Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:06:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gangs of Rome  (Read 25745 times)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Re: Gangs of Rome
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2017, 06:37:24 PM »
Got an email with a link to the rulebook pdf today and had a quick look through it.

A good few lovely pictures, didn't spot any figures we didn't already know but a complete street or alleyway with minis and scenery is quite the impressive sight, really attractive. With the limited model range, the only downside is that pictures start to be a bit samey as you browse through the book, with the same fighters and mob appearing all the time.

The actual rules themselves seem fine. Given the talk of innovative design concerning the figures' individual profiles I had perhaps expected a bit more; much of the gameplay quite simply comes down to rolling 4+ on one or several dice. The more interesting tactical options certainly rely on the mobs and heaps of scenery, and of course any surprises you can spring on your opponent via those denarii. Most fun seems to be gained from the personal influence markers, which I wished were a more basic part of the game system as they really shake things up.

Overall, I have not been convinced by the rules to give it a try regardless of my misgivings of the system (just giving it a go requires rather too much investment), but I wouldn't reject the opportunity to play it if it presented itself. Seems good fun.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Carpathian

• Bookworm
« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2017, 07:02:58 PM »
Link on Facebook:

https://delivery.shopifyapps.com/-/63b4feebeba8f4ce/fd2ea3c82740c5d2

Still reading...Certainly looks as good as some of the terrain available.

I get that they hope to make money off of the minis plus cards.  One does wonder if they would sell more of them a la carte based on feedback.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2017, 11:34:16 PM »
I doubt that they would make more by splitting it out. They are offering the rules for free, unless you insist on a hard copy, but even then they are selling them cheap. If you look at everything they are selling with the minis, it's not that crazy. They know that you don't have to buy terrain from them, so the minis and game aids are their only way to profit. I'll probably get in on the pre-orders for the minis, just to get the good deals. I may end up making my own terrain, so I could have full investment in an entirely new period and game for less than 200 dollars, which is pretty great if you ask me. My only quibbles are that, as of now, we can't buy card packs to add more variety and that they only have 10 minis for the basic fighters and I want more of those beautiful minis.

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2017, 05:34:09 PM »
My only quibbles are that, as of now, we can't buy card packs to add more variety and that they only have 10 minis for the basic fighters and I want more of those beautiful minis.

You could always use their splendid minis in a different game...  :D

<blink><blink><blink>

<blink><blink>

That would be value adding surely.  ;)

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #184 on: December 24, 2017, 08:17:39 AM »
Thanks to the "jigsaw" base mechanic, the cards, and the MDF denarii, these figures are (and by extension this game is) prohibitively expensive for me. WLG offers a deal of ten for 96USD, which honestly shocks the conscience - even before one considers cost of investing in the appropriate terrain.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #185 on: December 24, 2017, 04:37:48 PM »
Thanks to the "jigsaw" base mechanic, the cards, and the MDF denarii, these figures are (and by extension this game is) prohibitively expensive for me. WLG offers a deal of ten for 96USD, which honestly shocks the conscience - even before one considers cost of investing in the appropriate terrain.
That doesn't seem that bad.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #186 on: December 24, 2017, 08:01:47 PM »
Compared to what?

Ten inch-tall miniatures for a hundred bucks is not what I'd call a good deal. The minis are pretty middle-of-the-road sculpt-wise. The cost is obviously in the components, which serve no prupose beyond a single rule set. Generally, part of the value of historical figs is their utility across systems. Here, you're laying down a lot of money to only play GoR. So the price becomes a referendum on how much you want to try a game with a lot of novel, confusing mechanics that you're not sure you will like.

I think getting together a more affordable (or at least more value-driven) 2-player starter would be the way to go here.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #187 on: December 24, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »
I too would prefer heaps of miniatures rather than playaids. But I like the concept and figures - and many of the quirky rules look good. I haven't read the rules closely yet so I don't know how close it is to typical dice-pool systems (like 2HW or Exalted). I like the head and weapon sprues and it seems that you gets lots of extras which is a good thing, IMO. I can't remember if the ratio of L-to-R hand weapon options is balanced or not.

So far I have only ordered some stuff from Sarissa. But I hope to order a gang and mob as soon as I get my next pay.   :)  I keep going through the deals trying to figure out the best combinations... ;D

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2018, 10:29:02 PM »
Now that this has been released what's everyones verdicts? Have noticed the lack of discussion/battle reports etc.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #189 on: January 31, 2018, 05:19:42 AM »
I'm still waiting for news re. my order...

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #190 on: January 31, 2018, 06:10:54 AM »
I recived mine. Quality is very good, at least in the miniatures I received. I haven't started with the buildings yet. First I intend to finish the gangs, then the buildings, then the mob stands. Once the gangs and buildings are done, I will, hopefully!, play a game. Then I will post my impressions. The rules give me good vibes, though.

By the way, the denarii are actually pieces of equipment. None of them looks particularly powerful, not even the rare ones. That impression can change when I play several games, though; maybe there are synergies that I can't see at the moment.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #191 on: February 01, 2018, 10:43:01 PM »
Ok...so I took the plunge, and bought some Romans - Gangs of Rome finally pushed me over the edge...not really for the rules...I’ve got a set, and they look quite innovative, but I’ll most probably write my own set of fast play, because I have a slightly different end project in mind.

I do like the figures...opted for the mob packs, plus individual figures which aren’t “heroes” ie without all the extra cards etc. Minimal flash, decent poses, and they should fit in well with Foundry, Crusader etc.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2018, 02:48:41 PM »
I'm probably the odd man out in this discussion because I'm not a gamer I just love painting figures and putting together diorama style layouts.  I came upon this particular posting because last night I found the Footsore Miniatures site and saw pictures of the Sarissa buildings.  Oddly the Footsore site didn't say much about the buildings themselves... not scale or manufacturer (at least that I could see), but I was guessing that they were 28mm to match the Gangs of Rome figures.  For years now I have been collecting figures for a gladiator arena layout... lots of Foundry.  I was able to get the Playmobil gladiator arena at a reasonable price (long ago) and have been adding the seat sections (replacing the wall sections) as I find them at the swap meet.  As time has gone along and I have seen what some of you have done with your own gangs of Rome collections my interest in expanding my layout beyond the walls of the arena has increased.  I thought I was going to have to build my surrounding buildings and a little port/dock area, but it looks like Sarissa is providing another option.  Those buildings look great.  They seem to be reasonably priced and all this is really great for an old fart like me who has lots of plans, lots of figures left to paint and probably less time.  I'm looking forward to adding the Gangs of Rome civilian figures and many of the Sarissa buildings to my collection.  I've also recently seen that Steve Barber seems to have some nice figures for the arena audience.

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2018, 04:58:43 PM »
There's an article about the game in this month's WI.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2018, 09:21:50 PM »
Today after my weekly trip to the swap meet I stopped by Brookhurst Hobbies and found that they now carry Gangs of Rome.  I bought up the different civilian/non-fighting figure packs.  Fortunately I had a nice amount of rewards money on my Brookhurst rewards card so my wallet didn’t take a big hit.  Brookhurst’s distributor for Gangs of Rome is Warlord Games, and while the Sarissa Streets of Rome collection of structures is not currently available through Warlord, Warlord seems to carry the Sarissa lines that complement their figure lines so the Streets of Rome buildings might be available through Brookhurst soon… we’ll see.IMG_1300 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr