Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:45:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Good Fiction for Caesar's Gallic Campaign?  (Read 2776 times)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
Re: Good Fiction for Caesar's Gallic Campaign?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 05:12:18 PM »
Gentlemen, thanks so much. The Turney books look perfect, just perfect. I may give Scarrow a go as well, because even if set in a later period it seems that a good deal of the action takes place on Britain against the tribes - as you've said, they could provide some great scenario fodder. Really appreciate the help. I'm excited to get going!

Everything you neeed are in the Turney books.
Big battles, skirmish, ambush, gang warfare, political games, etc.....
It's the Gallic wars see from the inside of the legions has the main hero his a legate, close to caesar but not always agreed with him...
Nearly one book per year is produced. We are at the 10 th tome if i remember well.

Good reading !
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »
I will definitely second Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome Series.

Belay your concerns about them being set in Rome. They cover the whole gamut of the late republican era and take place throughout the whole of the Roman world starting with Marius & Sulla and leading into Caesar (his grandfather is the first Julius Caesar that you meet).

These books are really good and the only problem with them is that after you read them, anything else you read will seem second rate by comparison.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 01:36:16 PM »
Hi Daryl,

Like some of the others above, I thoroughly enjoy McCullough's Masters of Rome series. However, as Antonio mentioned on the previous page, the series only covers the later portion of the Gallic War. Caesar's Women ends in 59 BC and the next novel in the series, Caesar, skips 58-55 BC, and picks up the storyline in 54 BC.

For more detail and focus, I highly recommend Conquest of Gaul, the second volume in the Marching with Caesar series by RW Peake. The novel is told from the perspective of Titus Porcinianus Pullus, loosely based on Titus Pullo, a historical centurion in Caesar's 11th legion. He was also the inspiration for the character of Titus Pullo in the excellent TV miniseries Rome.

IMHO all three of the above are filled with highly engaging characters and terrific period flavour!

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:13:32 PM by A Lot of Gaul »
"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 02:44:59 PM »
Melnibonean, I'm getting the message I need to get cracking on McCullough!  :D I have every intention of doing so in the near future, I assure you. For someone who has never read any historical fiction set during Roman times, this has been an exciting, and enlightening, discussion. Clearly the table is a bounteous one.

Thank you kindly for the added (new!) recommendation, Scott! I hadn't heard of Peake before, so I'm doubly appreciative. Do you think it crucial to read the first in the series first? I only ask because my "to read" list is getting longer and longer.

Many thanks again to both of you.

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 04:58:04 PM »
Daryl,

Reading the first volume, Birth of the 10th Legion, would naturally provide background for the characters and the overall plot of the series. However, it is certainly not necessary, and IMHO Marching with Caesar is perfectly fine as a standalone book.

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:00:48 PM by A Lot of Gaul »

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 11:20:54 PM »
I'm trying to get the juices suitably flowing for a Gallic Wars project and thought a good novel or two might do the trick. Are there any good reads out there for JC's campaign in Gaul or Britain? I'd prefer things from the Roman POV but could be flexible if there is a must read from the other. A book high on atmosphere, some good action, with inspiration for skirmishes and battles on the tabletop would be just what I'm after - strict historicity or high literature aren't necessary here.

There's a series of graphic novels by Rene Goscinny and Albert Uderzo that present Caesar's invasion of Gaul from the perspective two Gallic warriors.  It's quite popular, lots of action to inspire skirmish gaming (if a bit one-sided).  Some historians might challenge the historical accuracy of the series ;)

HBO's Rome starts off with a couple of Roman soldiers in Caesar's army in Gaul, but the action pretty quickly moves back to Rome.  Great for atmosphere, though!

I only read the first of Scarrow's series - I was put off by the idea that a Roman centurion is just like a modern British army sergeant.  The series may have improved later but I guess I'll never know!

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 01:15:29 AM »
Scarrow is pretty mediocre in my opinion - I wouldn't put him in the top 10 of writers of historical Roman fiction.

You simply cannot go past Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome Series for the late Republic. Allan Massie has also written a number of books in that period, and Alfred Duggan's Winter Quarters and Three's Company are also great reads.

But start with McCullough.

Cheers

CW

I second the Alfred Duggan recommendation, all his stuff is excellent!

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 02:33:45 PM »
Will, this series of which you speak intrigues me. Literature from the  other point of view might be a good thing - and surely they would be a great resource for names and scenarios...  :D

Craig, consider Duggan on the list. Thank you, sir!

Scott, you are ever the gentleman: I raise a leg of boar in your direction, with a flagon of undiluted wine to wash it down with!

(First volume of Marius' Mules should, gods willing, arrive today by post.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 02:41:46 PM by Arundel »

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 01:07:09 PM »
Interesting thread.
Some of the titles i have, others i will search and buy them. :)

In case of comics i would advise VAE VICTIS - Rocca and Mitton.
Lovelly drawings with lots of ideas/info. A bit erotic but very usefull.

You also have EAGLES OF ROME - Marini.
Although this is set on the disaster of Teutoburg forest on Augustus period.
Very good drawings and lots of info.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 01:42:01 PM »
Interesting thread.
Some of the titles i have, others i will search and buy them. :)

In case of comics i would advise VAE VICTIS - Rocca and Mitton.
Lovelly drawings with lots of ideas/info. A bit erotic but very usefull.

You also have EAGLES OF ROME - Marini.
Although this is set on the disaster of Teutoburg forest on Augustus period.
Very good drawings and lots of info.

Ah ah !
Mister Rui knows his french comic's classic  ;)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 02:31:04 PM »
The wrong period, and technically children's books but I used to love the Eagle of the Ninth books by Rosemary Sutcliffe. I must have read Frontier Wolf a dozen times.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 02:26:19 PM »
Rumacara and Sir Theo, I appreciate the additional recommendations. I might move on to them next!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 03:06:37 PM »
Again a later period but I'd recommend Bridge of Sand, by John James (1976) set in AD 80. One of the few novels I've read that conveys the latent fear and distrust of Druidism and has something of a 'stranger in a strange land'/Vietnam War vibe. I particularly like the constant references to the wilds of Britannia as 'the jungle'...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 03:15:20 PM »
That's an excellent recommendation, SB. Atmosphere is a lot of what I'm looking for, and the creeping sense of "tribesmen lurking out there in the mist-enshrouded trees" is exactly what I'm looking for. This one looks long OOP, but there are still several used options and I will work on picking up a copy. I can't thank you enough!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 03:36:56 PM »
You are most welcome Arundel. I really enjoyed it and seriously toyed with gaming scenarios based upon it before the 'butterfly effect' wafted me on to other things...
Enjoy!