Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:28:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689511
  • Total Topics: 118283
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Post-Apoc Game of Choice  (Read 2398 times)

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
Post-Apoc Game of Choice
« on: November 06, 2017, 02:32:25 PM »
Lately I've found myself tempted by some Post-Apoc games, in large part due to the new Punkapocalyptic Kickstarter. It's led me to check out a few rulesets, but I'd love to hear if people have a preferred game, and if so why they like it better than others. Right now the big three on my list are This Is Not A Test, Scrappers, and Wreck-Age. I'm most intrigued by This Is Not A Test, but that $50 rulebook makes it tricky. Worth it?

I'd love to hear some opinions. Thanks!

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: Post-Apoc Game of Choice
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 02:40:15 PM »
I prefer my post apoc  stuff a bit more contemporary or near future. Not a genre I play much but I've enjoyed both the Walking Dead game by Mantic and Across the Dead Earth by Dead earth Games.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »
I'm most intrigued by This Is Not A Test, but that $50 rulebook makes it tricky. Worth it?

You can purchase a PDF copy of the TNT rulebook for $20.

http://worldsendpublishing.com/product/this-is-not-a-test-official-rulebook/

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 07:49:04 PM »
Welcome to the world of the post apocalypse!

I'm probably the odd man out when it comes to rules as I am an avid HOTT player. For me those rules work just fine and allow lots of options when putting a force together.

And if it helps, my approach is very heavily influenced by the Mad Max movies, plus several others and some of the books I've read on the genre. Basically, not too heavy in modern weapons, and limited availability of modern conveniences.

For lots of good ideas I recommend Michael Hopf's New World series, which I believe is 7 volumes (I'm up to volume 5 now). But there are lots of other good books to read available.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 12:17:44 AM »
I prefer my post apoc  stuff a bit more contemporary or near future. Not a genre I play much but I've enjoyed both the Walking Dead game by Mantic and Across the Dead Earth by Dead earth Games.

I prefer the same more realistic post apoc. I really enjoy the Walking Dead game by Mantic as well. I had never heard of Across the Dead Earth. I have read This is Not a Test, but never played it.

Online Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 02:16:38 AM »
I'd recommend This is Not a Test - it is a very good and very innovative ruleset. Gives a great game in a reasonable time period.

If you happen to be in Canberra on Sunday (well, it could happen) drop by our participation game to give it a go!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 03:32:05 AM »
I honestly like to use Pulp Alley.  It is such a flexible system, and plays fast and enjoyably.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Kamandi

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 04:36:11 AM »
It's a genre with a lot of choices and no clear favourite as far as I can see. Almost any tactical skirmish game, like Pulp Alley, can be given a PostApoc spin. Any modern rules can be used for day-after scenarios or near future. If you want wild and wa-hoo weird science and mutants then I can recommend Mutants & Death Ray Guns from Ganesha Games - one of their Song of Blades and Heros variants.
If you want to hold off for a bit, Fallout Wasteland Warfare is coming out soon(ish)/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 04:38:54 AM by Kamandi »
"Something had happened in the dim past...! A natural disaster coupled with Radiation! The people in the bunkers lived out their lives and died dreaming of a day of return---The radiation would be gone---and the world would be left waiting---"

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 11:37:50 AM »
I favour small skirmish games in a  "limited tech" post apocalypse world without heavy weapons, motor vehicles and such like.
Wreck Age is probably the best set of rules I have found that allow you to tailor the equipment and setting to the style of game you want. That said it is pretty complex and is better for regular play than "pick up" games.

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 04:11:02 PM »
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the suggestions. I like a pretty good mix of things in post-apoc, depending on my mood. Sometimes I like low tech struggles for survival, other times I'd like to game something like Fallen Skies, with a mix of low and high tech.

I started reading Wreck Age last night as I discovered it in my tremendous backlog of gaming PDFs, and I really like it so far. A great mix of factions and I like the 'rpg-lite' feel it has.

Offline tcaquati

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 02:57:03 PM »
I like This is Not a Test.  Played multiple campaigns and a large number of one off games.

You can give it a test drive with free test demo rules.  http://worldsendpublishing.com/downloads-and-media/

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 07:50:36 PM »
I did pick up the PDF of TNT now as well. I think I like that ruleset the best, though I like the fluff of Wreck Age a bit more. So now I'm picking up cool post apoc miniatures that I've always liked but never had an opportunity to buy. First up was this guy:

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 07:59:40 PM »
Lovely skin tones :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 08:02:30 PM »
Oh that's just a pic I swiped from google. I wish mine would look that good! Right now it's a lovely shade of resin gray. :D

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 10:57:13 PM »
Mongo! Great sculpt.

He's made appearances in some of our PA games.

As far as rule sets go, I confess I'm partial to Zona Perestrelki, our home brew, STALKER-flavored skirmish rules.