Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:28:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Which book next for Pulp Alley?  (Read 1454 times)

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
Re: Which book next for Pulp Alley?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 09:41:58 PM »
Pulp Leagues all the way.

Offline Gardensnake

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 07:13:19 AM »
Okay,

I followed the overwhelming advice of those who responded and have added Pulp Leagues to my gaming library. I do not regret the decision. So now, I implore the members of the forum here, and repeat my question, what next? I'm thinking the vehicle, gun, and gadget book, but what say you? Is that wise or is another book more recommended?

Thanks,

William
Until such time as Congress stops being a ridiculous farce, comedy is utterly acceptable at their hearings.
Sean Patrick Fannon

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 08:41:45 AM »
Depends on what you're after.

Guns, Cars and Gadgets has exactly what it says on the tin. If you want to expand what a league can field, it's the go-to book.

Both Vice Alley and Perilous Island have campaigns with lots of new scenarios, and the scenarios can easily be used individually if you like. for them if you like. Vice Alley has an urban flavour with rules for NPCs and bystanders and scenarios for urban games or even non-violent games, whereas Perilous Island is more high adventure, with rules for large monsters (Terrors) and "Weird" abilities (though these are also included in Pulp Leagues) and the scenarios have a bit more flexibility.

I'd go with one of the two campaign books, honestly. More scenarios is always good.

Guns gadgets and cars is a bit more of an "advanced" book in that it can make leagues more complicated with more moving parts to manage (not so much that it's a burden or anything, it's just more complex than the base game). But it does have rules for driving cars, flying planes, and so forth. But if you really like the idea of getting your gangs into cars, with high-speed shooting matches between fellows standing on running boards, then maybe you'll go for that after all.

At this point there's no clear "next" book, since it depends on what you'd like to explore first, or what you'd most like to play. Do you want more Doc Savage, more Dick Tracy, or more Biggles?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 11:38:04 AM »
If you're short on regular opponents, Tomb of the Serpent has solo play rules and cards which - social side of gaming aside - offers just as fun an experience of Pulp Alley. It's also got a full campaign system with the pulp-favourite theme of ancient Egyptian gods and curses, which can be played solo, co-operatively or competitively. Throw in the horror rules for good measure, adding another entertaining element to gameplay, and you're all set!

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 03:52:48 PM »
I'd say pulp leagues or tomb of serpent for mostly the same reasons previously mentioned.  But really you can't go wrong no matter what choice you make.