Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:26:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Legions on Mars  (Read 13777 times)

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
Legions on Mars
« on: October 24, 2017, 04:09:56 PM »
I’m a long time lurker with a story….

….and a plan.

Back when Spartan released the Dystopian Legions (DL) range I was quick to jump on board! I’ve always loved the VSF setting but had never gotten around to gaming in the genre. A few friends had joined me and between us we’d managed to cover the main five factions.

And then….nothing. We didn’t do anything with the stuff at all.

Some of the guys jumped off and sold their stuff on eBay but I resolutely held on to mine! In fact I got a second faction to ensure that I would have enough to field an entire game.

And then…nothing. It went cold and we all got distracted by other shiny stuff. This seems to happen a lot with wargamers ;-)

However ever since I saw the movie Laputa as a child the notion of airships and flyers has been rattling around in my noggin.  Suspect it was that which lead to me suggesting that we try putting Dystopian Legions on Mars. Something to lift it (pun intended) in our imaginations and set it apart from other games. With a cheerful consensus it was unanimously agreed that we would set DL on Mars and base our figures accordingly.

And then nothing. Well life does get in the way y’know.

But after another year of the stuff staring at me from the Shelves of Holding I have become resolved to get this up and running. So my project running over the next year is to bring DL to the Red Planet!

But it couldn’t be that simple could it.

Nah.

We need aeronef, as we are referring to them, to get our explorations under way. So how do we go about getting aeronef? Well there are some out there to buy but… nah that’s too easy! We could scratch-build them but we will need multiples of some and that is somewhat of a chore.

It is at this point that I think my brain spazzed out and lead me to the conclusion that we should definitely get some made. Yup. Designing and having made some aeronef from scratch. Clearly easier than just knocking together some home-made ones.

I do wonder how my brain is wired at times.

But it appears to be working.

I had the good fortune to approach Blotz who have made the process very easy. If you’re not familiar with their stuff please do go and check their website out. Particularly under the VSF section!

With the remaining owners of DL in our group having the five main factions between us it transpired that they’d each need a design. One each? Nah. Two for each coz y’know, in for a penny!

So the first designs were intended for the Plucky Brits and they now have a gunboat and a launch to carry them to battle. Check them out on our group blog:

http://agogonline.blogspot.co.uk/

The process has been fun and I fully intend to press ahead with it to get all five factions into the sky.

After that we can begin to get everything painted and ready for some games. As a gamer of several decades it is pretty thrilling when you start something like this and the ideas start to flow.

I’m already being to suspect that a narrative campaign might be in order because…..

…who knows what the earth forces will find on Mars?

Anyway, expect updates over the next year as this starts to come together.

In the mean time I need to work out how to post piccies here. Hmmm.

TTFN

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: Legions on Mars
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 05:13:13 PM »
They look fantastic and very tempting indeed.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
I call 'stupid', as I just couldn't find those, or a VSF section, either on the site or in the downloadable catalog.

However, I may have SLIGHTLY redeemed myself by searching for 'VSF', and the two lovelies appeared.

Having recently purchased a few Martian skiffs in MDF, I should think a Launch or two is in order, though I'd originally thought of using the 28mm as large 15mm.

Thanks so much!

Doug

Anyway, expect updates over the next year as this starts to come together.

In the mean time I need to work out how to post piccies here. Hmmm.

TTFN

As in where to store, or how to add piccies you already have posted elsewhere on the net? In the former, you can use 'gallery', sparingly, though that may require sponsoring membership. Not sure.

If the latter, when you edit a post, there are a number of icons above the emoticon faces. The second(?) one over should look like a picture in frame. Click on it, and you get the code to put your image's URL.

Or, paste the URL, highlight, and pressing the button surrounds the URL with the code.

I think it's easy peasey, and see first statement of post.

Doug

Offline VSF Gamer

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 06:22:40 PM »

Having recently purchased a few Martian skiffs in MDF, I should think a Launch or two is in order, though I'd originally thought of using the 28mm as large 15mm.

Doug

[/quote]

Holding out on me Doug? ;) A few martian skiffs...hmmmm and your working on building these, right? ???

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 11:56:25 PM »
Holding out on me Doug? ;) A few martian skiffs...hmmmm and your working on building these, right? ???

As in ALL thing beastly, breath-holding is contra-indicated. ;)

Doug

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 08:46:35 AM »
Thanks Doug!

Yes that is simple even for the likes of me!

One sky ship...

...and one launch.

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »
I got a chance to add some extra detail at the weekend.

Using my trusty rivet makers....

..I managed to do the three flyers....

...and the recently constructed Tesla Guns.

Ready for spraying and painting now.

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »
Got some painting done over the last week.

Firstly the Oxford Class Patrol Skyship.

I've left the gun deck clear so I can just add whatever armaments are required at the time of gaming.

I still need to do the basing but I've not worked out quite how I want to do that for this project. I'm also going to have a look around for any suitable decals to add the final touches.

I also got the Tesla Guns painted.

That's two of the designs all done. The first US/FSA one is also now on the Blotz site:-

http://blotz.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_29_217&products_id=1461

The deck gun that goes with it:-

http://blotz.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1462

I should be at the Warfare show at Rivermead in Reading this weekend so I'll be picking up the steamer then! Hopefully Blotz might have some more finished by then as well.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 04:54:21 PM »
Very cool.

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 02:54:51 PM »
Sooo....ship number three has been released now!

I was expecting this process to be quite a long one but three of the ten designs have already become kits and the next three designs are already with Blotz.

This one is for the FSA US style faction and I wanted it to have a strong flavour of that. The wheel is obviously lifted from the paddle steamers however, not obvious from the photo due to its absence, is the gun turret styled after the American civil war monitor ironclad. It is also the reason the railings don't continue all the way.

I'm pleased with the deck space although a fair bit will be lost to the turret when that is added.

I'm planning to paint this a sort of military green. I realise that is eariler than the US introduced OD green but I want them to have colour and be fairly striking.

I'm also tempted by white star decals. Thoughts on those?

Big pictures on the blog:

http://agogonline.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/another-nef.html

TTFN

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 09:12:36 AM »
I finally got round to adding the turret to my Monitor. I think I'll add a few rivets around the top and base plate.

Also done is the paddle tug boat. I'm quite pleased how this one has turned out. Dinky!

Bigger pictures on the link below

http://agogonline.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/playing-with-my-wood.html

And a plug for Blotz who are helping me get this project done.

http://blotz.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23_29_217

Hopefully the Oriental ships will be appearing soon but with the silly season upon us it might be the New Year now.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:14:45 AM by Tesla knight »

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 05:29:50 AM »
These are great! Going to order a couple. How tall are the acrylic stands?
Scrum in Miniature (my gaming blog): http://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com
Scrum Con (my miniatures+RPG convention in Wash, DC): https://sites.google.com/view/scrum-con/home
Above the Fray Miniatures (my minis company): https://sites.google.com/view/abovethefrayminiatures/home

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 06:43:44 AM »
Great work on your kits TK!

Looking forward to seeing them crewed up...
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 06:46:09 AM »
Great work on your kits TK!

Looking forward to seeing them crewed up...

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 11:10:58 AM »
How tall are the acrylic stands?

They're about 5 inches tall.

Now Xmas is out of the way I need to get cracking on these again!

Thanks for the comments!