Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:01:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690326
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: aliexpress finds.  (Read 22038 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
aliexpress finds.
« on: October 16, 2017, 08:20:17 PM »
I thought we could have a companion to the poundshop thread for things found on aliexpress.

for the uninitiated " AliExpress.com is an online retail service made up of small businesses in China and elsewhere offering products to international online buyers. It is owned by Alibaba.[1] AliExpress is the most visited e-commerce website in Russia and was the 10th most popular website in Brazil.[2] It facilitates small businesses to sell to customers all over the world, and, just like Amazon, one can find almost anything for sale. It is more accurately compared to eBay, as sellers are independent, using Aliexpress as a host to sell to consumers and other businesses."

Just with a few minutes of searching I have found these plastic buildings which would work very well for 15/20mm gaming.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KiWarm-1-87-Scale-White-Building-Miniatures-Sand-Table-DIY-Scaled-Model-for-Garden-Micro-Landscape/32789338514.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KiWarm-1-100-scale-Building-Apartment-Building-Layout-Model-For-Micro-Miniatures-Model-Making-Home-Decor/32792119261.html

If you spend some time trawling through and don't mind a slow delivery time you can get some really good usefull stuff for little money.
Or you can stock up on pretend lego....
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
Re: aliexpress finds.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 09:47:48 PM »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 11:57:40 PM »
For things like bases , wargame trees, bags of flock/static grass etc they are unbeatable. It is where the eBay gougers buy from.

Bases:
https://wargamebase.aliexpress.com/store/2062028
Only place I have found bulk selling 25mm round plastic "non slotta" bases with hollow underneath (to weight with a coin)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 06:34:07 AM »
I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I was going to suggest bases. They have loads of types of bases on there. 50mm, 40mm 32mm as well.
Anyone seen 1/56 / 28mm buildings?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 07:18:56 AM »
Sounds interesting, thanks for posting it.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 02:07:01 AM »
One thing i'd like to mention is something I found on alibaba.com.

alibaba is the bulk wholesale sister site to aliexpress.

You can buy rubber/mousemat style game mats in a variety of sci fi/fantasy/space patterns for about £2 each.
Now you ideally have to order them in orders of about 100 minimum (unless you're crafty and request a specific sample for x amount) But if you run a store/host a club/organise shows/tournaments, this is an amazingly cheap way to get enough mats to put up a rooms worth of tables.
let's say you run a club, it has 30 members on and off. if they all pay a yearly fee that gives you more than enough to make a bulk order of mats from china, and then you can sell off the extra you don't need for half market price on ebay (Or keep them as prises.) and invest the profit made in scenery for the club.

seems like a good way to outfit a club with a good number of nice quality tables.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 07:49:27 AM »
One thing i'd like to mention is something I found on alibaba.com.

alibaba is the bulk wholesale sister site to aliexpress.

You can buy rubber/mousemat style game mats in a variety of sci fi/fantasy/space patterns for about £2 each.
Now you ideally have to order them in orders of about 100 minimum (unless you're crafty and request a specific sample for x amount) But if you run a store/host a club/organise shows/tournaments, this is an amazingly cheap way to get enough mats to put up a rooms worth of tables.
let's say you run a club, it has 30 members on and off. if they all pay a yearly fee that gives you more than enough to make a bulk order of mats from china, and then you can sell off the extra you don't need for half market price on ebay (Or keep them as prises.) and invest the profit made in scenery for the club.

seems like a good way to outfit a club with a good number of nice quality tables.
Throw out some links if you would plz.

Grimm

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 08:21:19 AM »
How do you pay on there? Is it safe to use your bank cards?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 08:59:27 AM »
I've never had any issues on there but that's not to say it doesn't happen. Some of the things you can get are rather hit and miss though.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 09:41:44 AM »
I have the fortune that my bank supports the "ideal" payment system,which feels a fair bit safer than handing over card info.

Do keep in mind that many of the actual models on the are knock offs. But stuff like bases and flock are a bit too generic to be ko's I'd say. I also got a folding light box an tripod clip for my phone on there for dirt cheap. I actually hadn't looked for flock or static grass before, good idea I could use a lot more of that!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 07:03:08 PM »
How do you pay on there? Is it safe to use your bank cards?

Ali has Alipay it's own version of paypal.  This bypasses the old mega-danger of Ali which used to be handing over your credit card info to individual dealers.  I've not heard any reporta that Alipay is any less safe than paypal.

As for Ali overall, I've ordered dozens of items from them. I'd say that one in 8 has arrived damaged or wrong.  The good news is that every time I've entered my complaint, been given a refund and told to keep the item.

For wargame-useful items, I've made a few shopping lists that you all might like.

You probably have to be logged into ali to view them, but see if these work for you.
https://my.aliexpress.com/wishlist/wish_list_product_list.htm?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.KF95HC&currentGroupId=3114086036

https://my.aliexpress.com/wishlist/wish_list_product_list.htm?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.EEyqMt&currentGroupId=3114063136

If they don't work, then there are some search terms that might help.  Ali is still in medocre english, so some search terms aren't very effective, but here are some to narrow things down.

"Sand Table" is a catch-all term for diorama, and miniature things. Pair it with a scale or another word to narrow things down.

"Simulation" is another term that is used instead of model. Unfortunatley "building" or "PLastic building" just gets you a ton of lego'ish sets.

"Alloy" instead of "die Cast". Likewise pair it with a scale or another term.

"1/50" Alot of things that are actually O scale, 1/48, or 1/43 get shuffled into this scale.

"1/75" Alot of thigns that are likely closer to HO or 1/72nd end up under this one.

"KiWarm" is a brand for alot of craft stuff and has the best selection of cheap HO and N scale buildings which are sometimes also sold under the "Outland" brand.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:03:00 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 01:06:50 AM »
Just bought a pack of those brushes. Thanks!

That is cheaper than the Walmart or Craft Store cheapies.

Hope you like them, never had a problem  :)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 05:20:21 AM »
I must get some of those brushes too.
I bought one of these light boxes and they work nicely for those of us that have no photography skills at all
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-Folding-Detachable-Photo-Light-Room-Photo-Studio-Lamp-Lampshade-Photography-Backdrop-Mini-Cube-Box-Tent/32765578391.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.hETqLz