Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:22:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A War in The East  (Read 74051 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A War in The East
« Reply #405 on: January 13, 2019, 08:35:15 PM »
@Ultravanillasmurf

It does appear to be just a regular resin, nothing fancy. Though I noticed that the Spectre vehicles also had a different type of resin with a few pieces. I've no idea why its different, but all the vehicles I have are from Imprint as opposed to HLBS.

I already have a BTR-82A which I built, so I'm not sure about buying one of Spectre's. With the limited Russian forces I have, another dedicated vehicle for them may not be necessary. Yeah, we'll have to see where they go with future kits.

@ von Lucky

Which images? Like can you see this one?

Most of the images are from Twitter. A couple are from random social media sites. There's a couple which I had to upload myself. I'd assume its either the random social media ones, or mine which are bugged. And if its the latter then ...blame it on Wordpress I guess. :/

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #407 on: January 15, 2019, 04:16:06 AM »
Which images? Like can you see this one?

Most of the images are from Twitter. A couple are from random social media sites. There's a couple which I had to upload myself. I'd assume its either the random social media ones, or mine which are bugged. And if its the latter then ...blame it on Wordpress I guess. :/

I can see that one, and one your blog I can see the images of your models. It's the external ones - though they show when I right mouse click to "View Image". Carry on.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #408 on: February 09, 2019, 08:03:44 AM »
A somewhat delayed post as I've been working on other projects lately. Currently I'm in the throws of restarting my Alternative History WWII collection witha  Soviet force, meanwhile I'm trying to find the time to paint up a horde of Nazi zombies for a game in a few weeks, and slowly work my way through painting some bits and bobs for that Sunless Sea project too.

Which is to say that this isn't more miniatures for this European setting, but once again I'm going back to the Middle East for more Jihadists. For the moment future content for that setting's likely going to be more of the same, though with some generic rebels coming in over time. As far as the topic of this thread though, that's still up in the air. I'd like to have those industrial buildings finished off at some point, and they'd do for a few boards if I can get them done. Though working on this Middle Eastern stuff has also meant that I may pivot my intentions behind some of the vehicles I've made so far. Painting up say those Russian vehicles in more generic colours so they can serve on multiple fronts (ah, and a post on those three BTR-80s is coming ...eventually).

Here's a link to the blog post concerning my modern Jihadist figures. Ah, and there's an ongoing thread in the Weird Wars section if you want to check out my WWII stuff. In either case, I can only work on some much in a week, which is to say; more of not working on my Eastern Europeans. ...But well, if you squint your eyes a bit, those Soviets in 1946 are kind of using the same gear as these modern figures (ok, I'll shh now :) ).

https://thesticks.net/2019/02/09/another-trip-to-the-middle-east/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #409 on: February 09, 2019, 08:29:27 AM »
Interesting read on the blog, thanks.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #410 on: February 09, 2019, 05:52:30 PM »
Cool stuff as always! I will be keeping my attention on this.  :o
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #411 on: February 13, 2019, 12:25:29 PM »
Do whatever your heart desires - it shows in what you've posted.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #412 on: April 03, 2019, 12:04:17 AM »
Lately I've been working on other projects, so once again my moderns have been sidelined. I have a post written up covering my Middle Eastern figures which is awaiting ...well those models actually being finished. However meanwhile we did manage to play a modern game at the club tonight. ...Yup, here's some actual images of a game here for once. ;)

Still not having managed to find some workable modern rules, we decided to go ahead and convert some which we knew already worked. With some tweaks and simplification Star Wars: Legion seems to work pretty well as a modern wargame. It could still do with some work, and we'll be playing another game next week. Ideally then thinking about adding in fancier equipment.

Each side was a platoon of three squads and a command element. The squads were seven men with a RPG and a LMG. The command was six men, with a MMG and DMR. These were backed by a HMG team, Recoilless Rifle/ ATGM and three vehicles; a soft skin technical, armoured car, and a IFV. Next week a small Special Forces team will be added (to try out infantry with better than bare bones stats).

The aim was to play this as a wargame, not a military simulator. So whilst some weapons will be modified in future to have a bit more penetration, we aren't intending for 100% realism.

As was found with Spectre: Operations, playing a game on the more realistic end of the scale just isn't feasible for us. How deadly things were made it difficult to work with more than a squad - as you had to think moves ahead, or lose a load of guys as they run out in the open or fall prey to an erstwhile grenade.

Instead things were fairly simplified. Squad organisation for instance originally started out as A LMG, MMG, 2x UBL, 2x Disposable RPGs, an RPG, grenades and then all the AKs. Or in other words - who shoots first annihilates anything that moves. The same goes for bringing in things like BMP-3s (the heaviest vehicle we had was the 30mm gun on a BTR-3), with their 100mm main gun, co-axle 30mm, 3x 7.62 MGs and a few ATGMs. Though even with all of that, a single ATGM could ruin that IFV's day and we return to the whole "who shoots first wins" thing (and not the sort of engaging firefights we were having tonight).

The image quality suffered a bit as the night went on and we lost the light, apologies. Looking at my board I ought to add more smaller scatter objects like street lights, bus benches, etc - but well, I have those already, just not painted.

Oh, and there's some new buildings in there which I haven't posted before, ah, which I'll find the time to do a write up about eventually. There's still around four or five of the things needing painted as is.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #413 on: April 03, 2019, 09:50:10 AM »
Looks good.

Interesting the issues you had with Spectre.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #414 on: April 03, 2019, 01:13:37 PM »
Dude, a game's a game. And whatever works for you - no need to apologise for doing what makes you happy.

Looks pretty cool though - nice details and kit on the table.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #415 on: April 03, 2019, 02:09:27 PM »
Dude, a game's a game. And whatever works for you - no need to apologise for doing what makes you happy.

Very well said.

Online racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #416 on: April 03, 2019, 05:38:52 PM »
I'd like to recommend Bolt Action with Modern supplement for a good set of rules if you have not tried them yet.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #417 on: April 03, 2019, 07:46:52 PM »
Heh, yeah, I may have felt the need to defend my choice of rules there. :)

I've tried Skirmish Sangin, Spectre: Operations, Bolt Action, and Force on Force (off the top of my head). None of them really suited the simplicity I've been looking for in games. Introducing a new system at my club - when people already are playing a half dozen - can be difficult, especially if its too complex, or doesn't fit in with our idea of fun.

We may have been spoiled of course. Over the past few years Ironclad Paul here had been feeding us some really easy to pick up games. Previously I was using a modified version of 7TV to represent everything (or rather 7ombie TV - the condensed version of those rules). With Paul it became Ogre. As do we play a few games like Conan, which are really more board games than wargames. Now if your rules can't be condensed down to a handful of pages its difficult for me at least to find the attention span to bother with them. ...I tried getting into Bolt Action 2nd Edition, but there was just too many pages.

At the moment I have the Radio Dish Dash rules Kickstarter coming later in the year - though will likely use that just for the models. Tiny Terrain Models have their rules coming out as well, as are there others like War Banner's. Warlord have a The Walking Dead wargame coming out at some point too, which could have prospects if its anything like the skirmish game. However, what may well happen is we'll just strip out the parts of the rules that are liked and implement those into what's already being used at the time.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #418 on: April 04, 2019, 01:40:48 PM »
Your mention of the TWD skirmish game is interesting. I have been thinking about All Out War rules as a mechanism for wargaming Hue (the diagram in Osprey's Campaign 4 of the street fighting in Hue is part of my inspiration).

Hopefully the skirmish rules will have everything in one place not scattered over multiple books.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 01:47:05 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #419 on: June 02, 2019, 09:34:03 PM »
As ever, lately my interest's continued to mostly be elsewhere - as I work on my Middle Eastern stuff for my moderns, along with other bits and bobs (this week its been more alt-history WWII vehicles). There tends to be a decent lag time between starting something and actually finishing anything. Which is to say ...ah, here's a post covering those BTR-80 conversions I mentioned at some point last year. Its up on that other blog as with Part 1 of the post covering BTR-80 variants.

https://thesticks.net/2019/06/02/notes-on-modelling-modern-russian-variants-of-the-btr-80-part-2/

For those interested in my other projects, I've also put up two posts on my Middle Eastern collection there as well. That will likely be carried over to my thread on Dakka Dakka in future, as there's a lot of talk about current events which may cause unecessary kerfuffles here of course. :)

https://thesticks.net/2019/05/09/a-return-to-the-syrian-civil-war/

There's a shorter post covering an armoured technical conversion over there as well.

https://thesticks.net/2019/05/18/syria-isis-up-armoured-pickup-truck/

For the immediate future this may be the last time I post over on that blog. The host's increased their fees, and I'm not seeing the value in keeping it over there. Its not a priority at the moment for me to look for alternatives immediately. So for the meantime I'll be posting any content not suitable for here either on Facebook, Dakka Dakka or Reddit (...whichever fits, so ah, you may see me posting on random Star Wars and other pages every now and then).

For now though I'm doing my usual. I.e. too much. So expect something out of me, I'm just not sure what or when. My Weird War II thread may be the next to be updated, though that's what I'm thinking today - I could be working on something completely different a week from now. :)