Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:07:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690526
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Submachine Gun Use in the First World War  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Submachine Gun Use in the First World War
« on: November 26, 2017, 07:53:42 PM »
I've been thinking about our use/depiction of submachine guns (aka machine pistols) and, for want of a better term, "automatic rifles,"  in our WWI and early interwar period games.  Ideally, it should follow the scale of issuance and the doctrine of the period.  But, following onto what a friend of my 22-years old son calls "the rule of cool," we (and figure manufacturers) probably are over-representing these weapons (which become far more commonplace in WW II).  They are both distinguishable in tactical use from the far more common light and medium machine guns (which serve different tactical functions; the MMG is equipped with a tripod/sled mount and capable of sustained fire; the LMG can accompany and support attacking troops; the SMG is up with the assault elements and has a more limited ammo provision).  As the Wikipedia article notes, regarding the German MP 18,  at least 5,000 MP 18.1s were built and used during World War I (based upon observed serial number ranges of captured weapons), being issued to some Sturmtruppen (Stosstruppen) companies for the Kaisershlacht offnesive (however, it is possible that up to 10,000 were built for the war).  Contrast that with MG 08 production (In 1914, some 200 MG 08s were produced each month, by 1916 the number had increased to 3,000; and in 1917 to 14,400 per month.)  The MP 18 was intended as an assault weapon for select troops (with one man to be backed up by several riflemen carrying spare ammunition).  And it is dwarfed by rifle issuance (ultimately in the millions).
  The only other "large-scale" user of machine pistols in WW I is Italy, with its Villar-Perosa (officially called the Revelli Modelo 1915) issued to Arditi troops (Italian equivalent of Stosstruppen).  Although it fires only a pistol-cartridge and therefore has a short range, the Italians (at least at first) tried using it like a light machine gun (with a crew of three !).     

Offline DeltaBlue

• Bookworm
  • wait who planted the claymore?!?
Re: Submachine Gun Use in the First World War
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
I believe this is the age old question history and real life usage VS wargaming and the wargaming rules.

If it helps  view Submachine guns in WW1 as  only one sub-category of the larger concept of a “trench broom” which includes shotguns (on the allied side), carbines, semi-automatic pistol and pistol carbinse.
This concept name gives use insight to its tactical role, a weapon that is small enough in size to be used within a trench or others close quarters situations, with the aim of rapidly overcoming the trenches defenders Rather than in a prolong fire support role or long range suppression. The role you rightly identify as normally fulfilled by MMG’s or LMG’s.

I would use the category “automatic rifles” in case of either; LMG’s designed with the doctrine of “advancing fire” examples would be the B.A.R, Chauchat.  The second case would be the few semi-auto rifles used or trailed.
GM (me) - you spot a 70 year old grey hair little old lady.. Clutching large leather bound book and a uzi.

“Tom”- “She has a Book!!!”

“Danny”- “I put a bust of M4 fire between her eyes” rolls…

Phil- “if he misses I put a shotgun slug in her face” 

That’s the Delta green baby"

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 07:24:33 PM »
 I agree that, unless you are playing a very detailed skirmish game were even individual pistol shots are rolled for, SMGs can and should be lumped in with other "trench brooms" (the approach that "Through the Mud and Blood" takes).  Automatic Rifles would include the Mondragon, Chauchat, BAR and probably the Madsen, and would be capable of keeping up with the other infantry in the attack while firing from the hip and shoulder.  Lt MGs (MG08/15 and Lewis) could keep up with the infantry in the advance, but would be picking positions from which they could provide suppressive fire.

Offline monk2002uk

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 08:18:38 AM »
FWIIW, the British defined the Lewis gun as an automatic rifle, along with the MG08/15. The distinction between automatic rifles and machine guns was made of the basis of being able to lay down indirect fire on fixed lines, which requires a tripod.

Robert

Offline DeltaBlue

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
I agree that, unless you are playing a very detailed skirmish game were even individual pistol shots are rolled for, SMGs can and should be lumped in with other "trench brooms" (the approach that "Through the Mud and Blood" takes).  Automatic Rifles would include the Mondragon, Chauchat, BAR and probably the Madsen, and would be capable of keeping up with the other infantry in the attack while firing from the hip and shoulder.  Lt MGs (MG08/15 and Lewis) could keep up with the infantry in the advance, but would be picking positions from which they could provide suppressive fire.

but I suppose in large scale games where equipment for units is less defined per say, I would simple use models armed with SMGs to represent the unit being geared towards assault

FWIIW, the British defined the Lewis gun as an automatic rifle, along with the MG08/15. The distinction between automatic rifles and machine guns was made of the basis of being able to lay down indirect fire on fixed lines, which requires a tripod.

Robert

true

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 11:21:06 PM »
"but I suppose in large scale games where equipment for units is less defined per say, I would simple use models armed with SMGs to represent the unit being geared towards assault"

I tend to use troops with grenades to designate that.  There is also the approach taken by Bloody Picnic, a set of rules that can be used at either the brigade () or divisional basis), where the firepower of each stand (played at the brigade level each stand represents a platoon; at the divisional level game a stand represents a company) the number of troops and the equipment inherent to it.  So submachine gun-equipped troops add to the firepower of the stand at close range (how much depends on the number of such weapons in the stand) as do LMGs at all ranges  (MMGs are generally on their own stands). 

Offline DeltaBlue

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 11:52:31 AM »
"but I suppose in large scale games where equipment for units is less defined per say, I would simple use models armed with SMGs to represent the unit being geared towards assault"

I tend to use troops with grenades to designate that.  There is also the approach taken by Bloody Picnic, a set of rules that can be used at either the brigade () or divisional basis), where the firepower of each stand (played at the brigade level each stand represents a platoon; at the divisional level game a stand represents a company) the number of troops and the equipment inherent to it.  So submachine gun-equipped troops add to the firepower of the stand at close range (how much depends on the number of such weapons in the stand) as do LMGs at all ranges  (MMGs are generally on their own stands).  

ah I see, never used bloody Picnic rules, personally I use my own conversion of warhammer's Great war, basically I swap from battalion level to company level so each company, becomes a platoon, each platoon becomes a section within that platoon, then I adjust the issuing of equipment and special rules. if I do a trench raiding game or a ww1 pulp/horror game I use in her majesty name.    
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:03:55 PM by DeltaBlue »