Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:57:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jovian Ambassador to Her Majesty's Court  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Jovian Ambassador to Her Majesty's Court
« on: October 30, 2017, 06:08:05 PM »
Latest bit of repurposing, a Jovian visitor to London, circa 1890.

The pressurized environment suit isn't stylish, but the poor fellow (?) can't very well be expected to breathe the tenuous wisps Earthlings call air now, can he?

Quite the strapping lad too, that's a 45mm base he's hulking on.  Doesn't get invited to tea ever since the Chair Incident, but the stuff's toxic to Jovians anyway so that's a blessing in disguise.

The Jovians are rumored to be discussing an alliance with the British Crown in exchange for sea floor mining rights in the North Sea, something which has the Nemo cultists up in arms.

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
Re: Jovian Ambassador to Her Majesty's Court
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 11:50:20 AM »
Lovely figure and a lovely paint job.

simple but effective!

Who is the figure by?

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 02:38:08 PM »
Very nice and love the back story. We definitely need to know about this:

Doesn't get invited to tea ever since the Chair Incident

Don't know about anyone else but I'm all agog for more details about that lol

Doug

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 04:46:31 PM »

Tesla Knight - the mini is one from the Harvesters Enemy Pack for Shadows Of Brimstone.

http://flyingfrogproductions.mybigcommerce.com/enemy-packs/

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 09:37:57 PM »
Tesla Knight - the mini is one from the Harvesters Enemy Pack for Shadows Of Brimstone.

http://flyingfrogproductions.mybigcommerce.com/enemy-packs/

That.  Although I based on a 45mm instead of the 40mm it comes with.  They're not as poseable as I'd hoped for, but you can reposition the arms and waist a bit.  Still not a bad deal at $20 for three, and they do make a good basis for conversions and cross-gaming use.

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 09:24:44 AM »

Thanks

I'll admit I'd not seen any of that range before. Some interesting figures there.

Ta

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 09:38:11 PM »

I'll admit I'd not seen any of that range before. Some interesting figures there.

Ta

There are, but I'll caution you about a few things:

The details on the sculpts that I've seen are rather shallow, the plastic (while "hard" styrene) is very low density and easily broken, and there's very little modularity or posing options on any of the models I've seen.  The Harvesters are one of the most versatile sets I;ve seen, and even with them it's just a matter of repositioning the lower arms.

The figures are invariably packed with a bunch of cards and other components for playing SoB, and they aren't padded at all.  This has resulted in fully half of the boxes I've opened having broken or badly twisted figs in them, which is entirely due to the cardboard crap slamming around loose in the box and wrecking the sprues.

Flying Frog does not respond at all to emails regarding damaged or broken figs out of the package, so it's fix them yourself or call the money wasted.

In short, I would think long and hard before buying any SoB figure set that has any kind of slender piece in the sculpt.  Gun barrels, tentacles, even the legs on the Custodians, they're likely to have damage.  The Harvesters in this thread are some of the chunkier models in the range and even with them several parts had been twisted partially loose from the sprue before opening, which required sanding to clean up the former attachment points to an acceptable level.

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 09:24:25 AM »
There are, but I'll caution you about a few things:

The details on the sculpts that I've seen are rather shallow, the plastic (while "hard" styrene) is very low density and easily broken, and there's very little modularity or posing options on any of the models I've seen.  The Harvesters are one of the most versatile sets I;ve seen, and even with them it's just a matter of repositioning the lower arms.

The figures are invariably packed with a bunch of cards and other components for playing SoB, and they aren't padded at all.  This has resulted in fully half of the boxes I've opened having broken or badly twisted figs in them, which is entirely due to the cardboard crap slamming around loose in the box and wrecking the sprues.

Flying Frog does not respond at all to emails regarding damaged or broken figs out of the package, so it's fix them yourself or call the money wasted.

In short, I would think long and hard before buying any SoB figure set that has any kind of slender piece in the sculpt.  Gun barrels, tentacles, even the legs on the Custodians, they're likely to have damage.  The Harvesters in this thread are some of the chunkier models in the range and even with them several parts had been twisted partially loose from the sprue before opening, which required sanding to clean up the former attachment points to an acceptable level.

Ah. That might be why people aren't spreading the word about them.

Thanks for the warning. Never good when the Retail Therapy turns into disappointment due to shonky goods.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 07:34:59 PM »
Don't know if I'd call myself disappointed so much as annoyed.  The Shadows range has lots of great concepts scattered throughout, the prices are generally decent, and the execution is a little better than I'd expect from what are ultimately boardgame pawns rather than wargame minis.  If they were just packed properly or even if I thought the company gave a fig about the problem I'd have no real complaint.  They aren't and they don't though, and that gets under my skin.

Second one done, showing off what I'd call the maximum outward reach you can achieve with the arms before you have to do some real resculpting.

This one is clearly a Jovian explorer from back around the First Contact in 1887.

The pose is clearly intended to be as non-threatening as possible, with open hands in plain sight and lowered arms.

It's unfortunate that some weedy Earthlings might misinterpret this as a menacing advance, arms wide to seize and crush a terrified human.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 05:05:26 PM »
And one last take on these guys, in what's probably intended to be the default pose.

Scale shot with an old Vor NeoSov Rad-Trooper.

"Still better than fighting Growlers, comrades."