Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:35:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: On-line, or Books with Info on RAF Raid Losses?  (Read 426 times)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
On-line, or Books with Info on RAF Raid Losses?
« on: October 27, 2017, 08:17:25 PM »
I've been reading up on some of the RAF raids during WWII, in books, and on-line, but find some of the info lacking.  Most seem to just repeat the same info, e.g. total number of sorties, in some cases info on aborts and/or those actually attacking their targets, and then the number of aircraft lost.  Interestingly, rarely are the numbers of aircraft damaged on the raids included in the stats.  They do sometimes try to estimate the totals lost to nightfighters, and flak, but rarely provide info on those damaged on the sorties.

So, I'm wondering if there are any good, raid-level, or nightly tally sources for that info, preferably on-line, but I'll also consider books on the subject as well?

I've even checked some of the RAF history sites, and they don't provide it.

I'm especially interested in the first raid on Essen, on March 5/6, 1943, which kicked off the battle of the Ruhr.
If I recall correctly, 14 out of 442 that were dispatched were lost, and apparently, about 400 or so attacked the target (a considerable number aborted the raid for various reasons, as on many raids during the war).

Of course, numbers of aircraft by type damaged/lost, and losses attributable to nightfighters, and/or flak would be helpful too.

In most of the accounts for the 8th Air Force in WWII, losses and damaged aircraft are both tallied for each raid.

Any ideas where to find this info?