Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:57:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689608
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gangs of Rome  (Read 25977 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Gangs of Rome
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2017, 09:20:17 PM »
What I'm saying is that there literally is a coin for a gladiator ally. Whether it has a points value that completely balances it out isn't the main point I'm making (although at this stage there is no way of telling how balanced the game will be, and I tend to be cautiously pessimistic when sales strategies of this type are involved) - the point is that the model of a gladiator is sold seperately from the randomly assigned coins allowing you to field said gladiator. You can purchase the gladiator, but in 20 packs of gang fighters may not find the ability to actually field him (especially problematic if the rules for the upgrade are indeed only found in the packs containing the relevant coins), or you can buy a gang fighter, then find out you have to purchase a gladiator figure to make use of the upgrade coin contained in your pack.

Agree with you. So far is the only thing that I don't like and the reason why I have not pre-ordered any of the allies figures. Except for the dog, of course. I have plans for him, regardless I got his coin. He will join the ranks of my Late Roman warband, as the faithful companion of my Tribune.  lol

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2017, 09:43:51 PM »
Hate to say that I went from exuberantly excited when I started reading this thread, to a few red flags, to a general disinterest in how they seem to be marketing a niche genre. The comment of Footsore buildings being created for specific scenarios it just kind of sours me. There's providing me with tools to make and play a game and then there's inherent mechanics that seem to try to tie a game into being exclusive in the use of a company's miniatures (and terrain apparently) that just kind of sours me. It's been a long time since I climbed the spectrum from 'awesome, take my money' to 'meh, I'll pass' in the span of reading a thread.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2017, 10:54:35 PM »
The comment of Footsore buildings being created for specific scenarios it just kind of sours me.

I don't think that it means what you think it means. I interpreted the comment as saying that certain buildings will have special rules regarding their function in the game, just like any other piece of terrain does in any other game -short of "artillery can't enter heavy woods except by paths" short of thing-, which, in my opinion, makes sense. Therefore your tactical choices won't be the same if your scenario is set in a Suburra slum, than in high end street in the Palatine.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2017, 10:58:25 PM »
What I don't get is the angst that causes a game which neither the rules nor actual mechanics we actually know anything about. It is like if some people is acting preventively dissapointed.  
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:32:23 AM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2017, 11:30:01 AM »
x2 to what Antonio has said in his two posts above.

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2017, 02:58:16 PM »
I was just excited when I saw the announcement, like REALLY excited by the idea but the marketing has soured that enthusiasm. Lots of red flags with minis that seem priced with the 'fantasy tax' justified as it being a skirmish game so you don't need as many figures so you should be happy paying more for... less... I remember this justification pushed on me when people tried to get me into Warmachine with the quality! and less minis! Then the tokens or cards just makes me think of Pokemon Roman edition and a gotta catch 'em all attitude leading to competitive buying that runs counter to everything I enjoy in gaming.
I don't mean to be a buzzkill but it's just my observations and feelings that went from jazzed and sharing with my local group to sort of waiting and seeing but probably my playing style is not in line with Footsore's idea of building an exclusionary psudeo-historical intellectual property.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2017, 04:39:58 PM »
Once again, the minis are bodies, multiple heads, arms, and weapons, a.UNIQUE card, an MDF base, 4 MDF coins, and a set of base markers for wounds and another in-game effect. All in one blister. And again, they are not collectible in the Pokemon sense that you can get them all, unless you literally buy every pack produced. And they have clearly stated that there are super characters to hunt.down, they are all talented in some way, and you use the synergy between your fighters to try to beat your opponent. Unless you are a list-building.power gamer obsessed with winning, there should be a way to enjoy the game...

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2017, 06:01:31 PM »
I was just excited when I saw the announcement, like REALLY excited by the idea but the marketing has soured that enthusiasm. Lots of red flags with minis that seem priced with the 'fantasy tax' justified as it being a skirmish game so you don't need as many figures so you should be happy paying more for... less... I remember this justification pushed on me when people tried to get me into Warmachine with the quality! and less minis! Then the tokens or cards just makes me think of Pokemon Roman edition and a gotta catch 'em all attitude leading to competitive buying that runs counter to everything I enjoy in gaming.
I don't mean to be a buzzkill but it's just my observations and feelings that went from jazzed and sharing with my local group to sort of waiting and seeing but probably my playing style is not in line with Footsore's idea of building an exclusionary psudeo-historical intellectual property.

Fair enough. It is not your idea of a game. I just think that you are misinterpreting how the game will work, making the assumption that it will be a short of Infinity-Warhammer-Magic kind of game, but set in Ancient Rome. I must say that if Footsore pulls off that stunt, I will give them a standing ovation! Imagine a lot of new players interested in History and historical gaming! Wow! I guess that the guys behind Footsore would be thrilled too.

What is the actual information we have?

First, that it is a skirmish game. Second, that each fighter will have unique stats and special rules, with not two fighters being equal. Third, that they will have random pieces of equipment/traits (coins) that you can use to boost your band abilities/skills/available weaponry. Fourth, that games will be scenario-driven. Fifth, that allies are not guaranteed -although you can use them as regular gang members, apparently; just not their special rules, in case you do not own their coins-. Sixth, that buildings are integral parts of the game, i.e. buildings won't be mere decorative pieces -as, regretfully, happen too often- but actual places with which your fighters will interact during the game (at least, that is how I have understand the scant information leaked regarding buildings and their function in the game!). Seventh, that civilians will have an actual function in the game; they won't be simple bystanders that can be forgotten by the players; they will be integral to the tactics employed by the players.

We can conclude, from those facts, that it will be extremely difficult for any player to create an über-gang. It is mere statistics: if every card is randomly generated, but inside a limited range of parameters -plus or minus 1 to different stats or slightly different special abilities- it stands to reason that achieving the perfect gang to defeat "them all and in the Suburra bind them" will be very difficult. We also know that there will be an incentive to re-buy the same fighter, which, comercially speaking, it makes sense (I intent to use the spares for customizing my figures from other projects, so no problem for me there).

Finally, we know that it won't be cheap. 8 quids a figure is a lot of money to spend. On the other hand, with 10 figures -80 GBP- you have enough minis for making multiple combinations and games, both casual or with your pals. Problem, moneywise, will be to create the urban setting. That will be a big investment, indeed. But that would be true for any game you want to imagine, particularly if you like nice terrain to acompany your figures (I know I do). Of course, you can do with cheaper buildings that represent the buildings proposed by the designers, i.e. if a Temple in GoR acts like sanctuary -a wounded fighter can't be attacked openly while there, for instance (I am just making this up; I have not any actual information about how Temples actually work in GoR), you just need to adapt your own terrain collection of buildings to that fact. Maybe you are a good scratchbuilder and can make your own. I know I am not, and that is why my main concern with GoR is how much money I going to sink in scenery and how much space I need to liberate in my home in order to storage that scenery!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:55:28 AM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Offline mr ed

• Bookworm
« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2017, 07:32:59 PM »
The pissing and whining on this thread is almost embarrassing. Even the Facebook group has calmed down more.

The price to entry to the game is your email address. Sign up to the newsletter and you'll get the rules pdf next week.

If you don't want to pay for the fighters cards they're clearly easy to start up yourself. The coins will all be online in hours of the postal packages landing. Likewise the allies.

Footsore/warbannner have made no indication they want to prevent any of this. What they are doing is releasing nice models with high production value bits to let you play the game. If you give them your email address you won't have to buy a single thing.

The building requirements are scenario based. In scenario A you may need a villa. They produce one but if you want to proxy your Normandy chateau who will stop you.

Compared to frostgrave the cost to get playing with base level bits is about 20 quid more.

It's been pointed out above that what they're serving is a niche within a niche. It looks prices to accommodate that and with the production values to justify it.

Also, no power gamers

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2017, 10:48:04 PM »
pissing and whining

Seriously, I won't have it again. Criticism, reservations as well as appraisal and anticipation are fine. Name-calling is not. If you cannot do without, we'll end the discussion for good.

Offline mr ed

• Bookworm
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2017, 06:50:48 AM »
Seriously, I won't have it again. Criticism, reservations as well as appraisal and anticipation are fine. Name-calling is not. If you cannot do without, we'll end the discussion for good.

Sorry guys - I'd been making libations to Bacchus.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2017, 12:45:32 PM »
I'd say lock the thread until the rules are out. People, for some strange reason, just can't be reasonable about this game. A curse.or some such thing. Maybe cooler heads will prevail when folks actually read the rules or play the game.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2017, 02:06:03 PM »
Nah, randomly complaining about things we don't understand properly is what the internet is for :P

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2017, 02:19:13 PM »
I don't think it's been mentioned, but there's a fair bit of info in the Plan of ATK! podcast episode 15.

http://planofatk.com/category/podcast/

I do understand people's concerns over the 'collectible' nature of it; there's obviously an element of it in the game.

For example, the 'synergy' rule gives you a benefit if all your gangers are from the same area of Rome. But as I understand it, the areas are randomly generated on the cards...

But until everything's released, and all the info is available, it's impossible to judge. I'm looking forward to seeing the rules pdf!

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2017, 03:01:18 PM »
I'd say lock the thread until the rules are out. People, for some strange reason, just can't be reasonable about this game. A curse.or some such thing. Maybe cooler heads will prevail when folks actually read the rules or play the game.

Thanks for the suggestion, but no thanks. This is not about censorship.
Like said, as long as we refrain from personal attacks or sweeping statements about people criticising or looking forward to the game or any part thereof, the topic may be freely discussed. People should just remember; disagreement is no reason to feel offended and even less an excuse to be offensive.
Besides, many people (like myself) just want to keep tabs on further updates. So, let's go on with it.