Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:22:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686664
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: All things Rogue Trader and Warhammer 40K (May 2022: SPACE DWARFS!)  (Read 36491 times)

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Nice.

Interesting background.

Offline Tauntaun Scout

• Assistant
Nice.

Interesting background.

Thanks! It's the only place with good enough lighting 24 hours a day to reliably take pics of minis. Here's ALL my orks. Only 10 dozen or so to go before I fill up a 24x22 board. Shown here are roughly 20 dozen.

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
Thanks Dr Mathias!  There’s something magical about those old Land Raiders, I’m itching to paint one myself.  When they had power fields, and Techmarines had those rings that meant they were bonded to them. 

Cheer Daeothar.  How did your conversion work out?  The mk6 crew on those original Speeders are tiny compared to the standard Marines, did the new torso work out?

Tauntaun Scout – That is a mighty glorious project there.  I like how you’ve arranged it all out at once, it evokes the same magical feel as those photos of the starter set in the White Dwarf two-page adverts.  And a Battlewagon too!  Woof!

Introducing the classic plastic 1988 Warlord Titan Ferrum Dux, part of my growing War Griffons Titan legion.

Intact cardboard Void Shield spinny disc and everything. Mwah. Mwah mwah mwah.

Ferrum Dux was painted for a game of vintage Adeptus Titanicus (none of that fancy new 8mm stuff) against the forces of Jean-Baptiste & Associates. He joins the Warhound Titan that Jean-Baptiste also strong-armed me into painting, proving I’m nothing more than a monkey dancing to the whims of that man.

Epic scale Warhound Titan, Epic scale Walord Titan, and a 40K scale Intercessor Sergeant.

The Warlord kit is simple kit of only about a dozen pieces (compared to the modern version’s 144), and has to be assembled in a very fixed pose of striding forward with the left leg. This has the effect of making multiple Warlords (like there’d be in this game) look like a dance troupe. To avoid this I amputated both legs at the knee, and replaced them with a pair of right legs so the ankles and knees would be symmetrical.

The indomitable power stance of an 1980s heavy metaller.

The humongous number of weapon options the kit came with have been cannibalised by years of my frivolous conversions, so I had to resort to some trimmed Technolog missile pods for the carapace. For bonus hipster points, the banner pole fitting is a cut down Zoid cannon. I magnetised all these options though so I can switch them out later if the guilt becomes too much. Or I find even rarer indie kits to incorporate.

Look at my pods!

The carapace banner designs are adapted from the Wayne England illustrations on the War Griffons spread in White Dwarf, as is pretty much the entire Warlord’s colour scheme. However, this time I experimented with introducing the yellow you see a lot of modern War Griffons in. I’d previously thought it would look odd alongside the gold, but it worked a treat. And ultimately, I’m glad I’m getting all these colour experiments done before I commit paint to the 40K scale Armorcast Titans.

War Griffons spread from White Dwarf 120, December 1989.

Carapace banner, front and back.

This mighty metal plastic warlord is now ready to come crashing down in sheets of flame on the gaming table, as it did right at the start of the long-anticipated game with Jean-Baptiste.  War Griffons, huh, yeah, what are they good for? Absolutely nothing!

Here’re my Titans fighting against my old tournament Ork army. You can see I have a big thing for big Titans with big banners and lots of big rockets.

The Bad Moon Ork Gargant Rokkit Bastid engages the War Griffons outside the walls of Gork’s Fort, Nuke Castle.

Two Titans done, more on their way. I’ve got a second Warhound and a Reaver on the desk at the moment – watch this space.

Ninjabread out!

More miniatures at:https://www.ninjabread.co.uk
Painting tutorials at: https://www.patreon.com/ninjabread

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: All things Rogue Trader and Warhammer 40K (June 2020: Warlord Titan)
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2020, 06:45:32 PM »
Fantastic  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2020, 06:59:26 PM »
Those are some beautiful titans. 
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2020, 07:34:55 PM »
Truly beautiful work  ;D Love the old school look.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2020, 10:43:50 PM »
Great work on that Titan!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2020, 10:58:53 AM »
Awesome work on that titan!

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2020, 11:12:35 AM »
Nice work on a classic mini! The base is a nice touch too! :-*

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2020, 07:39:00 PM »
Beautiful work, Curis!

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2021, 06:22:33 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, peeps!

Come friend, come and learn of the secret origin the first Inquisitor at the dawn of Warhammer 40,000. This is the tale of Inquisitor Lord Augustus Hargen and his ingredient parts.

Left to right: Sir Gigal de Appliance, Inquisitor Lord Augustus Hargen, and Traitor General.

Sculptor Bob Naismith made this O.G. Inquisitor by combining two Citadel Miniatures from earlier ranges – Warhammmer Fantasy’s CH2 Chaos Warrior Sir Gigal de Appliance and 2000AD’s JD14 Traitor General. I painted all three so they could stand side-by-side radiating mad Citadel Crossover Energy.

This magical combo of medieval fantasy tropes and British military scifi elements established the tone for Warhammer 40,000. The whole gothic techno-fantasy universe spins out from seeds like this and Inquisitor Ezquerra. Thirty-three years later Games Workshop are still designing ornately armoured Inquisitors like the upcoming Kyria Draxus.

Hargen popped up multiple times in the seminal Rogue Trader rulebook, and featured in the Spacewar Citadel Combat Cards.

Inquisitor Lord Augustus Hargen and his Scooby Gang solving mysteries on Helsreach.

I entered Hargen, along with Sir Gigal and Traitor General into the Oldhammer Community’s Naismithery Competition, and to my astronomical levels of delight Bob Naismith chose the trio as the winner. Bob’s sent me a super-special one-of-a-kind prize which I’ll show soon. Thanks, Bob! Bob’s currently working on his Overrunners range which you can check out here.

Ninjabread out!

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
Really nice painting.  :-*

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Lovely :-*
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Great work, I am not surprised that you won!

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
Last time I went to visit the great sho3box he treated me to a day out at Prince August – Ireland’s finest toy soldier factory. It was the greatest day ever.

sho3box (left) and me (right) being all cool at Prince August.

There at the factory of dreams I feasted upon the piles of vintage Warzone blisters with great plans to rebuild the exact same Imperial Mega Corporation Army of my nerdy teenage years – starting with a squad of Wolfbane Commandos.

The derpy eyes betray the anxiety of standing on a non-standard 32mm base.

Wolfbane Commandoes suffered from the classic 1990s problem of feet spilling over the 25mm base edge, so Wolfbane #1 I painted (above left) got a 32mm base. But the more I looked at it, the more I feared I’d betrayed the Spirit of the 1990s, so Wolfbane #2 got a classic 25mm base with dark green drybrushed sand, with which I was much happier, and so I did the whole squad this way.

An actual shelf in my house, or a highly contrived setting to make you feel it’s the 1990s? Answers in the comments!

The colour scheme is a pretty straight copy of the original studio colour scheme, as I wanted to relive those days when “giant yellow shoulder pads” and “commando” could be unironically synonomous.

Woflbane Commandos advance through the ruins of Hexau Prime.

I really enjoyed painting these old metal nuggets, and hope to build the army up with some Imperial Blood Berets next.

Ninjabread out!