Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:57:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: TheBlackCrane's Mexican Adventure: *New pics 27/05/19* - Buildings!  (Read 8211 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: TheBlackCrane's Mexican Adventure: New pics 02/02 - Comparison pictures
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 07:13:42 PM »
Thank you for sharing your comparison pictures, eager to see your figures in your next game!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 01:08:15 AM »
If I'm remembering correctly the Foundry  "French Foreign Legion or filibusters" packs that are supposed to be the characters from Camerone are a bit bigger and chunkier than  the rest of the line. So they might fit in better with the Gringos.
Pete

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 03:23:30 AM »
Great pictures..beautiful work,That;s what I did ,I have Foundry units and Gringo units..and it works fine.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 11:14:42 AM »
Thank you for sharing your comparison pictures, eager to see your figures in your next game!

Oh, a game! Few and far between I'm afraid, and lots of bits and pieces in storage at the moment. I have almost got enough units and such done for a decent game though, so if I sort out terrain I might be just about there eventually!  :D

If I'm remembering correctly the Foundry  "French Foreign Legion or filibusters" packs that are supposed to be the characters from Camerone are a bit bigger and chunkier than  the rest of the line. So they might fit in better with the Gringos.

Yes - I seem to recall reading something about that too - next plan is to get a sample of those and a sample of the actual Maximillian range now that it's been re-released, rather than the Mexicans I have which are from the Old West Range. I don't mind having some Foundry and some Gringo units, but as you can see from the pics it reaches a point where it does look a little bit silly!

Offline MartinD

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 07:00:19 PM »
Hi all. Great minis, a project close to my heart.

Anyway, regarding the Foundry Foreign Legion Filibusters - I have quite a few, and they are indeed larger than the recently re-released Maximillian range. I think they'd be a good fit with Gringo40s -

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
A few more pictures, painted a little bit ago but only now being posted. I'm getting to a point where I have enough on both sides for a decent Sharp Practice game; all I need to do now is get cracking on getting some coherent terrain together!

First up, some more 'volunteers' for the Imperial cause - both of which made appearances in the latest LPL too.

French Foreign Legion (Gringo40s)

And the Sudanese/Egyptian Battalion (lifted straight from my LPL entry I'm afraid, so the picture isn't great:
Also Gringo40s, although I wonder whether a different sculptor - they seemed much thinner and more perpendicular (if that makes sense!) than the others in the range. Still look good painted up though!

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
Next up - Republican irregular lancers:

These are all from Gringo too - but I've modified a few of them, which I explain below. First up, the whole unit:

So, the unit is made up of Gringos regular lancers and irregular lancers - but, as I wanted a bit more variety, I've done a bit of surgery on them. The chap front centre with the sword is the Regular Officer from his range, but instead of the sideways head and sword straight up (see my earlier pic of Republican Cavalry) I chopped his head off and turned it straight, then pinned it back in and built up a high collar with greenstuff. I also removed the sword arm and turned it so the sword is forward and flatter, again liquid and solid greenstuff to fill in the resultant gaps.

I also changed a few of the others:

In the picture above, the figure in the centre is the 'standard' figure from Gringo. These three are all that figure, but on the left I removed the arm and turned it so the lance was held more aloft, and in the figure on the right again removed the arm then pinned back in to have the lance more angled forward. Only slight changes, but they really make a difference to the look of the figures I think.

Finally, here we have the standard figure on the right, and on the left the lance arm removed, turned and pinned back. Again a very slight alteration, but added to the variety in horse helps to make the irregular lancer unit look, well, irregular!

Plans for more units - more from Foundry to flesh out the Imperials, even if they do look rather miniature compared to Gringo, and having seen his announcement on new Republican infantry will definitely acquire some of those, I'm hoping they will include some command/officer types amongst them.

Oh, and of course, I need to build some terrain!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Gorgeous and very well-painted! Horses and riders! Well done! Cheers!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Oh yes! Top stuff. All nice to see, but I especially like the lancers.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Great stuff, especially the lancers. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Very nice  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
Very nice collection,I especially like your conversions.
Mark

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
very nice work indeed Rob :D :-* :D

there will be other additions apart from the
Mexican republicans....

cheers
Ged
www.gringo40s.com

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Very nice.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
Thanks for the kind words all. I think the next plan will be to start focussing on getting more coherent terrain together. Maybe at Colours making a beeline for some of Charlie Foxtrot's Pantile range!

there will be other additions apart from the
Mexican republicans....

Excellent - care to give us any clues as to what? (Artillery? Command? Imperials?  :D)