Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:22:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689662
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Harlock's Perry war of the roses corner  (Read 14797 times)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Captain Harlock's Perry war of the roses corner
« on: October 16, 2017, 09:34:16 PM »
So, this is my first topic in LAF and it could have no other subject than war of the roses perry miniatures. I must say that the work of both Captain Blood and Painterman captivated me and made me to try at least stroll the path they opened. So I will post here my painting and modelling of wotr Perrys. I have already assembled some boxes and did some minor conversions. A small step at a time and hopefully in the end I will have an army done.

Lets start with some caparisoned horses. I know there are some of them already made by fireforge, my friends told me 100 times that Im losing my time. But I really think that Perrys have the best sculpts of horses in 28mm and wanted to use those.

Some wips. The caparison is made by epoxy putty (grey stuff, green stuff, milliput, magic sculpt, whatever I had on the table at that moment). The putty was rolled to a sheet, then it was placed on the horse in segments in order to get the shape right. Then some basic drapes, which were enhanced with extra pieces of putty on top of them in the next phase.

The finished product. Actually the caparison is removable if I want. The horse as you may already noticed, came to be after some sawing and glueing together different original poses.

same process different horse.

Some alternative horse poses. The best part to saw them down is right after the saddle. I use a modelling razor saw. Its really easy.

to be continued...

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Captain Harlock's Perry war of the roses corner
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 11:10:30 PM »
Nicely done  8) 8) 8)
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »
Wow, excellent work!

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 07:43:27 PM »
Wow, excellent work!
Thank you Stuart, I forgot to mention your wonderful work in the initial post, Im a frequent visitor of your blog

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 07:59:16 PM »

Next we have a modified horse pose. The horse armour was sculpted on with a mix of magic sculpt + grey stuff in order to have a sandable yet still flexible to a point result. I added a grey stuff headband on the rider to pimp him up abit  ;D

Another custom pose. When properly based, I will add an obstacle for the rider to jump over

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »
Those conversions are fantastic - lovely shape to both the cloth and the armour.
I even managed to focus on the details on the close-up pictures, despite the distractions of russian women offering themselves  ::)

Simon.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:03:29 PM »
Perry plastics offer alot of options, but there are very few heads with real character. I guess that this role is filled in by the metal range. But there is a ''small'' problem there. The casting quality could be better, to state it mildly. I dont know if there are good and bad batches or they are all consistently bad. I got two packs of Yorkist mounted command. This is how they were supposed to look

Horses were ok, but the riders had alot of flash, some details were really thick and most importantly the faces varied from quite bad to lumps of metal. So I was forced to change the heads with others from the plastic range, or in the case of Edward IV to resculpt the face to the best of my ability.

This is the reformed Edward, retouched the face and reshaped the sword because the original looked like a club.

this is a second Edward figure, modified with a plastic head, sharpened sword and retouched some parts of the armour that were messed up by the casting

Some more metal modifications

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 09:08:40 PM »
Those conversions are fantastic - lovely shape to both the cloth and the armour.
I even managed to focus on the details on the close-up pictures, despite the distractions of russian women offering themselves  ::)

Simon.
Hey why I dont get some russian women?  ;D
Thanks Simon, your work is one of the reasons I started this venture.

Yannis

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 09:56:11 PM »
Ok now lets move to some more involving mods. Heads. As I said I wanted some more heads and decided to try my hand. Because Im completely new to sculpting, in order to stay true to the scale and style of the originals, I made some Perry head molds with blue stuff to serve as a base to start. At first I made some minor tweeks and then step by step gone to almost full face resculpting.

the first effort. Some face lifting plus new hairdo

things got more serious

Add some hair, a split great beard, and we have an experienced mercenary captain. Who knows maybe he is one of the Greeks that seeked their fortune in the west after the fall of Constantinople  :)

Taking it further. This time a noble probably Italian with long flowing hair indicating his vanity

I gave him a soft cap (the final one has some feathers added). The cap can be removed if I want. He will ride the standing horse, shaking his great sword, while his pages will hold his lance and his richly plumed helmet. At least this is the plan for the vignette. The sword is made by plasticard, wire and grey stuff. I shaved down the plastic to the correct shape. Then i drilled the bottom and end inserted a wire as a ''tang''. Then I formed the crossguard around the ''tang'' with twisted wire which was then flatenned with tweezers. I drilled the hand, placed the construction and then built the grip with grey stuff  around the wire protruding from the fist.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 10:43:54 PM »
Captain Harlock wrote:
Because Im completely new to sculpting

Really? - well that's a phenomenal start sir!!
Brilliant conversions.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 10:56:12 PM »
Captain Harlock wrote:
Really? - well that's a phenomenal start sir!!
Brilliant conversions.
I used to play alot with plasticine as a kid  :)

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 10:26:11 PM »
Woah these look great. I cant wait to see more of these.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 06:41:08 AM »
Very impressice, especially for a first timer  :o

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 06:46:44 AM »
Exquisite work on these. Following with interest.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 07:41:34 AM »
The effort on these is phenomenal, is there any way you could upload the photographs direct or use a different method of archive such as a blog or Pinterest album as the site you use isn't showing off your work to its best, and I really want to see it a lot without developing a curiosity of what the Kardashians are doing at the moment  lol