Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:54:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689255
  • Total Topics: 118266
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Silent Butte (FfOL): UD 29/5 a very small game  (Read 29160 times)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: FfOL - UD 22/11 - cantina now built (p5)
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2017, 11:03:22 PM »
Thanks for the breakdown Steve.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2017, 01:01:51 AM »
The cantina is looking good, the surface finish looks very realistic.

Not too appear too dense but does the talc just act as a thickening agent for the glue to stop it running, or does it provide texture as well?
Cheers

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2017, 01:53:51 AM »
Thanks.

In answer to your question Vagabond, sort of both.  :D

The talc acts as a thickening agent turning the glue into something more akin to a filler. So it stops the glue running but the combination can also fill gaps, while leaving a surface texture that is irregular (by which I mean that a wall does not appear as if finished flat by a master craftsman but instead has shallow dips and rises suggestive of sloppier workmanship,  repairs on repairs, and maybe some movement within the wall). The underlying plaster has quite a gritty finish because it is applied by finger, not smoothed on with a trowel; I don’t sand it because I don’t want the wall surface to be level (instead I scrape and carve to tidy it up). The mix in itself doesn’t feel gritty when wet but when it dries it does have something of a texture, partly from some of the grittiness of the underlying plaster showing through but perhaps also from very small globules of accumulated talc. The important thing is that the finished result is much smoother than the raw plaster.

The approach is what I like to do. If anyone else is interested I really would encourage experimentation on a bit of scrap.  :)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Elstree

• Student
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2017, 03:20:06 PM »
And it’s built:

La Mala Cantina

Wouldn't "La Cantina de los Malos" be more accurate?

Great looking model!

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2017, 03:52:04 PM »
Thank you

Wouldn't "La Cantina de los Malos" be more accurate?

Yes but it’s a sneaky tease of my gaming buddy Malamute.  ;)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2017, 11:51:37 PM »
Thanks.

In answer to your question Vagabond, sort of both.  :D

The talc acts as a thickening agent turning the glue into something more akin to a filler. So it stops the glue running but the combination can also fill gaps, while leaving a surface texture that is irregular (by which I mean that a wall does not appear as if finished flat by a master craftsman but instead has shallow dips and rises suggestive of sloppier workmanship,  repairs on repairs, and maybe some movement within the wall). The underlying plaster has quite a gritty finish because it is applied by finger, not smoothed on with a trowel; I don’t sand it because I don’t want the wall surface to be level (instead I scrape and carve to tidy it up). The mix in itself doesn’t feel gritty when wet but when it dries it does have something of a texture, partly from some of the grittiness of the underlying plaster showing through but perhaps also from very small globules of accumulated talc. The important thing is that the finished result is much smoother than the raw plaster.

The approach is what I like to do. If anyone else is interested I really would encourage experimentavtion on a bit of scrap.  :)

Thanks for the info, appreciate you taking the time. Recently I saw an old post of Cptn Blood WWll N Africa game using your terrain, must say it's very very good. I especially liked the way the buildings blended with the ground colour.

I have tried to get this puddled look for Adobe/daube using rough watercolour paper but wasn't very happy with the result, this looks better.

You refer to soft plaster rather than hard filler, is this the powder tetrion/polyfiller mixed with water or are you using something else?
Presumably you will post this painted, I would be interested to see how you do it.
Cheers

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2017, 12:39:55 AM »
Thanks  :)

The desert terrain used slightly different techniques/paints but I will post up the painted cantina here. The Okd West terrain will be coloured to match my Peninsular War project as I am flitting  between the two.

The soft plaster will need sealing otherwise it will break up with handling. For a more robust hard filler finish, check out the recent Presidio build by Malamute. I prefer the soft plaster as I find it easier to work after it has cured: it’s just a matter of personal choice (or what is to hand  ;)). BTW, I apply the plaster by hand onto wet glue, so it won’t detach from the foamboard. This is what I use:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 12:43:33 AM by Silent Invader »

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2017, 07:28:23 AM »
Thanks again.

Yes I have seen Monsieur Malamutes builds and have many of the photos saved also for reference. He tends to go for much grander designs than I envision. My town will be more a small collection of hovels there will be no Presido maybe not even a second story building.
More like the clapboard town I posted lower down on this board [url]http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=101266.60/[url]  on page 5
Cheers
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 07:35:34 AM by Vagabond »

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2017, 08:09:23 AM »
I’ve been following your ‘town’ thread: it’s very, very nice (lots and lots of inspiration).

I’m a bit torn about mixing adobe and clapboard buildings for mine. I’d really like to but can’t think of any movie sets that did the same (movies count as research  :D).

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2017, 08:21:16 AM »
I’ve been following your ‘town’ thread: it’s very, very nice (lots and lots of inspiration).

I’m a bit torn about mixing adobe and clapboard buildings for mine. I’d really like to but can’t think of any movie sets that did the same (movies count as research  :D).

I can. :D

Rio Bravo, has a clapboard town with an adobe Mexican quarter. (But you wouldnt be familiar with that one, not being a fan of the Duke ;) lol)

When I get around to making some clapboards I will combine the two for Arizona/New Mexico/South Texas. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2017, 08:28:29 AM »
I can. :D

Rio Bravo, has a clapboard town with an adobe Mexican quarter. (But you wouldnt be familiar with that one, not being a fan of the Duke ;) lol)

When I get around to making some clapboards I will combine the two for Arizona/New Mexico/South Texas. ;D

I shall fight my John Wayne aversion and check out Rio Bravo  :D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2017, 08:35:55 AM »
I shall fight my John Wayne aversion and check out Rio Bravo  :D

And I will add some adode to my crapboard.
 ;D

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2017, 08:37:20 AM »
And I will add some adode to my crapboard.
 ;D

It’s an infectious disease, isn’t it  ;) :D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2017, 08:42:40 AM »
It’s an infectious disease, isn’t it  ;) :D

That is a bit of a harsh way to describe Mama....but I guess you are right.
 ;D ;)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2017, 08:57:17 AM »
That is a bit of a harsh way to describe Mama....but I guess you are right.
 ;D ;)

:D