Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:23:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686473
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gangs of Rome  (Read 25741 times)

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Re: Gangs of Rome
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2017, 05:34:44 PM »
Well the first I ever recalling hearing about it is from WRG in one of their army lists, so I guess everybody stole the idea from them?

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2017, 05:39:49 PM »
What Captain Blood is arguing is that nobody should make a commercial product of any thing that some hobbyist, or group of hobbyists, have ever done on their own. Have I got that right?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2017, 05:49:42 PM »
What Captain Blood is arguing is that nobody should make a commercial product of any thing that some hobbyist, or group of hobbyists, have ever done on their own. Have I got that right?

There's really no need to get uptight about it. My opinion (just my opinion, which I'm allowed to express I'm sure you'd accept) is that this is an example of a company attempting to take ownership of an idea in order to productise it, become 'the official version' of that idea, and make money out of it. It happens all the time - yes. Does that make it ethical or okay? No. Not in my book. You may be happy with it. I'm not. Difference of opinion. Okay?  :)

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2017, 06:17:39 PM »
Sure, sure, but I think it is just the name that is stirring this up, and really that is just an obvious nod the the movie "Gangs of New York", nothing more.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2017, 07:17:52 PM »
I get the captains point.

The equivalent would be for GW to look at the inquisimunda subgenre and then bring out a game of inqisimunda themselves copying the styles and themes of the fan efforts, thus piggybacking on the effort and developments of their fans efforts in order to make money.

In this case however I think the genre might actually be a little too niche for that to be the case. Certainly a handful of hobbyists have made some amazing things around the theme of roman gangs, But it doesn't strike me as a genre that has reached boiling point, To the point that a buisness would see it as a good idea to piggy back on. Rather it seems like the sort of idea you might come up with after falling asleep in front of spartacus, and then when you get round to doing it you discover the existing handful of people already doing it.

If they were to do that, I'm sure there are other genres that are an easier cash in.

but its certainly a concern we should all have, since so much of this hobby relies on community creation .

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2017, 08:11:08 PM »

If they were to do that, I'm sure there are other genres that are an easier cash in.

Does anybody really believe that any of the small companies are "cashing in"?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2017, 08:26:40 PM »
Does anybody really believe that any of the small companies are "cashing in"?

No, I was saying i understand captain bloods point but i think that it's an unlikely explanation and IF they were to try and cash in,thre are easier routes to go down.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2017, 08:27:13 PM »
Problem with your line of thought, Captain, is that no small company can enforce an 'official version' of their game. Even Games Workshop, a titan in this industry, has problems to do it, imagine Footsore!

There is another problem in your reasoning: besides a passing similarity, you have not provided any evidence whatsoever that anybody in Footsore has ripped off any idea from any fan base in order to make their own game.

Edit: I don't pretend to be sanctimonious, though. It is just that I am not convinced by your arguments that Footsore has 'loaned' the ideas of other wargamers for its own game. Like Sir Barnaby I thought it was an 'hommage' to Gangs of New York.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 04:31:21 AM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Offline Kadzik

• Librarian
    • Kadzikowo
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2017, 08:32:29 AM »
I cannot see any attempt to make it "official version" of Roman gang warfare - "Black Powder" is not the only ruleset to play in black powder era of warfare, and you can recreate battles inspired with nordic sagas with other mechanics than SAGA.

Moreover, I'm very happy that there will be more Roman thugs, civilians and other characters available. It's not some kind of monopolisation of the niche! It's another piece of puzzle to this unpopular period (which is ironicaly unpopular due to lack of miniatures)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2017, 08:52:48 AM »
i can understand the captain's point of view but when we post here in the LAF forum, we are aware that it's a public domain where peoples can pick up ideas, craftmanship or even some inspiration.
That's the way it is.
So, i'm not surprise to see a manufacturer extracting something from the forum and try to capitalize on...
to our best wishes... ;D may be

Eric

Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »
So IW Nic releases rules, and that is OK, but Footsore releases rules along with minis and terrain, and they are spoon-feeding us, hijacking other folks ideas, and trying to trademark the idea. ::)

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »
Where are these threads that have made such significant advances to the hobby that there is such cause for concern? I have a vague recollection making an arena in a tin (great idea: I hope the Footsore biscuits are vanilla creams) and another about Jugulla (which for some reason didn't generate any fuss) and maybe something about running gladitorial houses.

;D

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2017, 08:00:15 AM »
Where are these threads that have made such significant advances to the hobby that there is such cause for concern? I have a vague recollection making an arena in a tin (great idea: I hope the Footsore biscuits are vanilla creams) and another about Jugulla (which for some reason didn't generate any fuss) and maybe something about running gladitorial houses.

;D

for information i had this idea (an arena in a tin) nearly 25 years ago..........but it was for sumo game but nobody stole me the idea   :'( :'( :'(

lol lol lol

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2017, 03:43:01 PM »
Snooze you lose in this game.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2017, 11:45:06 PM »
If people are interested, the Combined Arms Podcast did a segment with one of the authors (Andy Hobday) on their most recent episode. It should provide a little more explanation as to the idea and the product itself.