Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:00:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Copplestone Pilots and 1:48 scale aircraft  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
Copplestone Pilots and 1:48 scale aircraft
« on: April 09, 2009, 12:45:38 AM »
Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the forum, and while at the moment I'm still working on my Old West project (buildings as well as minis), I'm still looking ahead to future gaming projects.
The next one I have in mind is a Back of Beyond/Pulp-type crossover. In my mind, there's a lot of overlap between the two, and the reason I'm interested in doing a crossover, of sorts, is for versatility. Old West is pretty much Old West - how can you use your cowboys in a Pulp setting, for example? But I'm looking forward to working in a period/area that allows me to mix and match models and terrain a bit - hence the Back of Beyond/Pulp crossover.
One of the things that really attracts me to this period/arena is the vehicles, and I've already begun gathering vehicles from here and there. I have a few Matchbox and Lledo 1:48 that look excellent, in terms of scale, with Artizan and Copplestone minis, but here's my first question - how well do they scale up against the vehicles of, say, companies like Sloppy Jalopy and Company B? Do they mix at all, or is it a question of choosing one or the other type? Do 28mm driver models that look good in the driving seat of a Company B truck look good in the driving seat of a 1:48 Matchbox "Models of Yesteryear" Talbot truck?
One thing I really want to do, though, is to have some planes in the game, and maybe even introduce some dogfighting rules. I've noticed, for example, that WW1 biplane model kits are pretty cheap, so I would definitely consider a sky pirates/dogfighting type spinoff - why not, when you can pick up a Spad XIII or a Sopwith F.1 Camel for less than ten dollars?
But here's my question - or at least my final question! 1:48 seems to be the scale of choice for aircraft for 28mm gaming, but how well do the pilot models from the Copplestone range, for example, scale up with the 1:48 models? Can you, for example, use the seated models/pilot torsos in 1:48 models, or is there a scale problem at this point that you just don't notice when you're looking at models on foot beside the plane on the ground?
Any help/advice/input on this would really be appreciated - all I can promise in return (eventually...) is pictures. And we all love pictures, don't we?
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Re: Copplestone Pilots and 1:48 scale aircraft
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 06:26:13 AM »
Vehicles:
Sloppy Jaloppy is 1/48, Company B 1/56. They don't mix well. Matchbox MOY has some different scales, I have a crossley in 1/56 and a Rolls Royce armored car in 1/48, these should be nearly the same size but the Rolls dwarfs the Crossley for obvious reasons.
If I had to start new I'd go for all 1/56 as Company B has a lot of the things I have in 1/48.

Planes: The Copplestone pilots work very good with 1/48.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:45:03 AM »
Copplestone's own website says, "Fit nicely in 1/48th aircraft." in their blurb for their pilot figures, even.

Straight from the source!

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:21:20 PM »
Thanks, Wirelizard, I didn't even see that when I was eying up the models! Just goes to show - focus too much on something, and you tend to miss what's important! That's good news, though. I really like those Copplestone pilots, and the Testors biplanes look like great value for money - dogfights over central Asia, here I come!
Piliorketes - thanks for the feedback on the vehicles. If I use my 1:48 Models of Yesteryear, Company B are out, then. But Sloppy Jalopy are 1:48, you say, which means they should fit with my 1:48 Models of Yesteryear... This is interesting. At the very least it means that I'll be able to use Sloppy Jalopy driver and passenger models in the cars I already have. Excellent!
Things are slowly coming together - surely world domination can only be a few weeks away (if somebody on this forum hasn't already beaten me to it...).