Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:07:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689772
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting the Mtd Knight Josting Lance/Spear  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Captain Gideon

• Librarian
Painting the Mtd Knight Josting Lance/Spear
« on: November 16, 2017, 08:20:11 PM »
I'm still in the process of painting some of my French and English 28mm HYW Armies I needed to ask this.

I know that the Knights used either the Spear or the Josting Lance I need to know what colors might be best for the Josting Lance.

Also should the color of the Lance have anything to do with the colors of the Knight?

For example if a Knight had 2 colors lets say Red and White should the Lance be Red or White?

I also ask this because I have several of my painted Mtd Knights that lost their Lance/Spear and I have some replacements so hence the question.

Just a side note I'm still looking for Mtd Knights so if anyone has any that they don't need please PM me.

Thanks
Michael

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
Re: Painting the Mtd Knight Josting Lance/Spear
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 06:39:32 AM »
The organisers of the joust were responsible for provision of suitable lances, which would be handed to the knight by an armiger when required.

So a painted lance would not necessarily match a knight's livery.

Offline Captain Gideon

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 05:14:27 PM »
Humakt I'm talking about Lances used in Battle and I remember a movie Henry V(the 1944 version) where the French in the film used the Josting type Lances.

I know it may not be accurate but to me it looks better and these type of Lances are what I have for replacements and I plan on using them.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 05:31:34 PM »
Humakt I'm talking about Lances used in Battle and I remember a movie Henry V(the 1944 version) where the French in the film used the Josting type Lances.

I know it may not be accurate but to me it looks better and these type of Lances are what I have for replacements and I plan on using them.

I certainly wouldn't take anything in that movie as historically accurate, fun as it is...

If you want complete historical accuracy, probably best to paint them as plain wood.

But it's your project. If you want to paint them bright colours, go for it!!!  :)

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:25:04 PM »

Ah, got you. Jousting has a very specific meaning, the lances were provided by the organisers and they were meant to break on impact. Hence they had splayed tips that were designed to grip the prime scoring areas, causing the lance the flex, and break.

Lances of war were designed to transfer kinetic energy onto the target, aiding penetration, and not shatter. As Humakt posted, they were considered disposable items - to a degree, but they were more likely acquired by the knight or his commander (knight banneret, for example).

Moreover, shields were also considered disposable and they were highly decorated, so unlike Lances of Peace, it is reasonable to argue that those carried into battle matched the rider's livery.

Offline Captain Gideon

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 02:43:18 AM »
Humakt since the bulk of my Knights(which are painted)already have their Lances whichever one they came with I'm dealing with 5-7 of these Josting type Lances so overall it's not too many since I have over 50 Mounted Knights so the number of Knights with the Josting Type Lance is somewhat small.

Michael