Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:14:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: DR- Zvezda, toys, Reaper, Antediluvian Demons  (Read 6527 times)

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
DR- Zvezda, toys, Reaper, Antediluvian Demons
« on: November 09, 2017, 09:25:48 PM »
A grab bag of stuff I've been painting. I slacked off because of the photobucket ransom in regards to posting pics but went ahead and got an imgur account.

So... Dragon Rampant has completely consumed me. I have found it so diverse that it just has me painting anything and everything these days. Find a toy at the Dollar store? Wham, it's in it to winnit.

Dollar General skeletal scorpion? Cheap and an awesome greater warbeast. Next to my son's Mantic Storm Rider cavalry for scale.

At the convention this summer a vendor just left a pile of old Happy Meal toys on his table he didn't feel like packing up. I snatched this sad fellow and finally gave him a quick repaint as a Rock Golem great warbeast. 1996 Hercules Happy Meal Toy.

My other son bought me a Reaper Skeletal Behemoth that also got finished off as he's been constantly asking me when I was going to start/finish it.

And lastly, the out of print Zvezda Elven Flying Cavalry. I'm still hunting some of those Zvezda kits so if you happen to have some your never planning to paint, hit me up, I'm looking for elves, orcs, and zombies.

The flying elven warriors really put the painting block on me for a long time. I just cleared my head this weekend and FINALLY found my groove with painting them. Time of pics I'm getting ready to seal them and then mount them on their flying bases. More pics once they're 100% done up.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 03:55:29 PM by TwoGunBob »

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
nice job all round, really like that Skeletal Behemoth
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Lovely painting, some really great looking work. :)

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
I REALLY need to get back in the groove as the camera/phone combo has made me lazy about cropping and editing pics. The elves are sealed and based on their respective flying stands to take flight in the next game of Dragon Rampant.

Really need to start concentrating on the photography again but I'm still kind of bummed about all those broken images out there from photobucket and the damage that did to the sharing of the hobby. I know, get up, get over it, and start sharing again like you mean it, right?

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
Re: Zvezda Stuff Dragon Rampant and some Dollar Tree stuff, Reaper, etc.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 03:55:07 PM »
And the Zvevda madeness continues. So many Cursed Legion and Royal Infantry models and finally Dragon Rampant came along and inspired me to dig deep and put them all together and paint them. My mother bought me these for my birthday back in 2003 and I'm glad to finally have them nearing completion.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find any of the Zvevda Royal Cavalry so I'm using Warlord Pike and Shotte horsemen for lack of any others available that I was able to locate. Anyone that might be setting on some of those Royal Cav models, I'd certainly be more than willing to pay to take them off your hands. As always, still looking for Zvezda Orcs (again especially cavalry) and Elf infantry.

More pics as continue working.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 03:56:57 PM by TwoGunBob »

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 03:49:12 PM »
Work continues. The Zvezda Royal Infantry come to a close. The catapults are mostly wrapped. I noticed a couple touch ups needed when taking the photos. The cavalry by Warlord has it's first lick of paint and the steam tank by Ramshackle Games gets its first color blocking to get an idea how the paint scheme is going to work. Also fooling around with the hot glue and floral wire trees method that I came across on the internet. It's just nice to finally have some real forward momentum going on.

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 04:38:34 PM »
And even more work runs as I top the Royal Infantry with a Reaper Bones Kyra model to act as a Greater Warbeast and leader of the soldiers.

Still a bit of work to be done, but I'm almost there. Honestly the model is wearing me out at this point. Just can't seem to get it any 'righter' and almost seem to be doing more bad than good at this point.

Offline pancakeonions

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 06:52:55 PM »
Excellent stuff!  What is that wild looking tank vehicle thingie??

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »
Oh wow, I did finish that as well.

The steam tank is a 'Brass Coffin' by Curtis of Ramshackle Games.

http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?id_product=221&id_product_attribute=0&rewrite=plant-blank&controller=product

Can't recommend dealing with Curtis enough. Top notch guy that takes care of his customers.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 07:26:36 AM »
Nice! That is a really cool and coherent force you're building there. Almost too many minis for Dragon Rampant already, I reckon... ;)

So far I've really liked Zvezda products; the 1/100 tanks are perfect for FoW and Tanks! and I remember an absolutely awesome Baronial style building (by Hammers?) on LAF many years ago made with OOP Zvezda castle parts.

I even tried to acquire the required Zvezda kits to make a similar building, but even then, those kits were very hard to come by and in the end I got ripped off royally by a Spanish web store that claimed to have them, then after payment suddenly didn't and despite many attempts to contact and claim, my moneys were gone...

But that's beside the point of course! lol

So back to your painting; you've certainly taken the motto on your mug to heart: that's a lot of purple alright... ;)

How do you combine the human sized Zvezda minis with those from Reaper? Aren't the Zvezda minis more like 20mm?

Keep it up; this is a great project, which I will be watching with interest. :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline MachinaMandala

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 07:29:41 AM »
That skeletal scorpion is excellent. Shame we don't have any big £1 places in the UK anymore. It'd fit perfectly with the TK. :o

I really like the paintjob on the bone giant too.

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 02:51:48 PM »
The Zvezda figures are from the now defunct Ring of Rule game that went out of production in 2006. It was an attempt to get in on the Warhammer thing so Zvezda did that line in 28mm (more or less) for a brief period. The kits ended up in model railroad shops mostly it seemed, were a bit pricey at the time, and the Undead Roman skeletons were made up of so many parts the models got middling to bad reputation.
I'm still looking for Elven Infantry, Orcish Calvary, and zombies from the line but haven't turned up any so far.

The dollar stores are awesome at Halloween. All kinds of giant insects and skeletons for terrain projects. Did the Poundland stores call it quits?

Offline MachinaMandala

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 06:57:23 PM »
Poundland needs to be renamed to £2land in the UK now. lol

And the selection is shockingly bad. I don't know what happened to the era of junky toys, but it seems to have died a death in the UK.

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 01:17:18 PM »
I bought the Zvezda skeletons, thinking roman undead were a great idea ... and yeah, they were fiddly.  Really fiddly.  Glue feet to shin, glue shin to knee, etc.  Shoulders were separate from arms, etc.  Think I still have some on the sprue somewhere.  Also bought a kit of the orks, and ... well, they are still popping around too.

I never found more than a box or two over here, and most people thought I was making it up when I told them a company made undead Romans.

Will look and see if I can find my spares and see what we can work out.  Shipping from the US might be an issue, though.

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 02:01:41 PM »
The Undead Romans are unique but you're absolutely right. All those parts and bits and bobs and they have almost zero dynamic posing possibilities. Pilum raised, pilum at rest. Leg,shin, foot pieces and you get one foot raised or flat on the ground.

I mean, I did feel good when I finished them and it certainly is a unique army for Dragon Rampant, but wow, if they'd done up an easier to assemble kit Ring of Rule might not have collapsed so quickly.