Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:07:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690544
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Arloids virtual workbench  (Read 2432 times)

Offline arloid

• Bookworm
Arloids virtual workbench
« on: November 07, 2017, 09:12:20 PM »
Hey all,

In order to keep track of my progress and hopefully give myself a kick in the butt I decided to post my wargaming related CAD endeavors here.
As such let's start with my first project.

I've decided to start making some 25mm bases with wound dails for my infinity miniatures. Currently the bases are 3.8mm thick and can check 3 - 0 wounds.

Originally I had it set up for 2 10mm dails, however due to the small size of the text it wouldn't be able to be 3d printed using a regular fdm 3d printer.
Still the text needs to be reworked so it can also be 3d printed using a 0.4mm nozzle, currently the text can only be 3d printed with a nozzle 0.3mm or smaller.

For now it's almost ready for test printing, hopefully in a few months I can afford to get a 3d printer and get started on the aesthetics.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Re: Arloids virtual workbench
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »
Looks good so far.

Are you tempted to add texture to the top piece to give different bases?

Offline arloid

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 09:42:13 PM »
I was planning on adding multiple different textured ones once I'm done with the testing phase Andrew, as well as making a few different sizes.

Offline arloid

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 05:55:13 PM »
Alright it's been a while since the first project has started and to be fair, it hasn't really gone of the ground since. However I made some promises to the group at the local store and long story short I have to design 2 tables worth of terrain for playing infinity on.

One of the tables is a trading facility operated by your friendly neighborhood Haqqislam and the other a abandoned underwater base. I've started work on the abandoned underwater base, below are the planned hallways in their current state.

I plan on adding acrylic windows later on. I also need to make some maintenance hatches into the floors as a way of adding cover as well as adding some detail to the panels below the windows. Once that is finished I can break everything up into different parts.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 04:00:46 AM »
Looks very nifty.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 07:35:25 AM »
nice start
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 11:21:13 AM »
Cool stuff. I'd am having a go at larning how to muck about in Scetchup for my projects. A biy product of helping my wife with her shop window projects.

Offline arloid

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 02:29:51 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys,

Nice to hear your having a go at moddeling too Hammers. I don’t know a lot about sketchup, but the day worth of experience I have with it made me realise what a nice program it is.
I actually consider switching over to it as my main program for modelling once these 2 projects are over. It just feels as a much more relaxed program.

On another note, what does your wife make? You kinda Made me curious.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 02:41:25 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys,

Nice to hear your having a go at moddeling too Hammers. I don’t know a lot about sketchup, but the day worth of experience I have with it made me realise what a nice program it is.
I actually consider switching over to it as my main program for modelling once these 2 projects are over. It just feels as a much more relaxed program.

On another note, what does your wife make? You kinda Made me curious.

She is using Sketchup for a class she is doing in visual merchendizing. Currently I am making a scale display to help her with her exam work. A window display for the museum shop of the Mediteranean archeology Museum of Stockholm.

Offline arloid

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 02:49:34 PM »
She is using Sketchup for a class she is doing in visual merchendizing. Currently I am making a scale display to help her with her exam work. A window display for the museum shop of the Mediteranean archeology Museum of Stockholm.
Alright, I can see why it’s Important to use Sketchup then, it really lends itself to that kind of task. Good luck with making the display.

Offline arloid

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 08:23:28 PM »
And it has been a while, not much progress, but I´ve started my CAD endeavors again. Started things simple by making a simple 4'x4' tile as a base to build on.

Talks with the local shop owner have landed on their face, I haven´t had any contact with the store ever since I asked one of the store clerics to make the owner contact me about what he exactly want for terrain for the store. Doesn´t really look like it´s high on the agenda, anyway I´m not gonna worry about it unless he brings it up.

Gonna make a hex grid next.