Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:24:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's very titchy (15mm) barbarians. A primeval menagerie! (P18)  (Read 37787 times)

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
Everything you show here is breathtaking. I cannot decide if I'm more in awe about your skills as a miniature painter or terrain builder!  :o :o :o

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Just discovered this thread  :o :o

Stunningly good PJs Richard, and a cracking board as well

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
That is an awesome looking setup!
I can already see herds of mammoths and sabre tooth tigers roaming accros it  :-* :-* :-*
Looking forward to seeing the village and escarpment when they're finished.

Cheers,
Stroezie.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Just noticed the Hyborian terrain update. One to come back to and savour!!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Great looking boards / terrain  :-*
the picts sure did get a bad press in ol' R.E's imaginary settings ... sometimes wonder why I like all that stuff  lol
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 10:23:33 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
That already looks like a cracker of a build.
Shall be following with much interest*.
 8) :D 8)

*Whilst seeing far too many possibilities from that fella Mr Evans' stuff.
You are a bad man, sir.
 >:D ;)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Wicked cool  :D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks lads  :)

the picts sure did get a bad press in ol' R.E's imaginary settings ... sometimes wonder why I like all that stuff  lol

Yeah, Howard’s ‘picts’ are kind of stone age, pre-conquest Woodland Indians, a la ‘Flint and feather’, with barely a nod to the historical Picts of Dark Age Scotland.
Copplestone’s picts are kind of Neanderthal troglodytes, so neither one thing nor the other. I do very much like them though. They do shout ‘savage wilderness’!

That is an awesome looking setup!
I can already see herds of mammoths and sabre tooth tigers roaming accros it  :-* :-* :-*

This is a very good point, I will definitely need some sabretooth cats and a few woolly mammoth :)
I know Primeval Designs do some in 15mm, but not sure if they have a UK stockist... Magister Militum are meant to be, but don’t seem to have any stock... Any suggestions, please let me know.

Meanwhile, importantly, I have ordered a deck of Frank Frazetta art playing cards... That will help set the mood  :)

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Hmm, outstanding modularosity!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks lads  :)

Yeah, Howard’s ‘picts’ are kind of stone age, pre-conquest Woodland Indians, a la ‘Flint and feather’, with barely a nod to the historical Picts of Dark Age Scotland.

which was my point really (in as much as there was one), as Howard had certain views, and given the state of things in 2019, there's not much point saying they were of their time ...

Meanwhile, importantly, I have ordered a deck of Frank Frazetta art playing cards... That will help set the mood  :)

every home should have one!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 04:29:36 PM by Bloggard »

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Outstanding stuff.

This is a very good point, I will definitely need some sabretooth cats and a few woolly mammoth :)
I know Primeval Designs do some in 15mm, but not sure if they have a UK stockist... Magister Militum are meant to be, but don’t seem to have any stock... Any suggestions, please let me know.

There are some Ice Age beasts by Mick Yarrow, see http://www.spanglefish.com/mickyarrowminiatures/index.asp?pageid=192885

I have a few of his mammoths, sabre tooths, reindeer &c bought a few years ago to go with my 15mm Copplestones. I think they work well enough together. Fairly old school in style but OK (the website pics aren't very helpful). I'd post some pics of mine but we're about to move house so all my stuff is currently packed away...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks. I’d never heard of them. I shall take a look!

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Love copplestone figs, love your painting style, so it’s a good match, well done.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Captain Blood's very titchy (15mm) barbarians. Hyborian terrain build pt 2
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2019, 12:27:07 PM »
Thank you :)

Onto part two of the terrain board build...

Okay, so as far as the mountainous area goes, from the offcut of theatrical plastic moulding...

I have cut out these usable / interesting pieces...

...and then fixed them down to the baseboard using the hot glue gun...

As you can see, the hot glue is liberally applied both under the plastic moulding (where it abuts the styrofoam base), and over the join in order to seal the plastic moulding down and in place onto the baseboard.
Where I have gaps, I have shaped some offcuts of foam and glued them in place to provide an approximate base for plastering...
The hot glue also acts as an excellent filler. This stuff is dirt cheap and amazing. It sets clear and rock-hard - like solid plastic. 
It doesn't matter what it looks like at this point because all those joins and infilled areas are going to be completely concealed by wall filler at a subsequent step...

So that gives me the basic layout I'm going to be working to... Looks a bit weird at the moment, but will look like a cohesive whole by the time I'm finished  8)

Meanwhile, back in the Cimmerian village...

Once the 'icing' layer of wall filler has hardened, I've then applied the concealing top coat of gloop (sand/PVA/paint mix)

I've also started adding a few embedded features, like a set of stone steps leading up to the chieftain's hut, and flanked by a pair of standing stones. (These are just chips of slate scavenged from decorative plant pot surfacing... :))

The next step with the village will be to create some walls, outhouses and enclosures, to get that semi-fortified Iron Age settlement look... I'll probably just use foam and Green Stuff to do this...

I've also sanded out the river bed on the new section... As you can tell, I fannied about with two or three different routes for the river, but what you are after is a natural, gradual sweep, so once my plastic uplands were fixed in place I could see where the river had to run...

I bought a new cheap and cheerful multi-tool to do this - 30 quid from my local builders' merchants, and a dead useful addition to my terrain-making armoury. Took a fraction of the time it usually does to channel out a nice 3mm deep river bed...

I also acquired this lightweight resin stone circle from Copplestone/North Star, which I'm going to incorporate as a fixture - probably round about here on the new half of the terrain board - providing the mysterious and eldritch portal to the benighted Pictish Wilderness...

And finally for now, I've applied the icing layer of wall filler to blend the plastic vac-formed 'mountains' into the styrofoam baseboard. Also to build up the river banks...

There are a few things to note about this...

1. It's important to roughly stab / score the styrofoam board all over, where the wall filler is going to be applied in order to provide a decent key for the filler to grip onto.
2. The aim here is to conceal the join (including all that hardened hot glue), cover up any bodged infill, and to provide a natural looking blend between the raised areas and the baseboard.
3. Once the basic filler is applied with a palette knife, I then used a very wet, large, soft paintbrush to smooth out the filler so that it follows and blends with the line of the rock formations as far as possible... You can slap as much water onto the filler as you like - once it evaporates the whole thing dries out and it doesn't seem to affect the adhesion, nor the hardness of the final set contours.

Once again, it doesn't matter too much about the join being a little bit messy here or there, because the whole area will be further covered with a top layer of concealing gloop anyway (except for those areas which are going to be left as bare rock, which do need to be smooth).

Here endeth the second lesson :D ;)

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:32:30 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Amazing. This is just amazing.

Makes me want to build larger boards!