped under a tsunami of rad zombies.

The second game went a bit better as the players picked off their enemy at long range and then made a stand in the petrol station. Well played that zombies needed a MET TN/10 roll to work out how to get through windows or doors; some were surprisingly cluey. The game ended in  something of a minor victory when the players lost one of their number and the rest slipped off the map.

The final game was the only clear-cut success for the heroes. They didn't spend their early moves sniping at the approaching zombies but instead made a beeline to the petrol station and defended it from there with two players even fortifying the roof. It all worked pretty well and this was the only time all 22 zombies models were needed. By strategic sniping and creating choke points the players were able to tie up large nubers of zombies before the slipped off the table. Long will the folk of New Hope remember the sacrifice of the Depend-o-bot Call Me Lucas as he waded into a horde of a dozen or more to buy time for the other heroes to make it off the table.

All-in-all a jolly fun day out. I caught up with some old friends, made some new friends, and didn't spend too much at the second hand stall. We had players from ages five to (I;d guess) around fifty odd all of whom were new to TNT. They picked it up pretty well and the rules were only consulted on rare occasions.

Photos:

above: the board set up. The billboard and shipping container are also from Knights of Dice - one of out number made up the sign on the billboard from scratch

Above: Blue Peter in his power armour takes on some zombies will the peacekeeper lieutenant snipes

Above: More zombies approach Blue Peter from behind the red counter denoted a jam

Above: Call Me Lucas (with a hopelessly jammed weapon) helps out Blue Peter with a 'biter'

Above: Call Me Lucas and Big Bad Bob make their stand amongst the rusting shelves of the petrol station

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 05:49:43 PM »
Awesome scenery and looks like a really fun game!