Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:44:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690647
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A War in The East  (Read 74726 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A War in The East
« Reply #330 on: October 05, 2018, 10:46:11 AM »
If you're concerned over some of the particular details on the BTR-80 you could always just slap a load of sandbags on the side.

(And I've seen ones in use with more sandbags covering them than that).

Additionally, and relevant to the Chechen Wars Kickstarter, I discovered that during the wars in that area this was a field modification seen. Kontakt-1 ERA, and rubber mats to protect from RPGs.

With there later being an official armour kit issued specifically to the region.

I'm at the stage of considering making little ERA bricks myself then casting them up. Though the process of doing a whole vehicle that way sounds horrific time wise. It'd be nice if one of the companies out there would make some generic Soviet ERA bricks. They'd go a long way to modernising those HLBS vehicles (and/ or random trucks and lorries that someone had the smart idea to stick explosive bricks on, without considering how thing the metal is...).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:52:58 AM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #331 on: October 06, 2018, 05:32:32 PM »
Interesting with the sandbags.

I would hate to think what happened when that ERA went off.

Generic ERA blocks and bar armour would be useful.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 05:34:29 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #332 on: October 28, 2018, 08:07:11 PM »
Here's what's came along in the interim since my last post. Mostly new stuff, rather than finishing off any of my existing projects...

I've been delaying posting this till I had that restaurant finished, but I'm short some furniture for that, so it'll be a while yet before that's posted (meanwhile I've already started on another building. No, not those apartments that I've been wanting). 

FSB

From earlier in the month, I'd picked up a set of Spectre Miniatures New Russian Spetsnaz. I wasn't into their heads, so at the same time I went to Empress and bought their Spetsnaz and a set of ballistic masks.

With a black paint job (which I'm not convinced I did right), and suitable rides, they've came out as Russian Internal Security Forces – who'll work as opposition to all those Separatists I have and be an excuse for playing games in Chechnya for instance.

These guys are set to ride in a trio of Zil Punishers (MRAPs based on a civilian truck chassis), which I'd bought from SASM yonks ago, but not having the men to ride them hadn't painted.

With the Punishers they're the bog standard menacing black paint job, and lack the "pop out" turrets (as I wasn't in the mood to find a dremel). Giving one its turret would be easy to do, but they look fair as is. I'd considered adding some men to the roof too. I'm not convinced as I once was on making an ARMA III style Punisher with a military camo scheme and 40mm turret, just as I now have that BTR-82A in the works which would fulfil a similar role, along with there maybe not being a suitable use case for one to be necessary in the first place. ...Though one would look cool.

Spectre do a set of figures with 12.7mm rifles and pistols as well. I'm not that into their more civilian style outfits (they fit into their low key operator set), though have been pondering sculpting over them to give them more military style gear.

Regardless, I have another set of Spetsnaz to paint. That lot are made from SASM's older figures. I'd painted some of those before (again with Empress head swaps). Going back to the remaining models I'm neither into how their heads look or their guns, and wound up swapping them out for the leftover bits I had from these Spectre figures and some spare Wargames Factory guns (though these are larger than the originals, so don't match up spectacularly with the grips or magazines).

Terrain

With terrain I've managed mostly scatter pieces outside of that one building which isn't finished yet. This set of building site scatter are from Antenocitis' Workshop, with the skips by Skytrex Model Railways.

Scatter

...I'll eventually paint that set of portacabins and foundations I have to have a building site to fight over. Though then I'd need a multi-floor concrete building as well, and all sorts of other bits, and well, that's just not being prioritised over other projects. :P

Also I found some recycling bins for sale on Facebook (via Shaun Mclaughlin on the Modern Miniature Warfare page). Painted as is, with some casting bubbles, but looking fair enough as terrain.

Work in Progress

With the new unpainted projects, here's that BTR-60 which I mentioned being a bit delayed with as I waited on after-market parts.

Some of the etched brass pieces were far too titchy for me to worry about with a model made for wargaming, but overall the set increases the quality of the model to a, well, acceptable level. Some of the details the base kit misses out makes it fairly poor for any purpose and that after-market set entirely necessary. With the resin wheel set, these come out as fairly pricey however, so unless its justified, HLBS' BTR-70 will likely suit most folks for their modern games.

Still, that's the first of the two which I ordered built. I'm not sure what to do with the second, but can picture one with slat armour and some extra stowage boxes or something. I have an extra set of resin wheels too, and with an actual model to base the dimensions off of I may have a go at something similar to the BTR-4 which I'd made for one of the modernised BTR-60 projects if I have the time.

Elsewhere I've started sculpting figures for an artillery crew. So far its just the officer in charge of the piece, but I've planned out the rest of the squad.

A scratch built AK made from carving out a piece of plasticard may replace his Wargames Factory one, as its one of their early prints and a bit thick for my liking (someone had said something similar when I used the same gun on another sculpt). My own one's better proportioned, but I need to work out how to cast up copies so as not to waste all the effort put into that one rifle.

Similarly I'm now out of 28mm scale male armatures (and I buy those in from Green Stuff World, rather than making them myself, but well, the time spent soldering wire and sculpting on muscles could be spent sculpting the actual models...). The remaining six are due for another project, other than the artillery, but we'll see how that one turns out. ...Ah, and I also ran out of green stuff, though that at least means I can order in some ProCreate (I used it once years ago and thought it was a better medium, so now's the chance to use it again ...in no part down to me just forgetting it existed as an alternative).

As for that other building which I'd mentioned starting earlier, its coming along here and there. I'm going for a warehouse, with some gantries and a portacabin office in the inside, and adjacent workshop (?) area whose roof is accessible from the inside.

Lots of filling to do around the windows, but hopefully this will be quicker to do than the restaurant, till I find an excuse for it not to be... I'm not 100% on what to include as far as scatter in the inside. Whether to leave it open so it can be used for multiple purposes, or stick a truck in there and stacks of goods so it already has some cover.

Future Projects

On an speculative note. Whilst trawling through the internet for future projects I somehow found myself looking at Ark Model's T-14 Armata. When it was initially reported there was a sales tag of a few hundred pounds I believe for the kit. Now its more like £60.

Empress are also making a rather nice Armata, so is SASM, but their kit doesn't look like it has as many pieces. See I was pondering taking either kit, stripping off the parts that aren't needed, and using one as a base for a T-15 (the IFV variant of the Armata) now that Radio Dish Dash are planning a Bumerang-BM. Then the left over parts could be used to make a T-90MS (Russia's latest version of the T-90, using Armata technology).

Just ideas, I still have three BTR-80 variants to make, and a load of other stuff to finish before doing a "Russia 2025" project (with exoskeletons of course).

Additionally, as I discuss future projects, I currently have an Empress Miniatures BMP-1 (the one I showed off as a WIP months ago) being painted. Since then Spectre Miniatures having shown off their own BMP-1. Overall the detail seems a lot better than that existing kit, but that's to be expected. The turret looks a bit off, and I may have to compare the two once I order one, but that's not a major concern. Rather I've been considering that if I do buy one, to use the kit as a basis for some variants. We'll see, or I may inevitably end up with a few spare vehicles gathering dust for a while (the BTR-80s are awaiting a part I've managed to lose being replaced by Empress).

Finally, and this will be something folks have no doubt seen elsewhere by this point, three modern miniatures Kickstarters launched this month.

Right now Tiny Terrain Models Chechen Wars Kickstarter is in its last days and just short of its final Stretch Goal. I'm invested in that one given that the sculptor's now working for SASM, and with their first Kickstarter I now have a deal of his figures in my collection. Of course I have no immediate plans for any of those models, but well, we all have tonnes of miniatures just sitting their awaiting a project which'll find a use for them. :)

Tiny Terrain Models have also mentioned the intent to make a T-62 and potentially other vehicles (are we seeing someone filling in for the old Red Star Chechen Wars line...). Which ideally I'd like a T-64 for my own purposes, a T-55 style chassis in 1/50th which isn't Tank Mania (ouch at the pricing) can't be sniffed at. There's already a resin kit out there for the same vehicle in 1/48th, so we'll see how it matches up.

Radio Dish Dash have also had their own Kickstarter as a sequel to their Skirmish Sangin rules, this time a more generic "Ultra Modern" setting. I've been looking for some rules which would accommodate platoon level games with vehicles for a while, but so far have found that its difficult to play Spectre: Operations at this scale down to all the planning involved. Tiny Terrain Models also have announced they'll be developing their own Chechen Wars rule set "Mother Russia", so we'll see which wins out. I have faith that regardless, this one will be well researched.

...Though what had actually grasped by attention was the miniatures coming along with the rules. I've already asked if I could swap out the American figures in the "All In" pledge for more Russians with AK-12s. Really I just wanted that Bumerang-BM turret, as I'd mentioned earlier it has potential for a few modern projects. That's the final stretch goal however, but hopefully if that isn't reached it goes onto the market for a fair price in future (I just want me some drone tanks is all...).

The last Kickstarter which I'm backing this month is the new Militia Miniatures range. I hadn't backed the first one, nor was their much for me in the second one due to the proliferation of Western equipment which don't fit well into my Eastern European settings. Well this time around I am looking at two of their sets, the African Militia and Republican guard, with hopes for more models with Aks once the stretch goals unlock.

Its the Africans in particular who caught my eye. Whilst a potential future Horn of Africa collection may be going a bit too far, I have considered swapping out the heads and sculpting on cargo pants over their torn up shorts to make a set of shirtless with flak jacket wearing soldiers which seem short on the ground right now. Its maybe an odd thing to want, but some bare armed men would help add a bit less uniformity to my existing militia units.

Closing

I have other side projects about, but that's the lot for what's been substantive. My work schedule currently is a bit awful for finding the time for any of these hobby projects, so I'm falling a bit behind on what I'd like to be doing. More sculpts may be the main thing I have the time to produce currently as that's something I can do outside of the house, so we'll see how those progress (and I have six figures which I started over the weekend ongoing, though the progress on those may be down to how quickly I can work out how to cast up that AK I made).

Still, this is more stuff which I've now managed to clear out of those perpetual areas of may desks now. ...Or least I will once I can find the space to put them in my terrain and model collections (ah, I'll need to order up some more figure cases, my loose model area is now a bit full. And hell I now have vehicles stacked on top of vehicles till I can find the right sized cardboard boxes to hold all these annoyingly large 1/48th scale vehicles. Tsk, my 1/56th scale stuff happily just fit inside the boxes I ordered them in without any breakages...).

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #333 on: October 29, 2018, 09:56:07 AM »
Wow, you have been busy.
Nice work by the way, and that Spectre BMP looks good.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #334 on: October 29, 2018, 11:51:03 AM »
Productivity is subjective, I wish that I'd finished more. :(

The restaurant which is still being worked on is the grey building in that first shot. The last of the furniture is pending, and I need to tell myself that its good enough for wargaming instead of spending much more time on it.

After that its that warehouse, and then hopefully the apartments. Its perhaps better to have more terrain instead of just one piece which may not be consistently used. Those apartments are just asking to be a nightmare if its taken me this long for just one building...

With this restaurant however, I have concluded that I'll be making each level of the apartments removable rather than just the floors. The interior of the restaurant is a bit tight and makes removing the interior a pain (I painted the interior walls red as that's the colour of the underlying foam, so if anything is chipped it won't be as noticeable).

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #335 on: October 30, 2018, 10:14:48 AM »
Blimey! :o

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #336 on: November 03, 2018, 02:01:13 PM »
The most recent order which I placed with Spectre Miniatures arrived, and from an inspection of their new BMP-1 I'm going to have to post something about it. So it'll be delayed somewhat as I order another of HLBS' BMP-1 so as to do a proper direct comparison I think.

Unfortunately I have a dilemma. The BMP-1 and BMP-2s which I already have are all 1/48th scale. Spectre's is 1/50th, but leaps and bounds ahead of HLBS'. So despite Spectre's being better, I'm already committed to HLBS.

I'll likely turn Spectre's vehicle then into one of those modernised variants with the 30mm BPPU turrets (and possibly ERA) then, so as to define it a bit from the others and not make it look as out of place (I had considered turning it into one of the raised roof variants, but that would be cruel in the amount of detail which would need removed). Though yes, to give away my conclusions on their new kit, if you're looking for a BMP-1 then Spectre's model is the way to go.

Anyhow, a painted BMP-1 and BTR-60 are on the way over this weekend. :)

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #337 on: November 03, 2018, 02:17:53 PM »
I look forward to seeing them.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #338 on: November 03, 2018, 02:34:59 PM »
Yeah, scratch that. Direct comparisons between manufacturers would likely result in the usual beefs that are riled up over on Facebook, so something more impartial would be more practical.

But yes, I'll be turning this one into a Russian modernised variant to save on any discrepancies between the two kits being too noticeable. Though that does mean I'm short on a BPPU turret for a BTR-80A, so I may have to go begging to Empress for another...

Edit:

And I'll also direct your attention to my latest blog post. This being more news and releases from SASM. I'll hopefully have another up over the weekend covering either Spectre's BMP-1, or those two vehicles I mentioned. That is if I don't become too distracted with other projects. ...Which is highly likely. :)

https://thesticks.net/2018/11/03/special-artizan-service-miniatures-october-news-releases/

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 05:05:55 PM by Wyrmalla »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #339 on: November 03, 2018, 09:24:38 PM »
Interesting stuff.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #340 on: November 03, 2018, 09:39:14 PM »
And here's the review of Spectre Miniature's new BMP-1 kit.

https://thesticks.net/2018/11/03/miniatures-review-spectre-miniatures-bmp-1/

Re:

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #341 on: November 03, 2018, 10:52:14 PM »
Interesting review.

I will have to pick one up.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #342 on: November 09, 2018, 10:08:17 PM »
Here's the progress for the week. No new builds, but a few things have now been (finally) completed. 

Vehicles
BMP-1 AM

First up I managed to paint Spectre's new BMP-1 which I just reviewed in short order earlier in thr week. Not being fully satisfied with how the turret looks compared to the HLBS one (more on that model later), and being that its a fraction smaller than my other BMPs I decided to go with something a bit different. With the addition of a spare Empress BTR-80A turret (ah and when I say spare, I mean I now have a BTR-80 joining my forces rather than an 80A...) its an acceptable replication of one this cheap modernisation for the Russian state forces.

Its not a 100% accurate replica of the real thing. In details like the infrared sight and placement of some handholds, etc, but good enough for my purposes. I have seen another of their modernisations feature ERA, though I'm still waiting on an acceptable commercial set of add-on ERA rather than making it myself, and this vehicle looks good as is.

I also painted up the original turret which comes with the kit just in case. Though that'll probably be used on a technical in future.  

BTR-60 PB

A similarly ancient vehicle with a long service life, though without quite so much in the way of modernisations like the BMP-1 AM, here's this BTR-60 PB from Ukrainian company Mikromir now painted.

As I'd said in earlier posts this one took a bit of work to bring it up to standard. With the original kit lacking basic things like detail on the view ports (being totally flat like a toy), missing proper exhaust covers, and other little bits and pieces. With Hauler's etched brass parts and a set of resin wheels (which cost, well, just about the same as the base kit did) it looks better. I didn't use all the parts as some of the smaller bits were just too fiddly to be worth the effort, as were other bits just asking to be broken off with handling (being more geared towards a show piece than for a wargaming miniature).

I'd bought a second kit and set of after-market parts which will do for another of these. For the moment there's no set plan on what to do with them, especially with the three BTR-80s which I'm still left to build. Perhaps another base BTR-60 PB just with some extra parts like external stowage boxes and slat armour, or maybe a bit weirder. I don't believe there's much money in modernisations of the BTR-60 on the European market, so keeping the vehicle as a bog standard variant may be the most realistic choice (and there's still plenty of options as far as those go).  

BMP-1

Bringing it back around to the other BMP-1 which I now have. This is the older HLBS kit (in 1/48th scale rather than 1/50th like Spectre) and it shows to an extent in both how it fits together and the overall detail level compared to the one from earlier in this post. Still, given the majority of my vehicles were made by HLBS, this isn't massively noticeable.

I didn't do a whole lot with this vehicle, not bothering to add much in the way of the little details that the kit's missing from the real vehicle. Some extra tow cables and a bit of stowage at the back were enough, and the weathering then covered up the rest I suppose. From the earlier shot of it unpainted I did remove the passenger figures, which got in the way of storing the model, though Soviet vehicles should always have some dudes just hanging about on their roofs as standard to be fair. :)

Infantry
Separatist with Scorpion PKP

Outside of the vehicles to diversify things a bit I slipped some soldiers onto the painting table too.

This first guy represents a Russian backed Separatist fighter armed with the latest in their tech – and he is partially based on a video I found on the internet of a similarly equipped fellow. The model's one of Spectre new miniatures; a Spetsnaz figure lugging this distinctive weapon, with a head swap from one of their MENA figures which I had laying about (I have a few spare guys with PKMs for future squads just in case). Someone to give the Separatists a bit more bite as my other factions have been receiving more attention lately.

Russian PK Machine Gun Team

And lastly, here's a pair of miniatures whom I've had since the start of this project. Empress sell their Russian heavy weapon teams as a set of two squads – one with an RPG, the other with this MG. I only used the RPGs in my mechanized infantry platoon (their BMP-3s already armed with 3 a pair along with a 30mm and 100m cannon themselves), so having one of these at a command level seemed overkill. Instead I'd used the figures for other things like snipers or the gunner on that SPG-9 I'd made. However, it seemed a waste not to have the one to go with the platoon, even as heavier platoon level machine guns like the Kord are in the works by other miniature companies...  

Closing

That's another lot of models now cleared off my immediate to do list, so now its back to finding some more stuff to work on. As I said earlier, the three BTR-80s are still there, which may receive some love. As is there of course terrain too which is left to be finished (then hidden away in a box for a while...), and I could probably scare up some more scatter bits if they catch my eye when sifting through the bits stack.

So no plans right now for what to work on next, though of course expect some WIP pictures of whatever is decided on at some stage. :)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #343 on: November 09, 2018, 10:38:14 PM »
And to elaborate a bit on future potential BTR ideas. For either the remaining BTR-60 PB kit I have, or one of those BTR-80s which I'm due to convert I intend to make this.

(*edit - fixed dead link)

Because a machine gun bolted onto the top of the existing BTR turret seems like such a practical idea that they should make it standardised! Why not even give one to the commander? :)

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:59:10 PM by Wyrmalla »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #344 on: November 10, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »
Nice work.