Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:15:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689297
  • Total Topics: 118270
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Good Fiction for Caesar's Gallic Campaign?  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Good Fiction for Caesar's Gallic Campaign?
« on: November 25, 2017, 07:08:10 PM »
Hi All,

I'm trying to get the juices suitably flowing for a Gallic Wars project and thought a good novel or two might do the trick. Are there any good reads out there for JC's campaign in Gaul or Britain? I'd prefer things from the Roman POV but could be flexible if there is a must read from the other. A book high on atmosphere, some good action, with inspiration for skirmishes and battles on the tabletop would be just what I'm after - strict historicity or high literature aren't necessary here.

On other threads here I see some mention of Simon Scarrow's Eagle series (and note one is even called Britannia!) but rather pucker up at the thought of charging through a dozen plus in the series. Any thoughts/guidance would be much appreciated!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: Good Fiction for Caesar's Gallic Campaign?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 07:46:59 PM »
Simon Scarrow's Eagle series is really great
Good stories and good inspiration

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 08:15:01 PM »
Scarrow is pretty mediocre in my opinion - I wouldn't put him in the top 10 of writers of historical Roman fiction.

You simply cannot go past Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome Series for the late Republic. Allan Massie has also written a number of books in that period, and Alfred Duggan's Winter Quarters and Three's Company are also great reads.

But start with McCullough.

Cheers

CW

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 08:27:25 PM »
Thank you both for the tips. Any books set during the Gallic campaigns in particular? Seems Scarrow is early Imperial while McCullough is set in Rome itself. I'm probably being too picky, I know...  :)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 08:52:24 PM »
"Nobody loves a centurion" by John Maddox Roberts. Part 6 of his SPQR series, but no need to read the previous ones first. Hands down my favourite historical novel series. This book set in the Gallic campaign is particularly good imho.

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 10:22:50 PM »
Thank you both for the tips. Any books set during the Gallic campaigns in particular? Seems Scarrow is early Imperial while McCullough is set in Rome itself.

Not sure where you got that from. The series roams the length and breadth of the Roman world, including with Caesar in Gaul.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 11:05:32 PM »
What a happy mistake! Can you give me a title or two? There are a lot of them...

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 12:43:46 AM »
Well, I went to Wikipedia and see that many of the Scarrow novels are set in Britannia (though in the reign of Claudius, not Caesar). Still, they should be a good place to start. A lot of what I want is atmosphere and scenario ideas, so they should work well. Thanks again for the input.

Offline Wookington

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 01:11:31 AM »
Conn Iggulden's series on Caesar has a few books set in Gaul during the campaign.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 02:48:21 AM »
Titles would really help! I had forgotten Conn Iggulden was part of the force behind the Dangerous Book For Boys, one of the greatest books ever.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 05:53:47 AM »
McCullough's Caesar devotes part of the novel to the Gallic Wars, but is just a part and not in detail. Scarrow's novels are set during Claudius reign, so too far from the period you are interested in. Iggulden's Emperor saga third instalment, Field of Swords, is set in the Gallic Wars.

Truth be told, I haven't found any fiction as interesting as Goldsworthy's biography of Caesar, or as the narrative of the wars by the man himself, De Bello Gallico.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 07:18:42 AM »
the "Marius' mules" by SJA TURNEY is a must for this period.

It' a fantastic saga starting with the helveltian revolt and actually we are at the start of the civil war.

Enjoy
Eric

Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 07:19:26 AM »
Scarrow is pretty mediocre in my opinion - I wouldn't put him in the top 10 of writers of historical Roman fiction.

You simply cannot go past Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome Series for the late Republic. Allan Massie has also written a number of books in that period, and Alfred Duggan's Winter Quarters and Three's Company are also great reads.

But start with McCullough.

Cheers

CW

Be warned that her Latin obscenities are less accurate than she sometimes thinks.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 01:02:19 PM »
I would recommend the SJA Turney's Marius mules series can't remember how many there are in the series, perhaps 6 or 7 books, they cover the whole period of the Gallic wars. I find the sparrow books rather samey but as they are set almost a hundred years later , not really relevant to the Gallic Wars. Although they often do have some interesting scenario's that you could use for the earlier period.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »
Gentlemen, thanks so much. The Turney books look perfect, just perfect. I may give Scarrow a go as well, because even if set in a later period it seems that a good deal of the action takes place on Britain against the tribes - as you've said, they could provide some great scenario fodder. Really appreciate the help. I'm excited to get going!