Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:07:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686585
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scale-o-matic TM  (Read 135929 times)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Re: Scale-o-matic TM
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 03:09:57 PM »

Hey Maichus,

I'm glad your great new Japanese are on a par with Hinterland.  In the early days of Hinterland I wondered if I'd made a horrible mistake not making them more similar in size to Copplestone.  As time has gone by, however, I've grown more and more content with their size.  Best of luck with Tsuba.  And thanks for throwing in a  Hinterland mini for comparison.

Jason/Mancha

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 06:27:36 AM »
A few 15mm sci fi figures with Khurasan alien(not predator) the new Oddzial Osmy NVL trooper, a GZG Nac trooper and a Oddzial Osmy space worm.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »
<snip>

The size of different miniatures is a real bugbear of mine.  Why can't manufacturers state the size of their miniatures in their catalogues?  Its so simple.

Tony

First there is the issue of scale (1/300th) versus size (6 mm) which is n't standard within each category. 

Second, How tall is "a Normal man."

Third there is the stupid (IMNSHO) issue of measuring "to the eyes" which doesn't happen with real humans.  Seriously?  "...to the eyes.."? Seriously?

Now that I have vented, nice effort on the scale-o-matic thing.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 11:07:53 PM »
Great, thanks for those pics guys, they will be up shortly! (Goes to show how little I've been on here lately... really must do something about that!).

The issue for 28mm, as far as I see it, is simply one of standardisation across ranges, more so than attributing a quantifiable scale to the figures. Although, both points do affect eachother.

What is frustrating is buying a pack of 28mm figures from one manufacturer, and finding they do not match with those of another. This is sometimes a problem within companies themselves (Foundry's "Old" and "New" Wild West ranges, for example). This, of course, takes into account the diversity of the human form in real life...

Hopefully this collection of pictures will help toy soldier enthusiasts avoid that frustration  :)

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2012, 10:48:54 AM »
Great thread.
I will continue.

Victrix plastic, Capitan miniatures lead, Perry miniature plastic

Victrix lead. Capitan miniatures lead, Perry minaitures plastic Hussar and Dragoon.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:40:55 PM by Engel »

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 11:37:16 PM »
Head comparison:

- GW Space Marine -     - MaxMini -          - Mad Robot -      - GW Catachan -
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:47:36 PM by Hammers »
per aspera ad astra

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 01:08:34 AM »
Excellent idea and I will make this a sticky.

I think it may be helpful to read this blog post in "The World According to Tom (Meier of Thunderbolt et all fame):

http://thunderboltmountain.com/serendipity/index.php?/archives/P1.html

It points out several issues with miniature compatibility and problems with miniature photography in that respect.

404 error

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2013, 08:41:45 PM »

Third there is the stupid (IMNSHO) issue of measuring "to the eyes" which doesn't happen with real humans.  Seriously?  "...to the eyes.."? Seriously?

I think the habit of categorizing figures by height instead of scale is the real 'bug' here. When doing so, you have to use a convention to deal with the fact that many model soldiers wear big hats that make measuring to the top of the head rather impractical. My guess is, the idea of measuring to the eye level originates from the fact that almost every model soldier, regardless of headgear, has eihter visible eyes or another indication of the eye level (visor slits, goggles, you name it).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 09:31:18 PM »
I think the habit of categorizing figures by height instead of scale is the real 'bug' here. When doing so, you have to use a convention to deal with the fact that many model soldiers wear big hats that make measuring to the top of the head rather impractical. My guess is, the idea of measuring to the eye level originates from the fact that almost every model soldier, regardless of headgear, has eihter visible eyes or another indication of the eye level (visor slits, goggles, you name it).

That's correct. You must not forget that these scale conventions predate wargaming and come from the old "flats". Most of the minis at that time were Napoleonic Wars and the hats were rather big/high at that time.
Far less active than I used to...

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2013, 03:43:52 PM »
Zombiesmith To'ok

Grenadier Trooper - Took - Void Viridian - Took - Took - Dark Eldar
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:43:43 AM by Hammers »
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2013, 03:50:45 PM »

from left to right:
15mm barbarian - 15mm troll - 28mm german - 28mm barbarian - 28mm yeti - 15mm giant - 28mm giant.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:43:53 AM by Hammers »

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 02:00:52 AM »
A strange ensemble of 28-32mm figures

Hasslefree, Black Scorpion, Hasslefree, Hasslefree, EM4, EM4, EM4

Hasslefree, Em4, Em4, Hasslefree, EM4, Black Scorpion, Black scorpion, Hasslefree, GW, GW, GW

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2014, 08:37:06 AM »
Saracen cavalry comparison picture
http://kampgruppe-engel.blogspot.se/2014/09/saracen-cavalry-comparison-pictures-old.html

The miniatures are from left to right:
Perry miniatures, unpainted Old Glory Arab Armoured Cavalry, Musketeer miniature,Gripping beast (they use the same horses and are almost exactly sculpt-wise), converter plastic Conquest Games Normans, unpainted Old Glory Ghulams, Magister Militum.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2015, 12:33:09 AM »

Hasslefree Joe 28mm, Brother Vinni Protectron 28mm, WotC Tusken Raider 32mm, WotC Jawa, Black Scorpion 32mm, WotC Merc

Cheers
Matt

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2017, 01:45:19 PM »
Just wanted to thank those who put these together.  I've got some Konflikt '47 (Bolt Action figs) Brits on the way and am planning to order some West Wind Productions gas-masked heads for them.

The pics confirm that while the figs are a bit different sized, the heads are the about the same, with the WWProd heads possibly being better sized than the Bolt Action originals.

Thanks again!