Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:03:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: YPU's Heavy Gear NEW: The South! page 3  (Read 7084 times)

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: YPU's Heavy Gear NEW: Hunter p.2
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 08:03:35 PM »
Also works, but I find that the finer sponge on the make-up ones does do the job for smaller scale models. I was going to make a point about their shape as well, but you can just rip those blister pads into any shape you want or need so that doesn't apply at all.  lol
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 11:24:03 AM »
Awesome; I love me some giant stompin' mechs. The paintjob and weathering are just great.

One minor quible though; lose the grass, as it makes the mech look like a man sized robot. Perhaps either use some small foam flock on the base as foliage, or alternatively, use some reindeer moss (strengthened with superglue) as a tree or large bush?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »
Awesome; I love me some giant stompin' mechs. The paintjob and weathering are just great.

One minor quible though; lose the grass, as it makes the mech look like a man sized robot. Perhaps either use some small foam flock on the base as foliage, or alternatively, use some reindeer moss (strengthened with superglue) as a tree or large bush?

Thanks!

I'ma going to defend my choice though, here. The Heavy gear suits are pretty small in-universe, The torso is barely large enough for a pilot to fit, the pilots head actually sticks into the robot head on some suits. (I shall take a picture with a pilot/infantry next) I deliberately chose to use some static grass to tie them to their scale a bit better. Now if these had been battletech scale I would have agreed.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 12:27:43 PM »
Ah, fair enough. I'm not too familiar with Heavy gear and assumed they're a Battletech equivalent... :)

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »
I will say, I just received an order of 4mm and 6mm grass tufts, and they are shorter than the ones I used here, so that will also help a bit. I plan to do some mixing though. Especially with the grey South gears they are from a jungle region, so they can have some decent growth on their bases I think.

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 01:54:15 PM »
Very cool. I always had a soft spot for the Hunter ever since I tried the old Heavy Gear card game that came in a VHS tape case :)
I also have the older bigger model.

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 02:11:54 PM »

Size reference shot for the lot,
in order, left to right: HG south infantry on their base, Northern plastic Hunter, 1/144 pilot figure from Wave, Southern Jager, Southern Caiman IFV, Northern Mammoth.

Very cool. I always had a soft spot for the Hunter ever since I tried the old Heavy Gear card game that came in a VHS tape case :)
I also have the older bigger model.

For me its the VOTOMS like vibe, there are some amazing scenes in that series that you can well recreate with heavy gear. IIRC that card game was the very first thing they made for Heavy Gear, very cool!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:14:11 PM by YPU »

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 07:02:39 PM »
Painted the first infantry team, since I wanted some painted to have around for reference. I figure most people on here don't know much about heavy gear, so I'm going to try and include some background info with the pictures.

As always more pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/ctLXp

These are a southern observation team. dirt cheap and pretty much only good for spotting for indirect fire resolutions. The big advantage of infantry in heavy gear is that most normal weapons can only inflict one point of damage, no matter how good you roll. Of course, there are plenty of anti-infantry weapons out there. The southern Jager on the right (and its northern hunter counterpart) both have integrated anti-infantry grenade launchers that turn the area around them into a death zone for the footsloggers.
The Hunter was the first real Heavy Gear developed in the setting, and very quickly stolen and reverse engineered by the south, both are quite venerable designs but have been kept updated to stay relevant continually and together are the most common combat gears on terra nova.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:14:05 PM by YPU »

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: YPU's Heavy Gear NEW: Infantry P.2
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 10:05:21 PM »
Great pictures, and lovely "fluff" additions too!

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: YPU's Heavy Gear NEW: Infantry P.2
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 11:58:33 AM »
Another model done during a break, and I mentioned modularity before, so let's get started with that!

On the left we have the same hunter from before, now kitted out as the destroyer hunter. It loses its light autocannon and panzerfausts but gains a medium bazooka. Good for hunting tanks and particularly tough gears!

On the right is the Jaguar, a strike gear and one of the most advanced models in general use by the North. It an improvement over the hunter on pretty much all aspects, faster and more accurate, as well as significantly more agile. In addition, it is airdrop capable, something the venerable hunter requires a significant overhaul to achieve. (a mech wearing a parachute pack is awesome though!) While equally armoured as the Hunter it's marginally less robust and damage will begin to show quicker. Here it is armed with a medium autocannon, a upgrade over the hunter's light and the same light rocket pod.

Now this Jaguar has its arms glued on unlike the hunter since you are likely to always have a couple of jaguars armed with MAC's. Instead, I have magnetized its head and added long pins to the shoulder weapons for modularity.

Here we have the Arrow Jaguar, while its launcher looks a lot less impressive than the default rocket pod, this is, in fact, a anti-tank missile, a guided weapon which when provided with target designator info can provide superior anti-armour firepower. It does lose its area of effect compared to the rocket pod, and missile weapons are at a significant disadvantage when fired without guiding info.

Now if that last bit makes you go "bring back the rocket pod!" I have just the thing for you. This is the Fire Jaguar, equipped with twin medium rocket pods, it's quite adept at splashing unguided rockets over an area.

All of these variants can be upgraded to a Thunder Jaguar, a command version of the gear which comes with improved communication systems and a satellite uplink. All models with a satup link count as being information with each other, allowing commanders to distribute target designator info from far away recon gears or more effectively command their unit when its spread out over the field. (heavy gear allows your units to split up all over the place) Finally, in rare cases, it can also be used to acquire target designation on off table elements, such as far from artillery positions. All for the price of having an ugly white knob on its back!

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: YPU's Heavy Gear NEW: Jaguar P.2
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 07:25:53 AM »
Well the forum is up again and I did some more painting, not nearly enough to play a game but some.

First of we have maybe my favourite gear, the ferret!

The ferret is one of the norths oldest recon gears, it's so small its driver has to lay back inside the torso instead of the regular sitting position. The Ferret as a unique secondary movement system, in its "but wheel" unlike the wheels on the heels of most gears the ferret needs to sit down to use its SMS but does have excellent speed when doing so. Armed with a very light rocket pod and a pack gun the ferret mostly makes use of its ageing but effective sensor and target designation systems to fulfil its role.

Variant wise we first have the sniper ferret, which replaces the pack gun with a light rifle, allowing for engagement at greater range, though with a much-reduced rate of fire.

Lastly, we have the wild ferret, an attempt to update the ageing weasel with a top-notch electronic warfare suite though at the cost of its rocket pod and target designator, this variant is wholly focused upon scrambling enemy systems and targeting equipment. It does also come with a satellite uplink, which the regular ferret lacks allowing for great battlefield communications.

The ferret is my favourite design, and one of the better plastic models from dp9 imho a few of the details are a bit washed out but in general, the shape is well defined and it comes with both a standing/walking set of legs and a folded down motorcycle mode pair.

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: YPU's Heavy Gear NEW:multiple gears page 3
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 07:47:25 AM »
So if the ferret is old, what is replacing it? The Cheetah did! Just as fast but with superior fire-control systems, the cheetah is popular among pilots. It carries the same category of target designator as the ferret but comes with ECM standard, making it a pain to the enemy. Armament wise the cheetah also packs the universal pack gun, but carries a slightly heavier light rocket pod, combined with the superior fire-controls this makes it a slightly stronger combatant than the ferret but still one best kept out of the line of fire.

If that isn't enough for you, the white cat cheetah replaces its shoulders with even more advanced electronics suites, providing unprecedented sensor range, counter ECM capabilities and a satellite uplink. The pack gun is also replaced by a light autocannon, allowing for increased range.

Fully magnetized model of course

There is also another variant, the strike cheetah which replaces its target designator with a light bazooka, I have the arm for it but dropped it during priming managing to lose the light bazooka it came with, still beating myself up over that. I'll replace it with a southern LBZ since I don't have any northern ones left.  :-[

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 07:59:42 AM »
How about something a bit heavier next?

This is the Grizzly, the Norths dedicated fire support and strike gear. Worthy of its name the Grizzly is heavily armoured and its second movement system is track based since regular wheels won't bear its weight. Its default loadout consists of a Heavy autocannon for direct fire, a medium guided mortar to make use of the target designators mentioned on the recon gears, a twin pair of medium rocket pods for armor piercing area saturation fire, a heavy machinegun build into the torso for anti-infantry fire and a trusty pack gun for close defence. Tough and rugged, the grizzly also has an autopilot system allowing it to utilise multiple weapons with responsive fire. (basically, the grizzly gets an extra action when going on overwatch)

One of the more common variants is the destroyer grizzly, which replaces the heavy autocannon with a heavy bazooka, granting it a devastating direct fire opion.

During earth's invasion of terra nova even the destroyer grizzly didn't provide adequate firepower to counter the CEF's hovertanks heavy armour, so a common field mod was to replace its rocket pods and mortar with medium anti-tank missiles taken from the clem tank. This variant is commonly known as the crossbow grizzly.

Any of these variants can be upgraded to a thunder grizzly, a dedicated command option which adds a satellite uplink and improved com equipment allowing for more effective communication of targeting data.

The grizzly model comes with posable elbows in the arm. I added a magnet to the underside of its main weapon hand, allowing metal pins to slide in from the top and making the main weapons modular, quite happy with how it turned out.

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 08:16:01 AM »
As mentioned the Grizzly, while a big bad machine still had trouble dealing with the CEF's hovertanks, and that is where the Kodiak came in. Think of the Kodiak as a double grizzly. Its bigger, it's even better armoured, it systems are all round superior and it comes with cutting-edge weaponry, powered by one of the most powerfull powerplant V-engines ever build.
By default the Kodiak caries a medium particle accelerator, which can melt trough most armor and scramble the systems of any target. Building on the crossbow grizzly field mod, the Kodiak comes with a light anti tank missile launcher on its back, and shoulder-mounted medium rocket pod. It doubles up on the heavy machine gun found in the grizzlies torso and also caries anti-personal charges for extreme close defence against the CEF's genetically engineers soldiers, the GRELS. The Kodiak is new and expansive, so its only piloted by veteran and ace pilots, many regimental dualists of the north pilot a Kodiak.

The particle accelerator is a very new weapon for terra nova, reverse engineered from CEF weaponry during the first invasion. Because it is not always available it's not uncommon to see Kodiak's equipped with a Heavy bazooka to provide cheaper but still highly effective firepower as the destroyer Kodiak.

Alternatively, they may be equipped with a heavy rotary cannon, becoming pretty much terra nova's equivalent of the a-10 warthog, known as the chaingun Kodiak.

Another cool model from DP9, this is the only one chat really captures the chunkiness that the metal models all have. The larger hands allowed me to double up on magnets in there, making for a very sturdy connection with the swappable weapons.

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 08:20:25 AM »
I hope somebody is enjoying all this heavy gear nerdiness as much as I am, to close off this page full spam of posts, here is a group picture to show the relative sizes of the gears (which does really play into the game) as well as an objective piece I hope to replicate another 5 times.

Terra Nova is mostly a desert planet with subterrane rivers so water tanks and pumps like this make sense as objectives on their own, or good hiding spots for secret cash of info or materials.