Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:41:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Great Antipodean Adventure  (Read 4978 times)

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
The Great Antipodean Adventure
« on: November 23, 2017, 11:25:46 AM »
Hi All,

Here's my latest skirmish level project, A Rather Violent Australian Civil Disturbance (still trying to nail down the name mind you I like the original idea, The Great Antipodean Adventure). Looking at a 1 to 1 scale for the games and checking out the World Aflame, FUBAR  and TW&T rule sets at the moment.

Given the period I've decided to place my alternate history, 1932 (really at that time Australia would not have been able to maintain much of a full on civil war even if the interest had been there) I'm basing my story around an actual historic event the 'great' constitutional crisis of 1932 where the NSW Governor dismissed the State parliament and called an election (a practice run for the 1970s). I'll weave a story around the unrest caused by that event and armed action between union/fascist/communist/state/federal armed forces...plus Captain Darling will make the crossover from the VSF world to this and feature here and there...anyway it'll all slowly unfold on the blog...

Here's some of the stuff I'm planning on incorporating into the games...

Yep that's an A7V...I will be using only equipment available at the time and given repairs Mephisto was sitting in the Brisbane Museum waiting for a chance to get into it...the Canberra War Memorial had a FT-17 with engine issues and I'm  trying to Determine which of the early Brit made tank model were still here in Australia at the time for refurbishment, other than that my lads will be relying on armoured cars/trucks oh and maybe an old cannon or two...

Part of an unruly mob consisting of members of Ausralasian Engineering Union off to see the NSW Governor after a night out on the terps!

Here's links to what I've done so far!

The great antipodean adventure intro...
http://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au/2017/09/captain-darling-and-great-antipodean.html

the great antipodean adventure rioting...
http://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au/2017/11/the-great-antipodian-adventure-rioting.html

Cheers!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: The Great Antipodean Adventure
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »
Looking good - can't trust those engineers! (Only gripe is that you photos seem too small.)
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »
I'm sure there must've been a Mark IV or V or some such somewhere...  ;) ;) ;)

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 08:23:08 PM »
There were four brand new and perfectly serviceable MKII Mediums, based at Randwick at the time of the Lang dismissal IIRC. I think North Star now carry them or maybe it's Empress, I've lost track.

'Jack Lang- Greater than  Lenin!'  Always fancied painting that as a banner.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 08:58:49 PM »
I'm going to follow this project with interest.

You might be interested in the following range of figures, especially the Victorian State Police
http://eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_862&sort=3a

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 11:55:37 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for the comments!

Hey Carlos yes I have investigated the Vickers Medium Mk II's when I fierst searched I couldn't find one I liked (i.e. not printed) in 1/56...I'll look at North Star and Empress I must have missed them there...the first 10 arrived in Australia in 1927 and we got 37 in total...all in the 1st Tank Section based at Randwick, NSW until late 1930's. I was going to work my scenario's around them as vehicles will appear sparingly anyway...

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:24:03 AM by Captain Darling »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 02:46:27 AM »
I'm a bit dubious about your numbers. Everything I have read suggests that only four Vickers Medium MkII Specials were made and sold to Australia. IIRC a pair went to Victoria to a militia unit.
The only other tanks purchased before the war were MkVI lights which eventually filled out the balance of 1st and 2nd Light Tank Companies but that wasn't until later, no earlier than 1936 from memory.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »
I suspect those details are open to question too. Another vote for four Mk. II* Specials ordered and built in 1929, and delivered in 1930 here, followed by ten Light Mk. VIa in 1936. That the unit was called a 'section' is another give away, if there were so many it would have been called a company, in line with UK practice.

That said, what's the point of following the imaginary route if you can't please yourself as to what you buy?  :)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 07:18:50 PM »
Improvised Armored Vehicles:  Considering the Republicans' answer to Fascist armor in the Spanish Civil War and the presence in Australia of machine shops, it would be very possible for both sides of your Antipodean Adventure to convert civilian trucks and cars into improvised armored vehicles.   

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 08:32:44 PM »
Improvised Armored Vehicles:  Considering the Republicans' answer to Fascist armor in the Spanish Civil War and the presence in Australia of machine shops, it would be very possible for both sides of your Antipodean Adventure to convert civilian trucks and cars into improvised armored vehicles.   

Just as importantly, the presence of railway workshops somecof which had notable casting ability. The Sentinel tank was ultimately the product of a railway workshop. If the Kiwis could produce the Bob Semple tank then there's no reason, given money and time.....Plenty of Holt tractors available.

It's also worth remembering that whilst there was no mass-production automobile industry in Australia in the thirties there were numerous companies, usually former carriage works that assembled cars and made body work before the war, usually from knock down kits but often with considerable innovation, pairing overseas chassis with locally adapted body work.

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 04:08:15 AM »
Thanks all, yes there will be improvised AFVs, recycled civilian vehicles and AFVs etc. this is all about fun and getting the weird and wonderful rolled out hence the FT and A7V  :).
I will be rolling out the (initial) factions over the next week.

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 09:57:53 PM »
Don't forget a lot of people in the countryside still used horses , so mounted infantry /light horse .How about an antipodean version of a tachanka, based on say a horse and gig?

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 11:33:55 AM »
Hi Again!

Thanks for the responses and interest!

Yes some mounted Infantry or Police would be definitely be cool addition! Will have a shop around.

I've posted up my initial Power Blocs...so I have these and a scenario so looks like its time to start the action :) ...

http://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au/2017/12/the-great-antipodean-adventure.html

Cheers!

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
Re: The Great Antipodean Adventure - Figures and Rules
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 01:13:08 PM »
Hi All,

Still plodding along The Great Antipodean Adventure! Put up some information on figures and rules on the blog!

Here's a portion of my citizen fighters..

Some Federal Government Soldiers, WW I figures I bought already painted no idea of the maker but they look okay...

Full update on the blog here...
http://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au/2017/12/the-great-antipodean-adventure-figures.html

Now ready for the first rules play tests with the starter scenario!

Cheers!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 09:58:07 PM »
A nice rabble of miniatures on your blog. Do you plan on building the Governor's House in Sydney (it's a mini castle!) or any other iconic Sydney buildings?