Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Seth Drallitoc's - Dracula's America - Project Log.  (Read 4316 times)

Offline SethDrallitoc

• Student
Seth Drallitoc's - Dracula's America - Project Log.
« on: October 20, 2017, 10:31:51 PM »
Hello,

My name is Seth Drallitoc (the H is silent). I love forums - I have been a member of many. I met my wife on one! Sadly, they seem to be dying out. In their place; the book of faces. Fortunately, I am not the only one unable to move on. Looks like there is still some life here.     

To the point -

So LeadAsbestos and I have been playing Frostgrave together for some time now. Although we pretty much always played in the Ghost Archipelago setting, because I already had a bunch of Lustria terrain started for Warhammer Fantasy.

He has been trying to get me to play new games on a bi-weekly basis (we manage to get together to play Junglegrave about once a month yet still, he persists in trying to push new games). 

When the subject of Dracula’s America came up.... I was immediately on board. It just sounded like a great concept.

I bought into the Nickstarter (I admit that I originally wanted in on the congregation force - but he beat me to it. So I decided on Vampires… Again)

We glued our guys to bases and I hastily threw together some temporary terrain and we got in a test game - dragging in another of our Junglegrave players to make it more interesting:

So… That was fun!

Apparently this game has tokens! Lots and lots of tokens…

And no one moves… They all just shoot at each other from where they are standing….

I’m sure it will get better!

Gameplay has never been my favourite thing about this hobby. I like making things.

So I began with this:

A little box for storing cards and dice. Built from reclaimed pallet wood. I will probably have to make another one - to house all those tokens!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:35:14 AM by SethDrallitoc »

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
Re: Seth Drallitoc's - Dracula's America - Project Log.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 10:40:08 AM »
Awesome!  I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.  I'm more a maker than a gamer too.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 01:10:09 PM »
I want to know why such an imposing church was built amidst those slaves shacks! And while you think of an answer, come up with a reason as to why a Mexican Adobe will be on the table next time! We need more terrain!

Offline SethDrallitoc

• Student
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 05:27:37 PM »
Because, Dracula! Obviously!

Thanks to LeadAsbestos we now have a shotgun...

Now I need to find myself a suitable rifleman!

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 05:18:44 PM »

Looking good!  :D
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 06:30:34 AM »
Amazing work- I want one of those storage boxes!
I now have a Blog, like an actual modern-day human!
https://lead-mountaineer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline SethDrallitoc

• Student
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 11:11:10 AM »
Four games in and my posse is starting to look mean. With only one Novice remaining (a one-eyed, Broodkin of all things) we are sitting pretty at the top of the food chain (the campaign board). I have been having more fun than I expected with this game.

The Blood Road Posse:

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
    • Vampifan's World of the Undead
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »
They look really menacing! As vampires are my favourite faction, I was delighted to see you top of your leader board. Keep up the good work and drink plenty of blood!  :D :D :D :D :D

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 07:22:15 PM »
Great looking set of figures.

Impressed that most of your posse are Vets now. Most of mine are injured novices...

Are you still finding the games are stand and shoot? We generally haven't found this. But I suspect it is quite dependant on scenario and terrain.

We haven't found we need too many tokens during a game, a couple of lookout and jammed, and sometimes done markers. Often as the posses are fairly small we don't bother with the done ones, as we can remember.

The lookout and jammed we are using existing options, either the old Epic order dice or just coloured beads. For done I've been using plain 20mm mdf bases, as they blend pretty well with the table.

Offline SethDrallitoc

• Student
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 10:32:34 PM »
Less stand and shoot and a lot more strategic manoeuvring.

I decided to have more fun with my done tokens:

Lookout

Done

Jammed

Shaken

In "Da Spirit World Mon" (Read in the Voice of King Willie from Predator2)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 10:26:49 PM »
Great collection of cowboys from different ranges. Look menacing.

Offline Zombie Ste

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 02:44:56 AM »
Fantastic tokens mate, you really have gone all out :-*

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 07:35:35 PM »
Cool tokens - really add some character, much better than the generic stuff we use.

Offline SethDrallitoc

• Student
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 07:59:07 AM »
So we have been playing Dracula's America for several months now. Here are some of the things I have crafted so far:

Terrain

The water tower (built because I wanted somewhere to put Sebastian Moran [my Sniper]). It is not yet 100% finished* but has seen the table on a few occasions.

This was a laser cut MDF building that LEADASBESTOS brought to the table... It's unpainted brown-ness mocked me for weeks - until I decided to paint it and re-tile the roof. It is not 100% finished* I still need to come up with some kind of signage.

Another player had an idea for a scenario that required a paddock for horses. Some plastic sprue cuttings, poly cement and paint:

I had a complicated idea for how the gate would be hinged but wound up doing something much simpler as time ran out: 

This is an outhouse... Everyone needs somewhere to go! 

It makes a good lean-to as well. 

Here is another thing I threw together in under an hour. Some kind of animal shelter... 

Carry Case

I love my little dice box - but I want more! I want somewhere to put my miniatures and somewhere to store all the tokens. To that end - operation Box MKII, began. We already had a good solution for dice and cards. So I began thinking about the other areas and how much space they would need. I began with the foam. Finding the right material at the right price was hard. I have always purchased my grey foam as offcuts at Canal Rubber, a wonderful store in NYC. Now that I live 9 hours away - that was less of an option. I tried to buy online but the prices were extortionate. So I wound up at Joanne Fabric and found a $9 piece of upholstery padding. I felt okay about it - I had a coupon! They always get you with the damned coupons! #%off any regularly priced item# Stupid small-print. Has anyone ever found a regularly priced item anywhere in that store? So I bought it - and immediately returned it later that day as the exuberant cost, knawed at my soul. 2 days later I found the exact same product at another store marked down to 98c. Someone had left something heavy sitting on one corner, so it was being sold "as is" - but I knew I didn't need the whole thing.

^ too much mindless text? Sorry!
v have some pictures

The colour was not good. I wanted it to be red. I knew I could dye it... I knew that if I dyed it red - I would end up with pink. So - back to black:

As predicted the colour was slightly off and I got a deep blue instead. "Oh well!"

I left the parts overnight to dry and the next day I glued them together.

Stay tuned for the next exciting instalment.

Cards

I recently returned to work in the printing industry (Specifically as a book-binder). I have access to all sorts of wonderful equipment and computer programs. As pointless as I know they are (stats will all change after the next game) I made some cards to keep track my posse.

I was really impressed with the way they came out.

Miniatures

There is so little to show here - I won't even bother. I glued some new miniatures to bases. That's about it.

--------------------------------------------
*Nothing I make ever truely is.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 08:09:51 AM »
Loads of great additions.

The cards look really good, I was thinking of doing something similar. One of our players suggested using them for activation, you flip the card when the character has activated.

The water tower is cool. Always a great sniper lookout, our games always seem to feature several gang members up on roofs etc, to get line of sight, and the plus 1 Dice for elevation.

Does anyone know how these water towers worked? I have a model of one and was looking at it the other day, and wondering how the water got up into the tower? Once its there its kind of obvious that gravity will provide pressure to drive the water down pipes, but how does the water get there in the first place?