Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:09:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Speedpainting (for me) Teutonic Knights  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Speedpainting (for me) Teutonic Knights
« on: November 05, 2017, 02:05:19 AM »
So, a while back I quizzed people on what would be a good cheap army to play Lion Rampant with, and I ended up with Fireforge Teutonics.

My goal is to get the army painted to tabletop standard before I next go  to play in the group that has started a campaign using Lion Rampant and an old boardgame map, which should be the 3rd weekend of November.  I had 6 'units' built out the 3 boxes of figures I bought, and I built them in a weekend.

Thought I should at least throw them up here, even if they are nowhere near the quality of some of the stuff that pops up here.  I am NOT Captain Blood - though I hope to get close someday in my painting skills. Of course, I have trouble painting a straight line anymore - bloody arthritis.

This will give me one good unit of Crossbowmen, and two good units of Foot Sergeants.  I have a foot unit that could be either a unit of Expert Foot, or maybe 2 units of Foot Men-at-Arms, and then two units of Mounted Men-at-Arms to go.

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Re: Speedpainting (for me) Teutonic Knights
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 07:18:51 AM »
LOOKING GOOD - WHERE ARE THE MOVEMENT TRAYS FROM PLEASE

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 08:48:15 AM »
Look good to me, very nice, and the movement trays are super. :)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 04:58:19 PM »
The movement trays are custom made - I am in charge of the router/engraver at work, and so I am able to cobble together things like this out of scrap that is otherwise too scratched or small to be usable.  I also cut out all of the bases, which is why they are octagonal.  I made them that way so I could rank them together, but still be small enough to use on movement trays made for 1" circle bases.

I just made a random shape, stretched it around a bit, and cut it out.  Glad you guys like them.  I wasn't sure how they would look since I went the old school method of flocking for my basing - for me, that is a throwback way of doing things - but they do have a certain flair to them.

Offline Dez

• Librarian
    • https://vk.com/club90445881
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 07:28:10 PM »
What a nonsense? Is it that all the brothers? Halfbrothers (Serjeants) and knechts had gray livery ...

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 09:04:45 PM »
They look pretty good to me.   :)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 12:27:30 AM »
What a nonsense? Is it that all the brothers? Halfbrothers (Serjeants) and knechts had gray livery ...

Did they?  I couldn't find much in the way of information past the Osprey book, and that was pretty sparse.  References?  To be honest, I am painting mostly off the few pics I could find that weren't just another persons miniatures.

Offline Dez

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 08:26:41 AM »
This is so, without thinking:

Not a bad book:

In general, this was indicated in the Charter of the Order. White clothes and raincoats could be worn only by Knights-brothers of the Order.

Couple of my tables on Tannenberg (1415), but the general concept is:

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 02:04:39 PM »
This is so, without thinking:

Why didn't you just be a bit more polite and offer the information up front?

Offline Dez

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 02:09:49 PM »
I meant fast.  :) And, in general, you can ask, before painting, if there is no information.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:14:25 PM by Dez »

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 04:16:23 PM »
@Sinewgrab: If you want to expand your army, this might be a helpful page ( PDF ):

file:///C:/Users/Windows/Downloads/Instrukcja54003-web.pdf

For a quick pj, they look more than good  :).
Leadhead

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 02:40:55 AM »
Why didn't you just be a bit more polite and offer the information up front?

Not just me, then.

Dez, your examples are appreciated - I could find nothing when I spent several hours running about the 'net.  I suspect that my keeping it to english language pages could be part of the issue.  You may want to work on your presentation though - it carried a tone that could be read as rude or at best, brusque.

@Sinewgrab: If you want to expand your army, this might be a helpful page ( PDF ):

file:///C:/Users/Windows/Downloads/Instrukcja54003-web.pdf

For a quick pj, they look more than good  :).

Huh - this is helpful as well.

If I add any more units to the army after this, I will likely shift the color to a more medium gray, but for now I will leave them as is and chalk it up to human error.

Offline MM

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 07:33:39 AM »
Nice! i'm planning a 10mm Teutonic army and even in that scale I'm daunted by all the white.

The German language book "Deutschorden", seen above, is very informative (even though my grasp of that language is poor).
The most important conclusions in that book for me were that the sergeants wore grey but not with the T-cross but the ordinary cross in the middle or on their left breast like the knights and that their shield were identical (white and black), and that apparently the knights didn't have horse surcoats! So the second image of the crossbowman and knights seems most correct.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 08:51:26 PM »
The look good to me. If the whole grey/white thing is a major issue it should be easy enough to grey down the white with a black ink wash.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 12:09:56 AM »
Sympathy about the arthritis; it's been colonising my hips for the last decade or so. If you haven't tried, you might give fish oil capsules a go. I've found they really help get it under control.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.