Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:42:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686551
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 10mm Late Roman Italian Field Army (in progress)  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
Re: 10mm Late Roman Italian Field Army (in progress)
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 07:09:31 PM »
Thanks Fred... and just took a quick glance at your link and those are superb, especially now that I realise how small they are! And you're tempting me as well ;D, just what I need yet another project! Well, maybe a small army pack wouldn't hurt.
You go to war with the figures you have, not the figures you wish you had!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 07:25:48 PM »
Thanks Richard - glad they provided inspiration / temptation. A single army pack can't hurt.

What is a bit of worry is that it is pretty much a year since I did anything on this project! Too many different periods and projects!

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 07:29:27 PM »
What is a bit of worry is that it is pretty much a year since I did anything on this project! Too many different periods and projects!

I know the feeling! ;)

Offline CATenWolde

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »
Beautiful work! Those Pendraken LR figures were the first by the sculptor "Clibinarium", and have always been tempting. However, I was put off for the longest time by the lack of comparable enemies for them to fight. Have you thought about that part of the equation yet?

Cheers,

Christopher

Offline Sheepman

• Librarian
    • The Northumbrian Wargamer
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 10:29:02 PM »
Very nice indeed, I have Naps and Caesarian Romans in 10mm but if starting again it would all be in this scale. Keep going, well worth it.
Dave.
\'I raised myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty\'.

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 06:52:50 AM »
Thank you Gents, I appreciate it.

I apologise for the belated reply, I haven't gotten a lot painted as my father-in-law started to go downhill very quickly in November (cancer) and we just buried him the day before yesterday. So, obviously, hobby and everything went on the back burner.

@Christopher, yes I've been working that part of the equation out. I've decided to mix for the "Enemies of Rome." Magister Militum actually has a fairly large selection for all sorts of different armies in 10mm for this period. The problem I've always had with MM (in 15mm) is that they are a bit skinny when compared with other manufacturers and can look a bit odd when mixed. Which is a shame because I think the MM minis actually have the most realistic proportions and everyone else is a bit bulky comparatively.

That doesn't yet seem to be an issue with this scale. Since the packs are still relatively inexpensive, I picked up some Franks, Saxons, and Huns just to try them out. I also found some Goth and Hun cavalry on Col. Bills used mini site, they were Old Glory. And The Baggage Train has a nice selection of Goths and they were kind enough to send me some sample. I liked their Goths as well as their terrain and placed a nice sized order back in October but still awaiting their arrival. The proprietor wrote to me and has been seriously ill for a few weeks and is behind, so I told him to take his time and that I've lot's to paint to keep me busy in the meantime.

I also used selected Pendraken Dacian figures for javelin skirmishers and light cavalry. Their Saxons are also nice.

For Post-Roman Britain, 5th century Gaul, Spain, etc. I've decided to go with the theory of political entities rather than ethnic entities, i.e. lot's of original inhabitants assimilated into whatever barbarian group took over and called themselves that. So for me, that means that I can mix Saxon and LR/Romano-British "militia" for an "Arthurian" army; Goth, Hun, LR Equites for a comitatus, etc.

I have a few more units painted for this post but the weather is preventing me from spraying them with Aegis Suite and "fixing" the flocking. It's too cold and damp and there is a high risk of frosting the minis right now. So when it gets warmer I can do that and post more of the units I've gotten done.

In any case, they seem to all mix well enough not to look too odd or out of place.