Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:30:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686500
  • Total Topics: 118104
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone have the Citadel Painting Handle?  (Read 6247 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Anyone have the Citadel Painting Handle?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2019, 09:36:13 AM »

Has anyone tried that thing on something other than GW plastic bases? How's the grip?

The jaws are shaped to accomodate a slotta base - / \ sort of thing, I think partly to counter the pushing up effect of the jaws as they close. I have had problems with figures with straight edged bases popping out when I was applying pressure (I use the handle to hold figures I'm converting, rather than for painting)

All I did was blutak the straight base to a slottabase and it fixed the problem. I would recommend that approach if you're trying to use it to hold corks as well.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2019, 09:56:04 AM »
I have never really gotten the point of these painthandles. But then again I don't paint miniatures for competitions.
In my mind it is just some extra needless gear. In the same way that there are two types of people running in the woods. Those in full lycra spandex suits with bandoleers of water bottles and a pulse monitor. And then there a those guys who just run in some ragged old shorts and a t-shirt.

I have used the Hammers Industries CorkMeister 2000 System since before it was cool. And it has never let me down. I do drink a lot of wine so I have a good stock of corks and usually paint 10-20 minis at a time.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2019, 11:44:24 AM »
I have never really gotten the point of these painthandles. But then again I don't paint miniatures for competitions.
In my mind it is just some extra needless gear. In the same way that there are two types of people running in the woods. Those in full lycra spandex suits with bandoleers of water bottles and a pulse monitor. And then there a those guys who just run in some ragged old shorts and a t-shirt.

I have used the Hammers Industries CorkMeister 2000 System since before it was cool. And it has never let me down. I do drink a lot of wine so I have a good stock of corks and usually paint 10-20 minis at a time.

Good man. :)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2019, 12:13:43 PM »
I just glue figures temporarily to a bit of scrap card.
This works fine even if you are painting a batch of 50 or more figures at once.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2019, 03:13:53 PM »

I got a Citadel handle after trying corks (over the last 12-18 months) and I find the handle far more convenient. Just pop the base into the spring-loaded holder and paint away. Find it easier than faffing about with blue-tac trying to get figures to stay attached.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2019, 09:49:27 PM »
I also used corks before but I had always problems with sticking the figures to them with blutac. Especially metal ones. I probably used the wrong corks lol
I bought the Citadel handle when it were released and I love it. It provides a nice, comfortable grip and I can hold the figure in much more angles steadily than just holding the base of the figure.
I originally bought two, but I have ten now.  :D I usually paint at least five figures at a time, and it was annoying changing them in the handles.

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 08:26:33 PM »
Since I really only paint individual miniatures these days (no batch painting, in other words), and since I've never been happy with the old "blue-tac and a cork" system (which only did one thing consistently for me - let the miniature fall to the ground, usually at the worst possible moment), I picked up one of the GW painting handles a few months ago to give it a whirl.
Long story short - I find it excellent. The handle is chunky, so I don't cramp up holding it in my hand. It holds the miniature firmly, with no wobbling or shifting. It's easy to switch miniatures into and out of it. I now have two of them, and will probably get another couple in the coming months. Love 'em!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 09:03:32 PM »

Don't look now but some kids are on your lawn

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2019, 08:01:32 AM »
Dang kids!! >:(

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2019, 08:22:32 AM »
I currently have a pledge for the Red Grass miniature holder. It basically does the same thing as what I am using now (big Vallejo bottles with blue tack), but then better.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1061749597/rgg-360-the-best-ergonomic-handle-for-miniature-pa/description

And not expensive. I also have their wet palettes and they are absolutely fantastic. So that made the pledge even easier :)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2019, 02:37:12 PM »
Dang kids!! >:(

At least they are dressed appropriately.  :)

What sold the GW handle for me was that size of the grip. I've tried using corks in the past (and I have a few handy for things that don't fit onto the GW handles) but the size of them causes my hand to cramp. I don't have that issue with the GW ones. I also eventually picked up ten so I can do whole units at a time and I suspect that I wouldn't have painted a fraction of what I did last year without them.

Now I am a bit of a special case but really whatever works for you and helps you in your hobby...

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2019, 09:08:54 AM »
Yet another KS for a painting handle - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iscreamart/the-complete-holders-for-miniature-painting-by-i-s?ref=discovery

Comments on the Reaper forum about how useful the light would be, as it does seem as if it would cast shadows over where you're trying to paint.

It seems to suggest automatic controls for rotation. If that's the case, I forsee a lot of miniatures with a stripe around their middle lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2019, 09:16:55 AM »
I am sorry, but what a complete fullfilment of a  non-existing need.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2019, 09:24:43 AM »
I am sorry, but what a complete fullfilment of a non-existing need.

lol
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:29:22 AM by Hammers »
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2019, 11:53:31 AM »
I am sorry, but what a complete fullfilment of a non-existing need.

They're looking for £16,200 and so far have £742, so I don't think you're the only one who thinks that :D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:59:29 AM by Hammers »