Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:15:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: TheBlackCrane's Mexican Adventure: *New pics 27/05/19* - Buildings!  (Read 8220 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
*Updated 27/05/19 with some buildings, see page 3!*

A variety of pictures of my Mexican Adventure figures, as and when I finish them and get photos taken. Unfortunately my photograph skills are fairly woeful, so I'm not sure I really do any of the figures justice. However, comments and such forth are always welcome!

My collection thus far is made up, predicatably, of Gringo 40s lovely Maximillian range, supplemented by Foundry Mexicans, also nice figures but much smaller. They won't mix, but they'll do in seperate units.

The Contra-Guerillas - Gringo 40s

The Belgian Legion - Gringo 40s

The Austrian Legion - Gringo 40s

I have Ottomans and Foreign Legion still to paint - hopefully early next year, but a bunch more pictures to put up too. I'm hoping Ged is going to add to the range as there is plenty more potential, not least Imperial Mexicans!

More to follow... comments, criticism, advice on a. painting faces so they don't come out as zombies and b. photography are always welcome!

Cheers

Rob
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 12:11:43 PM by TheBlackCrane »

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
Re: TheBlackCrane's Maximillian Adventure...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 11:38:33 AM »
Very nice  :)
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
TheBlackCrane's Mexican Adventure: Updated 22/12 - Baggage
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 05:07:34 PM »
A few pictures of the baggage train!

Warbases Ammunition Wagon

Warbases Engineer's Cart with load

Gringo 40s Contra-Guerilla Pack Mule

Warlord Games Mule Train (with a modified drover)

As ever, comments, suggestions (as I'd love to be able to paint this lot better!) more than welcome  :D

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Well painted.
I like them a lot.
What rules do you plan to use?
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Very nicely painted :-* :-* :-*

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Gringo sculpts are superb and your painting enhances and shows their full beauty!
But the Contra-Guerilla leader is all the money!  :-* :-* :-*
If you could, please, take some close ups!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Super work, lovely painted minis, and they are lovely figures too! :)

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Oustanding..I have thoses exact figures painted...Great job.

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
A.Nik-

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
An exotic place, cool uniforms and very nice painted miniatures!

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
theblackcrane..superb set up..................and great pictures
I will be expanding this range hopefully in 2018..i have some
units in mind ;)

cheers
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
Excellent work!!!! ;)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
Thanks for the kind words all, more pics to follow next week after Christmas.
I've had to put my brushes away, but the crates/barrels (I hestitate to call it scenery as it's just there as a bit of backdrop until I free up some storage space) etc are still in place so hopefully I might get a chance to sit a few more figures in front of them and take a few more photos.

What rules do you plan to use?

Primarily Sharp Practice 2 - generally my units are in 8s or 16s for SP2 groups, (or groups of 6/10 etc out of those).

I've downloaded the Maximilian list, although making my own forces rather than those listed as, generally, for units like the French and the Imperialist Mexicans there aren't the figures available. Gringos have Foreign Legion but I'd love to see more French in the range, and Foundry have Imperials but in packs all of one pose and I like variety in my units at this scale, especially when it's skirmish-level.

For smaller 1-1 skirmishes I have and have read through A Fistful of Lead - Horse and Musket, although I also have Brink of Battle, but I haven't used either yet.

If you could, please, take some close ups!

I can try! But close-ups show up the flaws in the painting!  lol

I will be expanding this range hopefully in 2018..i have some
units in mind ;)

Jolly good! Otherwise I'll have to send you more emails "suggesting" expansions to the range...  :D

Merry Christmas all!

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
Re: TheBlackCrane's Mexican Adventure: Comparison pictures 02/02
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 04:13:00 PM »
Update 02/02 - Comparisons

It's been a bit longer than I intended what with one thing and another, but next up in this occasional gallery (!) are some comparison shots of various figures. I've not really been able to find many which put Gringos up against the Foundry range, so why not do it myself! :D

L-R: Foundry (OW164) ; Gringo Belgian Officer ; Foundry (OW167) ; Gringo Republican ; Foundry (OW 162) ; Gringo Republican in Shako

The Foundry are in their Old West (OW) range, I haven't got any of their specific Maximilian range yet but I'm imagine they'll be similar size. The figures themselves are fine, some very nice, but obviously size-wise they don't match up at all with Gringo. Whether it's the case for all the packs I don't yet know but they're very much best used in different units.

On the left the mounted officer from Foundry pack OW167, and on the a mounted Republican from Gringo

Left - pack mule from Warlord Games, and Right - pack mule from Gringo

So, lots of mix and match and not a lot of comparability, but in the end in a game it doesn't make too much of a difference really, and each of the ranges has got something to offer for the Mexican Adventure. I'll certainly be getting Foundry's Emperor's Battalion and Imperial infantry and finding some of their other figures to give the units a bit of variety (unless Ged brings out Imperial infantry and some command first!)  :D

More will follow!

As ever thoughts, suggestions etc more than welcome.

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
Re: TheBlackCrane's Mexican Adventure: New pics 02/02 - Comparison pictures
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 05:13:22 PM »
Very nice my friend 👍