Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:11:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mad Maximillian 1934 WIP - British Fighter Ace added 19 Jan 2018  (Read 8403 times)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mad Maximillian 1934 WIP - The Red Eagle completed 03 DEC 2017
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 10:41:03 PM »
The Beast of Turin :-*

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2017, 08:00:38 PM »
Such an inspiring thread. :o
 Who else produces 28mm drivers? I've looked up Copplestone (pilot types) and 1st Corps. Anyone I've missed?

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2017, 10:02:58 PM »
Hi General
Have you looked at Empress (Spanish Civil War range in their vehicles section) and Sloppy Jalopy?
All the best
GDonk

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2017, 10:13:53 PM »
Such an inspiring thread. :o
 Who else produces 28mm drivers? I've looked up Copplestone (pilot types) and 1st Corps. Anyone I've missed?

Blue Moon make some 1930's style drivers/passengers that I'd recommend. And they have some cool Police drive/passengers.

And Pulp Alley has a couple that Pilots/Drivers that I like as well --- http://store.pulpalley.com/product-p/1460.htm

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2017, 11:38:44 AM »
Hi

I see you're using Brumm 1/43 diecasts - does this mean that Nic's mini's are also of that sort of proportion/scale? I've been collecting up a few 1/50 'ish diecasts on evil-bay, assuming that the MM1934 driver/passenger mini's would slot in, but am now wondering if I should have gone more "heroic" in my scale choice. I usually find 1/43 to be too big for my liking with 28's and 1/56 "true scale" too small so generally head for 1/48-1/50 or thereabouts.
Any feedback, from anyone, welcome
Cheers
G-Donk

I've found that some of the diecast cars I've bought tend to be made to "fit the box" rather than be 100% to scale. Unfortunately they can be a little hit or miss ( some Models of Yesteryear cars are huge and don't look right) whilst others look spot on. I've been concentrating on the racing/roadster types which you can get away with ( with some artistic licence) so the scale isn't too much of an issue. Although I haven't used a Eureka Miniatures driver in any of my builds so far, I have used one for reference and it fits perfectly in the two cars I've built. 1/48 scale would be fine, but unfortunately I haven't got any 1/56 for reference ( although I have a 1st Corps roadster with a female driver coming for Christmas).

For driver types their aren't a huge number of options ( the ones I can think of have been mentioned) but the separate driver/gunner packs Eureka do are very nice. Depending on your patience and willingness to cut up 28mm minis you can always try converting some standing minis ( like the one's I have done).

Hopefully I will be making a start on my "Turbo Terrific" this weekend.

Regards
PM

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2017, 01:18:55 PM »
Good lord man !
Don't be wait for my stuff for a scale reference!(everyone knows I just make it up as I go along.😉)

I'll be adding some driver's and passenger sets plus a couple of customizing sets .To the follies range . The should be out in time for York in February.
Vodkafan has kindly set me some pictures to get me started.

I'd second Pappa midnights observations. I'd add if your using vehicles that aren't familiar or everyday ,then you can be a little more flexible with scaling.

Mark.

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
  • A keen eye for the ridiculous
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2017, 10:37:39 PM »
Like all your modelling endeavours, this is very inspiring stuff!
I'll be watching with great interest as I garner the courage to build the lovely models I received recently from Eureka Nic

I was contemplating getting some cheap gloss enamel sprays from the hardware to paint the bodywork and really get a pop, but after seeing these I am not so sure.  Would appreciate any suggestions from the brains trust.

Papa M - you've done it again!  :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:39:27 PM by Tas »

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2017, 07:36:28 PM »
Like all your modelling endeavours, this is very inspiring stuff!
I'll be watching with great interest as I garner the courage to build the lovely models I received recently from Eureka Nic

I was contemplating getting some cheap gloss enamel sprays from the hardware to paint the bodywork and really get a pop, but after seeing these I am not so sure.  Would appreciate any suggestions from the brains trust.

Papa M - you've done it again!  :)

Thanks mate your comments are much appreciated. With regards to gloss enamels for the bodies, it's all down to personal choice but I find gloss paintwork at this scale makes the cars look a little too "toy like". This isn't a bad thing but I feel matt or satin finishes suit the old style look for the period. I haven't got my Eureka models yet but I am looking forward to laying some paint down on them.

I have just finished painting another car. This is another converted Brumm diecast. I just need a vicar/priest driver for it.........

Regards
PM

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mad Maximillian 1934 WIP - Brimstone Special Holy Avenger added 18 DEC 2017
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2017, 12:05:35 AM »
Definitely getting the hang of it.
This ones the best(so far) the weapon system is more sympathetic and flows well with the exhausts.
The lettering works well on a dark field. (windscreen flows much more subtly ,it now looks part of the car rather than a part on the car).

In short I'd be more than happy with it on my table.

Mark.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2017, 12:10:29 AM »
I find gloss paintwork at this scale makes the cars look a little too "toy like".

Agreed, though it depends. I've sourced a lot of toys for my cars and most of them came glossy, but I recoated with a bit of a satin or even matte finish and they look much more the part that way. Early coachwork was only glossy if you could REALLY afford the best - that said, I have one or two cars left glossy with just a tiny bit of light weathering (perhaps from a jaunty motoring in the countryside 'round the estate, wot?), as they are expensive cars - limousines or the like.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2017, 12:18:57 AM »
Beautiful work!  :-*

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2017, 10:05:05 AM »
Some great work on diecast cars for Max 1934 here, would anyone be interested in getting in touch and having your work immortalized in print?

If so, PM me in the first instance.

Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2017, 11:32:58 AM »
Thank you for the comments.I'm still undecided on the driver. I'm seriously contemplating a "Puritan" complete with wide brimmed hat and buckle...

PM

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2017, 12:03:40 PM »
Looks great!
Can I suggest a 'flash guard under the muzzle over the radiator?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2017, 11:51:58 PM »
I'd recommend a Nun, A large white head dress would contrast nicely with the vehicle and would draw your eye along the lettering.I think you'd be unhappy with the puritan figure once you'd put it in the drivers set. It's quite a luxurious looking vehicle. If you'd made a stark and functional looking vehicle then your puritans would look more at home.

Mark