Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:01:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Gripping Beast Romans in 5 Madaxeman Battle Reports  (Read 2013 times)

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
28mm Gripping Beast Romans in 5 Madaxeman Battle Reports
« on: October 29, 2017, 04:46:10 PM »
Having been painting, making and generally faffing around and not quite finishing my 28mm Patrician Roman army for the last 18 months, the annual Derby competition suddenly hove into view and offered up not one, but two opportunities to put the figures on the table.

The end result are 5 well-packed and imposing L'Art de le Guerre battle reports featuring sumptuous imagery of troops that are actually big enough to be able to see with the naked, unaided human eye!

Across the weekend the army from the tail end of the Roman Empire fought its predecessors, its contemporaries, its allies and it's mortal enemies - and even, on one notable occasion, itself - on a series of 6x4 tabletops in an aircraft hangar in the East Midlands.

See for yourself why the fall of the Roman Empire may actually have been FAKE NEWS, and why the 28mm game might well prove to be the absolute real sweet spot for Ancient wargaming with the L'Art de la Guerre ruleset.

Yes, these reports are possibly your gateway drug to mainlining the seemingly almost daily releases of plastic multipose 28mm ancients figures now on the market. Read on with care...

Web: Madaxeman.com
On Twitter: twitter.com
On Facebook:  facebook.com
Devon holiday?: The Captains Cottage Brixham

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: 28mm Gripping Beast Romans in 5 Madaxeman Battle Reports
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 06:37:21 PM »
Enjoyable reads madaxeman. The models look great; I don't think I have seen too many LADG reports with 28mm models. I was a bit distracted by the bright green table cloth for a battlefield though; L'Art de la Garish! :D

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 07:10:19 PM »
Nice looking army  :)

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 07:43:10 PM »
Enjoyable reads madaxeman. The models look great; I don't think I have seen too many LADG reports with 28mm models. I was a bit distracted by the bright green table cloth for a battlefield though; L'Art de la Garish! :D

Yeah, it did come out a bit bright in the photos - I tried to tweak the colour balance to tone it down, but maybe that's how it was!  Anyway, quite unusual to be able to actually see the figures on table at a competition  o_o !

I have a suspicion that the 28mm game may prove to be the real sweet spot for LADG. You get "enough" figures on table to convince yourself its a battle, but not so many that you still have room to move them around and stuff - its certainly not a wall-to-wall lurch forward and smash into each other game at all. The number of figures is also achievable and paint-able for normal human beings, especially with plastics these days.  I suspect you could cook up most Arab-type armies with 4-5 boxes of GB foot and mounted, and probably the same with most Mid/Early Romans now that Victrix have done their plastic Legionary Cavalry - and Generic Medieval Army #1 is going to be similar for Perry & Fireforge . 

The Footsore Goths I had were nice but actually a tad uninspiring with their poses I thought - When someone produces some Gothic-looking cavalry in plastic, bob's your uncle...     

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 08:15:10 AM »
28mm on 60x60 is the pooches nads!

Just waiting for GB to bring out their plastics...

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 10:12:24 AM »

Just waiting for GB to bring out their plastics...

Agreed - squishing the Heavy Foot onto 60x40 is also pretty cute though

Which plastics from the beast are you thinking of?

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 01:27:14 PM »
GB said they were going to do Late Roman or Gothic cavalry.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 02:03:02 PM »
Yes, I like the look too.