Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:05:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dracula's America rules questions  (Read 33695 times)

Offline WulframMors

• Librarian
Re: Dracula's America rules questions
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2018, 02:24:43 AM »
I have just finished reading the Forbidden Powers supplement for Dracula's America and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, I have encountered a problem. On page 68 is a very nice illustration of a Hex Slinger but nowhere in the book are there any rules or stats for a Hex Slinger. The caption for the illustration claims she is part of the Salem Sisterhood, which brings up another problem. This faction's benefit is that it must have three female witches - 1 Maiden, 1 Mother and 1 Crone - no more and no less. The problem is that on page 46 it states "your posse can never include any other Arcanists." The Hex Slinger most definitely looks like an Arcanist so how can she be a member of the Salem Sisterhood?

It's actually one of the new Arcanist skills. Presumably the artwork depicts a Salem Witch with said skill.

My Fallout Project: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=63394.0
My Dracula's America Project: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=105669.0

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
    • Vampifan's World of the Undead
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2018, 08:30:01 AM »
Thank you most kindly for clarifying that.  :)

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2018, 01:05:59 AM »
In the Hunting Grounds book there is an illustration for a Forsaken Sharpshooter, is there a profile for that somewhere? I can't find one.

Offline WulframMors

• Librarian
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2018, 01:20:49 PM »
In the Hunting Grounds book there is an illustration for a Forsaken Sharpshooter, is there a profile for that somewhere? I can't find one.

Much like the Freeman Guerrilla in the Core Book, the Forsaken Sharpshooter just appears to be a flavorful name for a regular member of the posse.

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2018, 02:25:54 PM »
Cool, thanks!

Offline Luisito

• Librarian
Re: Dracula's America...Its not a rules question
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2018, 10:40:48 PM »
HI

Its not a rules question... My friend and I managed to find the Eldritch entities amongst the Cthulhu monsters . Only one we didnt find . The lurking horror....Wich monster you are referring to ?

thanks    ..................A great book!

Luis

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2018, 07:16:20 AM »
Probably a Hunting Horror, or even a Dimensional Shambler.

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2018, 05:45:06 AM »
Hey, Luis!
Keeper Nilbog is sort of correct- it has elements of a Hunting Horror but is mainly a creature of my own devising- couldn't resist the chance to add my own beastie to the Mythos!  ;)
I now have a Blog, like an actual modern-day human!
https://lead-mountaineer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Luisito

• Librarian
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2018, 12:10:00 AM »
I got the answer on FB but thanks anyway. ;),. Great materias in the last book.
Clarification needed:  For Salem's Sisterhood  A witch counts herself  as friendly witch ?

thanks

Luis

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2018, 04:32:35 PM »
No worries- yep, a Witch counts as a friendly Witch to herself, so a Maiden would benefit from her own ability, for example- it's there on page 46: "Any Witch that is not Down will grant a bonus to all friendly Witches within LOS and 3", including herself".

Hope that clears it up for you!  :)

Offline Luisito

• Librarian
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2018, 03:13:36 AM »
Thanks !  It was clearly written in the rules !  :)

Offline Nightpaw

• Librarian
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2018, 12:01:21 PM »
While "Hunting Grounds" presents rules for close combat weapons and shows prices for spears, swords and even two-handed weapons, there are no costs listed for the most basic and iconic close combat weapon: the knife. What price should be set for a knife? 1$, like a throwing weapon? Or is every character supposed to be equipped with a knife at zero costs? I have played 3 times with 4 different people and everybody has asked for knives. Or did I miss something in the rules?

One more question (Hunting Grounds, page 48): "... this counts as the Pinkerton's Activation…" Does this mean that the Pinkerton Agent is done the moment he arrives on the table or is he able to perform the two actions of his Solo Activation after he has been placed on the table?

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2018, 07:40:24 AM »
Hey, Nightpaw!

1) Yes, knives are assumed to be the default weapon used in a Fight where appropriate and at no cost- in a similar way, throwing knives would come under Throwing Weapons. Dracula's America focuses on shootouts with guns and the occasional bow, and so close combat is deliberately weaker than ranged combat- you can still do well with a heavy melee focus in your Posse; you just need to work a little harder for the victory, is all! :) Having said that, you will find some alternate rules that make Fighting a little stronger on my Blog:
https://lead-mountaineer.blogspot.com/2018/08/return-to-draculas-america-part-2.html

2) And yes, appearing as if from nowhere uses up the Pinkerton's entire Activation- think of your Agent as a more subtle, last-minute objective grabber, rather than an ambusher who leaps out all guns blazing! Careful positioning is the order of the day.

Hope that all helps!

Offline Nightpaw

• Librarian
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2018, 07:43:50 AM »
Many thanks for the clarifications!

Another question came up last Friday: If model A starts its activation in the mortal realms with a red card and switches to the Hunting Grounds, can it declare a charge in the same activation on model B that has already been in the Hunting Grounds? This situation cost the life of my Dark Confederacy Necromancer last Friday who considered himself save in the Hunting Grounds, when all of a sudden a Skinwalker Wolf changed realms, charged and downed him with the first part of its activation and slayed its hapless victim with the second part.

By the way, the Wolf seems to be a killing machine. Range 6" (8" running) and 3 + 2 + 1 = 6 attack dice while charging (7 if you give him "mean", which unfortunately was the case in the situation described above). If you can't gun this beast down before he reaches you in close combat, you are dead meat...

Thanks and regards
N.

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2018, 01:59:24 PM »
No problem, Nightpaw!

As to your other question, model 'A' would indeed be able to gain the Charge bonus on model 'B', as the 'shift' between realms is made at the start of the Activation before any Actions are declared. 'A' would then be able to declare a Move and Charge 'B' (assuming they can fulfil the usual Charge criteria)!
It takes a little getting used to the nuances of shifting between realms, but it can lead to all kinds of interesting situations- best advice is to take your time, try to think a few moves ahead and approach things as logically as possible. A few practice games never goes amiss before diving into a Hunting Grounds-based Campaign!  :)

And yes, Wolf-Form Skinwalkers can be very scary indeed- setting up models on Lookout goes some way to locking them down a little (to go back to your example, model 'B' would have been able to get off a reactive shot on 'A' if they had been on Lookout!). Also bear in mind that they only get their +2 Dice when attacking, not defending. If a Wolf does get in amongst your Posse, pile in as many of your guys on them as possible to rob them of all their Dice with Outnumbering- safety in numbers, and all that (just be wary of 'Ornery Skinwalkers)...

Hope that helps!