Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:27:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689794
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A War in The East  (Read 74612 times)

Offline rabenga

• Librarian
  • I will paint that eventually...
Re: A War in The East
« Reply #240 on: July 07, 2018, 04:20:16 PM »
Oooo, that is silly!  I love it.
Remember the patina!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #241 on: July 08, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »
So far we've been trying Spectre: Operations. Its been a bit of a slog however, as the ruleset's focus on realism finds you being overly tactical due to any model who's out in the open being pretty much dead if anyone shoots at them. I've no idea how they scale for larger games, as with a handful of models we've been spending 3 hours to complete a game (maybe those playing platoon scale games just don't care about losing models so much or something). And that's all without bringing in vehicles.
There's other rules out there, which I may look into eventually.

If you want something quick and easy to learn, and flows quickly, you could try Wars of Insurgency. Players typically control 3-5 squads of anywhere from 3-12 figs, if that fits with what you were planning. Here's the link for the rules:
http://www.firstcommandwargames.com/wars-of-insurgency.html

The blog looks good, by the way...!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2018, 11:23:40 PM »
@ mikedemana

Thanks, but tsk, as I look for new rules I've found out that another gamer here now wants to pick up the Spectre rule set and give it a try, so I shant be jumping ship so quickly it seems. Personally I'd be willing to use the Ogre ruleset if that's any way of judging just what type of rules I prefer... ;)

I thought that this may be the right place to mention it, but I've posted up some more stuff on my miniatures blog not directly related to this thread. Ah, other than the Space Marines, I made one post in particular covering Modern wargaming miniatures releases by the company Kings Hobbies and Games which some may find useful (though as its covering "ultra-modern" stuff, may not be for everyone).

You can find it over here, any comments on how this sort of content could be improved would be appreciated! :)

https://thesticks.net/2018/07/09/wargaming-news-special-artizan-service-miniature-june-july-releases/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #243 on: July 10, 2018, 10:33:16 AM »
Interesting article, thanks.

As has been mentioned in a nearby thread, the Conflicts that came in from the cold sub forum covers too much, your article highlights what is available but does not fit happily fit within the confines (and rules) of the existing sub forum.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #244 on: July 10, 2018, 12:45:29 PM »
As far as I'm aware, and having spoken to the mods about this, we can post modern miniatures here. Whilst the board covers discussion of conflicts up until the year 2000, we can post models representing things after that point, as long as the discussion is kept to the models themselves (thus why I've been attempting to keep any talk in this thread to the models themselves, and maintain a less than factual representation of current conflicts).

The issue with posting a thread reporting on new contemporary miniatures though is that whilst I'd moderate my own discussion of the models so as to cover the board's guidelines, I couldn't do the same for other users, and feel that that'd do any commentary a disservice. Its relevant for people to know what the models that are on show are, beyond just describing them physically when it comes to displaying new ranges (as well, if you just think they're cool that's maybe not a reason enough to buy them), which maybe isn't so true of a thread showing off miniatures from some generic post-Soviet republic (in fact, it helps to not discuss the history when the nation the models are supposedly fighting in is fictional).

...Ah, but maybe I'm over thinking this. A lot of what that company's releasing right now isn't things which I'd be using for this particular setting, so I thought I'd keep posts about them to that blog site rather than muddy this thread up too much. This isn't an official thread for advertising the company, so it'd be better to create a new (...) news thread instead, which again would run into the issue of moderating our chat. :)

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #245 on: July 10, 2018, 07:39:30 PM »
You make a lot of good points. I certainly agree with you .

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #246 on: July 11, 2018, 03:47:37 PM »
You do truly superb work. I Blog and follow many who do and your work is easily among the best in the hobby. It's not a genre I'd be comfortable replicating myself - I cannot explain or justify my feeling on the whole recency issue I have with wargaming but I am admiring your dedication and application to the subject immensely. Thank you very much for keeping us updated as it progresses.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #247 on: July 13, 2018, 08:42:35 PM »
My recent order from SASM arrived today after making a brief stop to experience the privileged of customs (no fees at least!). Here's a link to an article covering my first impressions of SASM's new GMV Flyer kit which you guys may be interested in.

https://thesticks.net/2018/07/13/miniature-review-special-artizan-service-miniatures-gmv-flyer/

TLDR:

Nah, its pretty good. :)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:08:11 PM by Wyrmalla »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #248 on: July 14, 2018, 09:06:12 AM »
Interesting read (I also got distracted by your TWD report - sounded like fun).

Looking forward to seeing your GMV painted.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #249 on: July 16, 2018, 04:49:37 PM »
For the moment I haven't managed to finish much more stuff in the past few days since I started on the GMV Flyer. Holidays and accidentally installing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. again have eaten into my time.

However, the GMV Flyer is being painted currently, and I've started on a new terrain piece. A Soviet War Memorial, one of those big plinths with a T-34 sitting on top of it (I've been saying I'd make one of those for years now). Its still a work in progress, and so far there's been a bit of compromise as I work with the bits I have (the craft shop's shut on a Sunday, so I used a smaller base than I'd have liked ...instead of just waiting a day). That'll hopefully be posted here in the next few days if the ground doesn't open up and swallow me, as its like to do (the Grue says Hi by the way).

So, whilst I'm busy not actually building anything, here's a post covering what Spectre's posted about over the week (which spoiler, there's a lot of umming and ahhing at whether or not its Russians or not).

https://thesticks.net/2018/07/16/wargaming-news-spectre-miniatures-new-releases-teases/

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #250 on: July 16, 2018, 07:05:20 PM »
Interesting reading.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #251 on: July 20, 2018, 06:03:15 AM »
Here's another news blurt coveirng what's been happening at Special Artizan Service Miniatures.

https://thesticks.net/2018/07/20/wargaming-news-special-artizan-service-miniatures-july-so-far/

I remain however doing my best to have more stuff actually painted. Finally I've managed to be finished on the building stage of that war memorial that I think I mentioned, and now its due a paint. I'll try and remember to stick up a picture of it at some point today. :)

Meanwhile I did manage to have that GMV Flyer which I talked about earlier painted.

Ah, also, more of which was posted over on that blog. As to be honest it doesn't strictly fit in with what I've been doing with my Eastern Europeans (frankly it may be more up my friend's alley with his modern SAS).

https://thesticks.net/2018/07/18/now-painted-gmv-flyer-60/

The SEALs and GROM which came in the same package as the Flyer however are intended to be done up as Spetsnaz to replace that order from Mike Bravo Miniatures which never showed up. Ideally they'll have some work done on them over the coming week.

Right now the priorities are to have that War Memorial painted and to do my best to finish at least the back portion of the restaurant which I've been working on for a while now. Though I'm in the position of knowing I have parts for it somewhere, but after hours of searching not finding them (air ducts specifically), so I'm pondering cannibalising an older building for those... Meanwhile Spectre Miniatures released some aircon units which are just the type I was looking for to do for the back wall of the restaurant's kitchen. Which I'll need to order at some point before they go out of stock, but its not like this thing's going to be ready to paint any time soon anyway. :)

Ah well, hopefully I'll have another post up today and maybe a bit over the weekend once I can finish putting those other technicals which I'd posted earlier this month. Yes, all the video games on my computer have once again been uninstalled so I can actually have the time to work on any of this crap. ;)

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #252 on: July 20, 2018, 01:27:44 PM »
Nice job on the GMV.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #253 on: July 20, 2018, 06:57:00 PM »
As promised, here's a picture of the old Soviet era War Memorial which I've been building.

Finally that T-34/76 sees some use other than for spare parts...

Its pieces like this which make a table look a like a bit more work's gone into them. Its not the neatest piece, but the effect it'll have on the visuals of a table are worth it.

Now expect me to take a month to paint it...

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2018, 10:09:39 PM »
Nice work.
Now expect me to take a month to paint it...
Infinitely faster than me ^__^