Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:59:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sailing to the Ghost Archipelago - Bloggard's log ...  (Read 21836 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Sailing to the Ghost Archipelago - Bloggard's log ...
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2018, 08:40:42 AM »
righty-o ... time to get some more updates / pics up after actually having had a game couple of weekends back  :)

first off, here's my 'super-flexible' (tm) interiors board ... otherwise known as another advert for B&Q's cheapest insulation boards ...

best bit is the Ceri designs flagstones mat - can't remember now why I'd cut it into this irregular shape, thus decreasing its usefulness but there you go ...  :D

so ... it revolves around cutting up strips of the insulation board and gluing pins into the bottom of the resulting pieces. Reality check in terms of my modelling prowess in that, try as I might, I couldn't cut the pieces squarely and into exactly uniform sizes, but I'll have to go with it adding to the rustic charm of ruined antiquity.

the insulation board au naturel really doesn't look bad at all for temple walls etc - again, thought I was going to have to titivate it, but think it's fine as is.

'It'll do' (tm)

ironically we didnt' get to actually go into the main temple, but looking foward to doing so next time.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 08:51:06 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2018, 09:46:36 AM »
a few pics from the game set-up, but not actually from the gaming session as mixed-lighting and circumstance resulted in a load of pics which would take too much mucking about with to be worth it ... even with these there's still a heck of a lot more RAW adjustment than I'd like - really admire those that get good pics OOC...

anyhow:

dawn breaks over the ghost archipelago and all seems peaceful (translation: this pic shows the yellow-y cast produced by the 'works' lamps [Argos's finest - basically get the feeling they're going to burn the place down the moment your back is turned ...] I was using and decided not to bother 'correcting' for this pic ...)

a crewmember encounters a 'swamp-zombie boss' (for which I haven't done stats yet and which didn't feature in the game) which was pootling around trying ... to find a swamp...

exiles from a another gaming universe kindly agree to fill-in for 'snakemen' and 'spirit warriors' respectively
in terms of narrative, the GW seraphon (together with some other more recent releases) are going to my main 'antagonistic' civilisation in the isles, while the northstar snakemen are just going to be part of general crews.
the dryads are the spirit warriors.

'as night drew on at the wedding reception, things started to get nasty ...'
this scene is actually (almost) from our game: couple of lizardmen came out of the temple, and let's just say the 'pushback' rule came forcefully into play ...

'sir' neville maycare and windy mere engage in some stinging repartee with unwelcoming locals ...

hannibal magnetism and a souldweller engage in a dance-off, while stumpy stoggins looks on ruefully, his jigging-about days long behind him ...

in general Chris and I had a long (5hrs) and fun session with the game, although nowhere near finishing (other than the fact that crew-members [mine in particular] were dropping like flies).
Was Chris's first go with the rules (and he's a hugely experienced gamer, both rpg and table-top) and while they were a little simplistic for his tastes, he could see where I'm trying to go with it in terms of a narrative driven, rpg-lite, table-top game.

I get the feeling that I'm going to end up effectively being a GM in order to control and introduce narrative contents and events more effectively, with other players being 'against the environment' principally (poor-mans Bogdanwaz approach
 ultimately).

aesthetically I guess these pics show that my approach to terrain is definitely best at 'gaming distance' (i.e. the first pic in this post) rather than close-ups, but I'm still happy enough with it overall and feel it's a solid foundation.

onwards ...

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:33:32 AM by Bloggard »

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2018, 10:06:49 AM »
 8) way cool!!!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2018, 07:48:15 AM »
thank'ee mr. Frostfang

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2018, 08:12:21 PM »
That is one awesome looking board, sir! I am also doing as you do, substituting in creatures I have for Snakemen, etc.

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2018, 09:28:44 AM »
thanks Mike!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2018, 09:40:41 AM »
hmm, chuffed.

short (and not particularly helpful, given lack of pics) post after having received a selection of figs from the Alkemy game (from the confusingly spelt Alchemist Miniatures: http://alkemy-the-game.com/shop/).

saw some very nicely painted samples in this thread: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=107021.15 and loved the harryhausen /sinbad vibes filtered through anthropomorphic critters, to the degree that I thought I might want to replace my current crew figures entirely, assuming the Alkemy stuff would be more Rackham in size etc.

But ... a quick comparison, and they seem to be perfectly in scale with the Northstar stuff, so can integrate them, which is good coz they aint cheap.

will get some pics up at some point.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2018, 02:25:53 PM »
I really like the effect you have going on here, even if it is accidental

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2018, 04:39:38 PM »
aye - so do I, the colour cast is enhancing I'd say.

trouble is, it's still 'mixed' lighting (there's daylight here as well), and so difficult to get consistent results.

the ones below it in that post are more 'controlled' using flashes, but look a bit flat ...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 11:30:16 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2018, 07:50:15 PM »
Stunning Terrain. Far too beautiful for serious fighting.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2018, 08:58:19 PM »
thanks ... I think !  ;)

actually, I'm all for non-serious fighting, which is why I play fantasy miniatures games I guess.

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2018, 10:08:36 PM »
I have a dry humour. Next time i use emoticons.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2018, 09:31:47 AM »
I knew what you meant, don't worry.

but my wry-ish response alludes to the fact that I do indeed put the terrain side of things, in terms of evocation etc, before worrying about rules / gameplay etc too much, the irony being that I'm not much of modeller to say the least.

anyhow, did get a game last weekend which I hope to stick some pics up for in due course.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2018, 02:15:29 PM »
couple of pics from our game last weekend (we actually finished this one- and, even more surprisingly, I won - although largely due to my opponent's generosity in reminding me of rules / tactics etc at critical moments ...)

mainly showing off the still darned impressive (to my eye anyway) crushed velvet.
tried to recapture the light / colour shown in a pic above, by using an artificial light WB, but with mixed results again in general. Looks ok in these two.

Mainly some figs Chris brought with him. Limited our 'active' crew to 6 figs as per the small boat rule, although we did leave another 3 (I think) on our main boats to be brought into play one way or another...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:01:37 PM by Bloggard »

Offline Knabe

• Bookworm
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2018, 04:15:12 AM »
Nice looking game Bloggard.

That crushed velvet for t he water looks great.

Knabe