Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:50:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Reomendation for Rules for the Scanian Wars.  (Read 1456 times)

Offline mbrien

• Bookworm
Reomendation for Rules for the Scanian Wars.
« on: November 13, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »
Hi All,

I am looking for a good set of rules that will allow me to refight the battles of the Scanian Wars. The scale I plan to use is 2mm miniatures with a stand of infantry representing 1 battalion. and a Cavalry stands representing 1 squadron of Cav.  What do you all suggest?

Thank you in advance!

Offline WFGamers

• Librarian
Re: Reomendation for Rules for the Scanian Wars.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:20:39 PM »
Hi,

As no one has replied I thought I would mention a possible solution. We use a set called 'Twilight of the Sun King' (http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/resources/C18/Twilight/ToSK.htm) which is for 1680-1720 and an upcoming coming companion set, called Twilight of Divine Right, covering the period 1620-1680. We are using 2mm figures to do the ECW and TYW using the 2nd set.

These sets are aimed at large battles and a stand is (or can be) a regiment of infantry of around 1000 men (i.e. about 2 battalions) or a group of cavalry squadrons of around 500 men. This is not exactly what you asked for but either rules would work for this war I think  - the main problem is the battles of the Scanian War are quite small for this set. I know that some have scaled down the units to 1 battalion per stand (i.e. 500 infantry or 250 cavalry per stand) but I have not. I think this would work but as I haven't tried it I can't be sure.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 04:43:02 PM »
Could you use Beneath The Lily Banners? Although not specifically for that conflict I think it does the time period.

Offline mbrien

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 09:51:53 AM »
Thank you! I will keep an eye out for when the companion set comes out and then I think I will go with Twilight of the Sun King. For your regiments how are you basing them? can you shoot me a picture?

Thank you for the info.

Hi,

As no one has replied I thought I would mention a possible solution. We use a set called 'Twilight of the Sun King' (http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/resources/C18/Twilight/ToSK.htm) which is for 1680-1720 and an upcoming coming companion set, called Twilight of Divine Right, covering the period 1620-1680. We are using 2mm figures to do the ECW and TYW using the 2nd set.

These sets are aimed at large battles and a stand is (or can be) a regiment of infantry of around 1000 men (i.e. about 2 battalions) or a group of cavalry squadrons of around 500 men. This is not exactly what you asked for but either rules would work for this war I think  - the main problem is the battles of the Scanian War are quite small for this set. I know that some have scaled down the units to 1 battalion per stand (i.e. 500 infantry or 250 cavalry per stand) but I have not. I think this would work but as I haven't tried it I can't be sure.

Offline WFGamers

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 12:54:46 PM »
Thank you! I will keep an eye out for when the companion set comes out and then I think I will go with Twilight of the Sun King.

OK. Hopefully the ToDR rules will be out circa March next year. I talked to a friend of mine and he thinks that the current Twilight of the Sun king rules might also work - the Scanian War being near the divide between the two. He knows more about the war than I do but again hasn't actually done it.

For your regiments how are you basing them? can you shoot me a picture?

Thank you for the info.

I am using the Irregular figures and making units by combining separate pike and shot blocks to make a unit. Rather than using the single piece combined blocks. I use mainly BG31 from the Horse and Musket range & RBG9 from the Renaissance range. I cut/file them down and combine them into appropriate units. So I used 2 shot and 1 pike block to make a classic ECW style unit, 3 shot for a musket only unit, extra blocks to represent the deeper TYW units, etc.

As you will see I have generally put 2 'units' on a base (120mm frontage). I think if I was doing what you intend I would use 6 blocks per unit with one unit on the same bases.

Here are some shots of some of the various infantry types. Using the 1st photo the front line are command and artillery. The 2nd line Swedish brigade and TYW tercio. 3rd line an all musket unit and a standard ECW type. 4th line a unit of combined commanded shot and an ECW type unit with the advancing pikes.

Here are some shots of some of the various cavalry types.

I hope this helps.

Offline mbrien

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 07:57:48 PM »
Thank you for the awesome pictures!! Your miniatures look great. I will look into getting the Twilight of the Sun king rules and see if they will work out for the Scanian War.  You mention using 6 blocks for one battalion in the scale and the units I am trying to represent. Would that be 4 blocks of BG31 and 2 blocks of RBG9 on a 120mm front base?  I am sure to have more questions as I get started on this project.

Thank you again!

Offline WFGamers

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 09:21:06 PM »
OK on the rules. Yes the miniatures are great and look very effective en masse.

Yes something like 4 and 2 blocks on a big base. I had thought to vary the mix to represent different unit types. This was for the earlier ECW/TYW era so 0 to 3 pikes in a unit and the rest shot. I am very tempted to 'upgrade' the units in the pictures to double the number of blocks I have at the moment.

A block is circa 11mm wide so you could in fact use more blocks on a 120mm frontage or use 6 blocks on say 80 or 100mm. The rules use the idea of ranges/movement/etc based on multiples of half the base front so basing can be whatever you like. I never got round to doing it but I would probably get some blocks and try them on different bases.

Good luck and happy to have helped.

Offline mbrien

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 03:04:20 PM »
Hi again, Well I finally painted up my first Battalion of 2mm Swedish for the Scanian War.  Here is a picture https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6HOmQ_m7FKI/WomtW33syXI/AAAAAAAAGdA/h25IrafY3PkhFiwXEyXVNCHq50afJWA5wCLcBGAs/s1600/IMG_E1111.JPG  I went with 60 x 30 cm bases as I will use a set of rules that are under development and I am used to using these size bases with my other projects.

Offline WFGamers

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 06:00:37 PM »
Nice work :)