Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:15:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686652
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1888 - The Vicky Horror Figure Show (update 8/10: Willy Wonka)  (Read 19493 times)

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: 1888 - The Vicky Horror Figure Show - Larger Than Life (update 27/10)
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 07:46:56 AM »
Wilhelmina "Mina" Harker was the wife of Jonathan Harker. After the death of her friend Lucy Westenra, she joined the coalition around Abraham Van Helsing, bent on destroying Count Dracula, the vampire. Unfortunately, the Count learned of this plot against him and took revenge by visiting — and biting — Mina at least three times and feeding her his blood, dooming her to become a vampire should she die. Eventually, Mina was turned and became a vampire, but unlike many, she managed to hold on to part of her humanity and in her new found form, she is a valuable asset to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

My version of Mina is based on the LXG movie interpretation (rather than the graphic novel, where she never became a vampire). The figure is a Lemax christmas figure, representing a young lady carrying an umbrella. I sculpted on a scarf and painted her in pale skintones and black and red clothing. I gave her red pupils to suggest the bloodlust in her eyes and to mark her more clearly one of the undead. The umbrella adds to the suggestion of a vampire shying away from the sun, I think. All in all, a pretty easy, but effective conversion of a cheap figure. I'm quite happy with the way she turned out, though she looks much better in person than in the pictures.

I know it's not raining, I just don't want the sun to ruin this lovely complexion.

Gaze at my cold, dark beauty and tremble...

A comparison with the original figure. I quickly realised she'd make a fine vampire lady, which, after a while, mutated in the idea of using her for vampire Mina. These christmas figures don't always show it, due to seemingly being painted by a drunk person, but many are quite lovely sculpts if you look more closely.

The difference a decent makeover can make.

The members of the League so far:

Not exactly the glorious heroes you'd expect...

Madam, you have the most remarkable eyes.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 07:58:45 AM »
Brilliant interpretation of Mina. :-*

Please say you haven't gone all Sean Connery for Quatermain? ;) lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 08:18:30 AM »
No, I don’t think so. ;D

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 10:05:31 AM »
Another wonderful project from the Master of the Left Field.
 8) 8)

I love the figure choices so far, especially the big lad, although special plaudits must go to Miss Harker for looking so perfectly in place after a change of clothes.
 :-* :-*

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 02:35:27 PM »

Very, VERY nice, CONGRATULATIONS!  :-*

That Malamute Sherlock Holmes figure and the Mina Harker one are PRICELESS!!!  ;)

Looking forward to see how it develops!  :D
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 12:12:50 AM »
Three projects in this scale !   I took a quick look at the King and Country Dickens collection, and saw there are quite a few figures  - a lot of material for your fertile mind.  Didn't see a good Colonel Sebastian Moran (with his air rifle) !   Dick Swiveller bore a more than passing resemblance to the Johnny Walker label !

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
Count Vlad Dracula moved from Transylvania to England so that he may find new blood and spread the undead curse. He boarded a Russian ship, the Demeter, taking along with him boxes of Transylvanian soil, which he required in order to regain his strength. In England, Dracula successfully purchased multiple estates under the alias 'Count De Ville' throughout London and devised to distribute the 50 boxes to each of them to secure for himself "lairs". Despite attempts to stop him by Abraham Van Helsing, Jonathan Harker, Dr. John Seward, Quincey Morris, and Arthur Holmwood, Dracula first takes Lucy Westenra, who is subsequently killed, and Mina Harker, the latter being turned, but managing to escape his control and remaining mistress of her own destiny.

The count is an extensive conversion of a cheap Lemax Christmas figure. I added the shades, hair and beard, made a new cane and bulked out the legs and arms so he wouldn't look too weedy.

What did you expect, a black evening suit with a cape?

It wasn't easy to get the "eyes peeking over the top of the shades" look, but I think it worked. I would have prefered to do red shades, but decided to stay true to the source material which had them dark blue.

Is that what they call "bedroom eyes"?

My interpretation of Dracula is of course based on Gary Oldman's version of the Count:

I'm a handsome foreigner in a stylish suit, why won't they love me?

"You belong with me, Mina" - "I would rather die! ...Again."

The base figure was one half of another Lemax model called "Attending services"

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2017, 08:55:42 AM »
Three projects in this scale !   I took a quick look at the King and Country Dickens collection, and saw there are quite a few figures  - a lot of material for your fertile mind.  Didn't see a good Colonel Sebastian Moran (with his air rifle) !   Dick Swiveller bore a more than passing resemblance to the Johnny Walker label !

Yes, three projects. This one came about after many hours browsing the backcatalog of Lemax figures they put out throughout the years, in search of useful bits to convert for my Musketeers and Robin Hood projects. At one point I thought, I could easily fill a complete Victorian town with those...  lol

Colonel Moran will likely have to be a conversion, though I haven't figured out what to base him on yet. He's a must have though, especially since I already have my eye on a figure to stand in for Moriarty.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
Another one to close the evening, a character of my own devising this one.

With the many evils stalking the streets of London, Her Majesty, Queen Victoria, in her great wisdom, decided to recall some of the greatest military heroes of the Empire from the various wars they were fighting to form a mixed unit, that were quickly called "Her Majesty's Finest". To lead these brave men, Colonel William Lovelace, of the Madras Lancers, also called "The Iron Colonel" returned from his mission in India.

Colonel Lovelace is a stock King and Country figure, with only the base repainted to match my other figures. The model is a retired club figure. Another static pose, but he does exhude that British "stiff upper lip" officer air. Besides, the members of his team will count plenty of action poses.

God Save the Queen!

British stiff upper lip in action...

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
Jack the Ripper is the callname for a so far unidentified serial killer active in the largely impoverished areas in and around the Whitechapel district of London in 1888. His identity remains a mystery and the name "Jack the Ripper" originated in a letter written by someone claiming to be the murderer that was disseminated in the media. This may have been a forgery. Other names given to this ruthless killer by the press are "the Whitechapel Murderer" and "Leather Apron". Attacks ascribed to Jack the Ripper typically involve women, and more precisely female prostitutes who live and work in the slums of the East End of London. The nature of the cuts and the removal of internal organs from at least three of the victims led to proposals that their killer had some anatomical or surgical knowledge and may in fact be a man of the medical profession. Some rumours suggest the Royal Court may be implicated but understandably, those aren't taken seriously and don't make it into the papers.

Ol' Jack may be in for more than he bargained this time...

The figure for Jack the Ripper is made by King and Country, in the "World of Dickens" range and has all the characteristics we've come to associate with the killer: the top hat, the coat, the knife and doctor's case. A splendid figure that is clearly sculpted in a pose intended to lurk behind the corner of a wall, waiting for his next victim to walk right into his arms. As with the other K&C figures, I didn't have to do any painting except for repainting the base to fit in with my other models.

From Hell, with love...

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya

PERFECT!!!  :-*

And it seems that he has chosen the wrong victim this time...  lol

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Love the new additions.
I look forward to seeing the rest of 'Her Majesty's Finest'.
 :-* :-*

And it seems that he has chosen the wrong victim this time...  lol

That will learn him!
 lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Great figure. He certainly is in for a shock this time. lol